Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally found a station in CA that sells 100 ocatne gas. Is it ok to use 100 octane gas with a 93 octane tune? I have been using my 91 octane breenspeed tune which is fine. Just wanna try the 93 octane tune for 1 tank and see if its much of a difference,.

·
Registered
47 Posts
who the hell sell 100 octane

·
Registered
930 Posts
Might be the same as in Germany - they're using the Research Octane Number instead of the Road Octane Number to make it sound like they're selling 'higher-powered' gas - here our octane values are 93, 95 and 98 across the range of fuels (or 100 if you use Shell V-Power Racing), but it's more or less the same as you have in the US. Just mention to your tuner what brand you use and he/she should be able to tweak it for you accordingly.

·
Registered
718 Posts
There are a number of gas stations in California, Nevada, and Arizona that sell 100 octane. They are found where high performance boats run.

My second home is at the Colorado River north of Lake Havesu. The "norm" in some places are 28-35 foot custom boats w/ blown 502, 509, 565ci engines (sometimes two). I have been places where my 25.5 foot Hallett bowrider was considerd small and saw the big boat owners use 19' Bayliners as floating trashcans. There are a lot of people with a lot of money for boats, unreal.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My personal experience has shown a dramatic increase in power without a tune using 100+ octane non-leaded race fuel. That's not to say it's totally safe, but modern high performance engines will typically advance the timing when this high octane fuel is added.

·
Registered
40 Posts
jymontoya said:
My personal experience has shown a dramatic increase in power without a tune using 100+ octane non-leaded race fuel. That's not to say it's totally safe, but modern high performance engines will typically advance the timing when this high octane fuel is added.

I don't think the street engine has that capability. I am a little behind the curve on new technologies but the old technology required that octane busters be added which meant less fuel per gallon and thus less power UNLESS the engine was designe for the higher compressions which required the higher octane.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Back to the original question, a 93 octane tune should give you a bit more power than the 91. I'd love to know based on dyno data. My guess is that it would be just barely noticeable on the 'butt' dyno.

If you put 100 octane in the tank and run a 93 tune, this should be safe, but it won't make more power. There is no octane sensing or automatic octane based spark advance routine in the program.

If you have 100 available and can get a 100 octane tune -- now that will make some power!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
sounds right to me Cobrat. I didnt think the stock tune went past 93 oct.allthough in the 70 s when I was driving a coupe de ville used to get airplane gas . I believe it was 110 octane . Car would perform but mileage was crap.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Back in the day, with a good old 11 to 1 high compression motor, carburetors, and non electronic ignition, you would get the highest octane gas you could find, and go for it. Today, I don't think going from 93 to 100 octane will make a difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is a 76 station by me that sells 100 octane pump. Cost's an arm and a leg, my 58 VW bug ran of the stuff 11.6:1, 2.3 liter with dual 48 webers fun little monster. But if it was run on a tune for 93 you wont have to wory about pinging at all. I also run the breenspeed tune set on 91 and noticed very light pinging during WOT but nothing serious and yes I run 91 octane.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So if the car lings on the 91 octane brenspeed tune how do you fix it? Will the pinging hurt the motor? Does it actualy sound like a ping noise I dont think I have ever heard it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I work with performance VW's and deal with alot of high power air cooled vw's. I have heard serious pinging like engine damaging pinging and the 91 octane tune dosent even come close to that, most stock cars, trucks will have a very slight ping under a WOT stomp. It is not a loud pinging sound, but more of a rapid thud kinda sound, hard to explain, and in extreme cases you can feel it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.