Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I wanted to get into the shifter to make a minor adjustment to the lever but found that I can't get the darn ring off...None of my wrenches fit!
It looks like a very small allen will do...anyone know the right size I need?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Pull off the whole trim piece. No tools necessary. Just grab it behind the shifter where the boot meets the panel and lift upward.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya got me Trublu!...Actually I KNEW I would want an aftermarket shifter after one test drive (having used a Hurst in my old Cobra)...and the dealer had Steeda Tri-Ax's there...so I made them throw it in the deal...installtion too. Not bad eh? :smile: :-B

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are referring to the oval aluminum colored bezel that "holds" the "leather boot"? It is plastic and the allen bolts are plastic. I wasn't sure either. I see you asked the question a while ago but some other folks might like to know the answer.

You have to pop off the whole consol cover below the radio, starting where it meets the carpet on either side. Look in a Chilton's, they show it on a '98. It feels like you're busting it off. One discription, it's like pulling off a motorcycle helmit. Pull the top part forward, there's a tab on the very front edge that will break off if you don't roll the upper section (near the radio) 1st. Is that confusing enough?? :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frank on 2001-11-19 23:43 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good description Frank. I was able to do this job a while back, but now I may be removing the ring after all...I just ordered an aluminum ring to replace the stock plastic one. We'll see :smile:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Hank.
I ordered from Pat Haney. I think he still has the special rate going for Bullittclub people. He's sending it today.
He warned me to check it our in the car for color match and then send it back if I don't like it. He said even the brushed version (that I ordered) may be too bright. I have a feeling it will match up well with the MGW stuff so I'm not too worried.
I have no idea what the install will be like. Here's the link to see it:
http://digitalstorefronts.com/store/temp6.asp?cartid=7229&itemNum=6654

Black#5578 born Wed 8-22-01
SteedaTri-Ax,DensChrgr100mm,MGW satin & shift handle,FordRcng3.73's & Alum.Drvshft,rear mudgrds,30mm H&R spacers rear whls,AutoLogic chip

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dennis on 2001-11-20 13:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
For 109.00, I'll keep my plastic one. Can you really tell the difference?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-20 14:46, Y2K16T8 wrote:
For 109.00, I'll keep my plastic one. Can you really tell the difference?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Pat's letting me check it out. If I'm not happy I'll send it back. I think his offer for us is $10-$20 off this price, but I forgot to ask him. I'll let you guys know if I see a big difference...If I wind up installing it I'll take pics for ya

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the aluminum ring from Haney today! Here's the scoop...
Removing the old plastic ring is indeed a snap-out operation requiring no tools. I first removed the entire shifter-cig.lighter housing as described above, then popped out the old ring.
The new ring is brushed aluminum and therefore brighter than the old plastic. The new ring perfectly matches the MGW p-brake handle and other accessories.
Installing required the drilling of six very small holes with the drill bit included (and I used the new ring as a template) and then screwing in the six allen bolts with the allen wrench provided. If ever you wish to return to the stock Bullitt plastic ring it will cover up the six holes totally.
It's a ten minute mod! I'm very pleased with Pat's service and special price for Bullitclub members.
Pics will come later.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm beyond all help and loving it :grin:
I'm glad I have an understanding wife.

As an interesting aside...Pat Haney said this ring (manufactured by a friend of his) was supposed to be THE RING used on Bullitts, but was replaced at the last minute by the plastic.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-27 17:09, Dennis wrote:
As an interesting aside...Pat Haney said this ring (manufactured by a friend of his) was supposed to be THE RING used on Bullitts, but was replaced at the last minute by the plastic.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Sounds like a Paper Flames Racing product. Good stuff, lots of carbon fiber parts in his catalog.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Did you ever find out what the price would be for this? I agree taht it would be nice, but I'm not so sure it's $109.00 nice;-)...

Thanks.

Bud

1 - 17 of 17 Posts