Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What kind of a guy was Steve McQueen? Check this out. He once lived next door to actor James Garner. Garner was fastidious about his grounds and lawn care. Every shrub had to be perfectly trimmed at all times, not a weed to be found... you get the picture. Well, one day McQueen discovered that if he rolled his empty beer cans just so, they ended up scattered at the end of Garner's driveway. He cluttered the drive and hid. Sure enough, Garner arrived home, hopped from his car and began fuming and shouting. :mad: McQueen stifled his laughter in the bushes. Day after day, McQueen pulled this prank, until finally the day came when Garner figured it out. "I can't believe how long it took him," McQueen said. :rotfl: :lol: TRUE STORY.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
StvMcQueen said:
What kind of a guy was Steve McQueen? Check this out. He once lived next door to actor James Gardner. Gardner was fastidious about his grounds and lawn care. Every shrub had to be perfectly trimmed at all times, not a weed to be found... you get the picture. Well, one day McQueen discovered that if he rolled his empty beer cans just so, they ended up scattered at the end of Gardner's driveway. He cluttered the drive and hid. Sure enough, Gardner arrived home, hopped from his car and began fuming and shouting. :mad: McQueen stifled his laughter in the bushes. Day after day, McQueen pulled this prank, until finally the day came when Gardner figured it out. "I can't believe how long it took him," McQueen said. :rotfl: :lol: TRUE STORY.
Thanks Jim,

I likeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol: :lol: :lol:

Terry

·
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LeadFoot said:
You mean James Garner?
Yeah, Leadfoot. My bad. Note corrected spelling above. What, are you an English major?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
you should pick up a copy of the "american rebel" book.
lots of good stories like the one posted.

·
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jimbo020 said:
you should pick up a copy of the "american rebel" book.
lots of good stories like the one posted.
Thanks for the tip. I will.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Actually Steve reportedly said about the Garner incident, "...So, just to pi** him, I started lobbing empty beer cans down the hill into his driveway."

"In McQueen's eyes, Garner was invading his turf, and Steve felt that he was the only actor in Hollywood who had really earned the respect of professional race car drivers...Steve felt that Garner was only 'play acting.' page 140 from Portrait of an American Rebel (which I highly recommend.)

Here's the link to the one I bought (compare the cover shots of each book). Looks like the book is being updated with a publish date of 10/2008. My edition is 2005.

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-McQueen...=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211920217&sr=1-8

·
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, Charliehorse, you guys asked for this. First, I can see that "fastidious" is over the top around here, so strike that word and insert "picky." (Besides, it's obvious you're unfamiliar with the word, because you misspelled it). Secondly, I am so, so sorry for offending everyone by misspelling Mr. GARNER'S name. Didn't know he was held in such high esteem, er, didn't know he was SO WELL THOUGHT OF around here. Lastly, I'm giving up on trying to be lighthearted and funny around here, because it's kind of obvious that most of you have the sense of humor of a cardboard box. And that's all I have to say about that. (Fuddy-Duddies). :lol: opps... I mean :neutral:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Thats the guy from "Rockford files"........

·
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eee-gads!

Pronkie1 said:
Thats the guy from "Rockford files"........
Cool car, Pronkie. But, explain to me just how a streetcar is winning the race? Foot slip off the clutch? :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
StvMcQueen said:
Okay, Charliehorse, you guys asked for this. First, I can see that "fastidious" is over the top around here, so strike that word and insert "picky." (Besides, it's obvious you're unfamiliar with the word, because you misspelled it). Secondly, I am so, so sorry for offending everyone by misspelling Mr. GARNER'S name. Didn't know he was held in such high esteem, er, didn't know he was SO WELL THOUGHT OF around here. Lastly, I'm giving up on trying to be lighthearted and funny around here, because it's kind of obvious that most of you have the sense of humor of a cardboard box. And that's all I have to say about that. (Fuddy-Duddies). :lol: opps... I mean :neutral:
ooops... did I missmell it? :lol:

·
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cdynaco said:
ooops... did I missmell it? :lol:
You're sure good at jerking chains, aren't you? Peace, brother (Piece?).:lol:

·
Registered
243 Posts
cdynaco said:
I just figured the story was referring to James the gardener... since he was so festidious about the lawn... :wink:
Oh My Freakin' Gosh!! :rotfl: That's the hardest I've laughed in months!! My daughter is thinking, my mind is totally gone now, cuz, I just can't quit bursting out in laughter! :lol: :lol: :lol: Ahhhhhh...I needed that!
And, StvMcQueen, thanks for the cute story, it ALSO made me laugh!! :lol: Just picturing Steve, being ornery like that, makes me wonder...what is it, about our human nature, that makes us not be able to resist throwing rocks at a hornets' nest, or poke sticks at snakes, or throw empty beer cans in James Garners' driveway??? The REBEL in us??? LOL LOL LOL!

·
39,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fcastle said:
StvMcQueen is a whinner...
Hey! That's "WINNER," not "WHINNER!" WHATSAMATTA YOU? :evil: :lol:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Mcqueen was furious that Garner was making "Grand Prix" with his "Lemans" in the works. They pretty much were no longer friends after that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts