Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,226 Posts
Custom dyno tune via Diablo handheld. The actual unit is limited compared to the SCT, but with it, I can develop a custom dyno tune (with any, all and/or more parameters than the SCT) and flash it into the PCM via the Predator. You are going to want to see the results of the tune anyway, so this is why I went this route. I like the real time data logger on my laptop too. Pretty neat feature.

...if I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with the SCT, but at the time, it didn't exist, so the predator was the only thing available. I am not going to change, it does what I need it to do. I think they are all close in price if I remember correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MustangMarkus said:
Custom dyno tune via Diablo handheld. The actual unit is limited compared to the SCT, but with it, I can develop a custom dyno tune (with any, all and/or more parameters than the SCT) and flash it into the PCM via the Predator. You are going to want to see the results of the tune anyway, so this is why I went this route. I like the real time data logger on my laptop too. Pretty neat feature.

...if I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with the SCT, but at the time, it didn't exist, so the predator was the only thing available. I am not going to change, it does what I need it to do. I think they are all close in price if I remember correctly.
i like that i can data long with the x3 and i have wideband and if i understood the manual correctly i can run my wideband into the x3 and it will log that also. it should work with a bullitt right? they said 99-04 mustang gt and they had mach 1 and cobras seperate. id assume the computers are the same for the bullitt and gt right?
 

·
Car Whisperer
Joined
·
21,578 Posts
I have the Diablo and an Xcal2. The Diablo tune is in it now. I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you plan at some point to have a dyno tune done, then I would check with the shop in your area that you would have do it and see what they would want you to have so you don't have to purchase another one at that point. then you would be ready to go.
 

·
Charles
Joined
·
13,307 Posts
I'm no expert but I will make this statement as a question for those who know.

Short of having it dynotuned, wouldn't it be a good idea of buying from a supplier that has created the custom tunes specifically for the Bullitt. I would think my question is true based on the differences in air intake, throttle body, and intake manifold between the Bullitt and the GT.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
978 Posts
I use an SCT Xcal2 (on my daily driver '07 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor) which provides for speedometer recalibration, engine tune and shift point adjustment. It also holds all the previous factory settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bullitt 736 said:
I'm no expert but I will make this statement as a question for those who know.

Short of having it dynotuned, wouldn't it be a good idea of buying from a supplier that has created the custom tunes specifically for the Bullitt. I would think my question is true based on the differences in air intake, throttle body, and intake manifold between the Bullitt and the GT.
the tuner gives you options for what mods you have. i dont think anyone makes a bullitt one. if you get a custom tune from them i dont think it matters. i have a place that tunes by me and they use sct. i really dont think the computer in the bullitt is any different from a gt so it wouldnt matter anyway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
I have an SCT Xcal3. The main reason I got it is because my local dyno guy is an SCT dealer and thats the equipment he uses. I've also heard good things about the SCT products. If you plan on dynoing your car, talk to the local dyno shop/tuner to see what tuner they use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,443 Posts
Tunaz? Why I always use............

........Starkist. Guaranteed "Dolphin Safe".

Oh! You meant TUNERS !

mea culpa :redface:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
I'm no expert but I will make this statement as a question for those who know.

Short of having it dynotuned, wouldn't it be a good idea of buying from a supplier that has created the custom tunes specifically for the Bullitt. I would think my question is true based on the differences in air intake, throttle body, and intake manifold between the Bullitt and the GT.
When I bought my SCT Xcal it asked for the code on the ECU. So, it will know it's for a Bullitt, and has all the information there. It also asked what mods I had done, and what mods I had planned. It came with a free tune for the mods listed, and others available if requested via mail order for a fee. Hope that helps Charles.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
If you plan on buying one, I would consider having it dyno tuned to ensure the car is running properly after loading the tune (or at least consider buying a good wideband O2 sensor). I own an XCal2 and have had nothing but problems with the canned tunes. Apparently my Bullitt doesn't care for advanced timing at all. With the factory tune installed, I must run 89 to keep it from detonation. If I run 93 in the car, I cannot run either the 91 or the 93 canned tunes. If I try running the 87 canned tune, it makes some pretty harsh backlash issues come about. I paid to have custom tunes written, but that didn't seem to help the issues with the detonation at all. And if I retard the timing on the 91 or 93 tunes, it doesn't seem to help at all. Fearing that the XCal2 would not work with my particular car, I just put the factory tune back in and left it alone. Maybe one day I will dyno the car, but since it's all stock I probably won't. For now I have a very expensive code scanner :evil:. Keep in mind that a lot of people have had really great luck with their XCal2, I'm just not one of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
To help with an idea for your car not liking the advanced timing....

Drop your plugs down at least one level colder. I have a Diablo Predator. I can't complain about it, it does what it does. I am using it truely because I came across an awesome deal for way cheap.

Back to the plugs. Mine didn't like WOT and the Diablo settings. It would run lean. Richened it up in the Diablo and nothing. Just didn't like it. I wanna say I had NGX TR55's in there. Did some digging around found out about dropping the heat range, so now there's TR6 (I may have them backwards) in there now. More WOOSAW less marbles in a can!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
I thought about swapping to colder plugs, but after I thought about the work required and the minimal gains that I was going to get, I just let it go. Sometimes I wish distributors were still around--this kinda stuff is easy with them. I'm glad to hear though that I'm not the only one with a sensitive Bullitt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hollow_point said:
If you plan on buying one, I would consider having it dyno tuned to ensure the car is running properly after loading the tune (or at least consider buying a good wideband O2 sensor). I own an XCal2 and have had nothing but problems with the canned tunes. Apparently my Bullitt doesn't care for advanced timing at all. With the factory tune installed, I must run 89 to keep it from detonation. If I run 93 in the car, I cannot run either the 91 or the 93 canned tunes. If I try running the 87 canned tune, it makes some pretty harsh backlash issues come about. I paid to have custom tunes written, but that didn't seem to help the issues with the detonation at all. And if I retard the timing on the 91 or 93 tunes, it doesn't seem to help at all. Fearing that the XCal2 would not work with my particular car, I just put the factory tune back in and left it alone. Maybe one day I will dyno the car, but since it's all stock I probably won't. For now I have a very expensive code scanner :evil:. Keep in mind that a lot of people have had really great luck with their XCal2, I'm just not one of them.
i have wideband that i will be taking out of my fox body. i think for now im gonna hold off on the tuner till i read more about some other companies. im kinda likin the diablo a little bit but idk yet. i have heard of the sct tunes being junk, but i would feel comfertable enough to mess around with them and try and work them to use them as a base line. maby the x3 would be alittle better with the bullitt. they ask for the computer code so u think it would be ok with that computer

hollow_point said:
I wish distributors were still around--this kinda stuff is easy with them.
i agree with you on that... i love my fox. when i run n2o i get the timing light out and the distributor wrench and nock back some timing and im good to go. more n2o the more i have to twist the distributor.... its just to easy:smile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Hey all

What amount of gain do we get when using a tune from SCT on our Bullitt's?? For example, what Horse power gains, etc...??

Thanks
TJ
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top