Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just picked up the SCT3 tunner and installed the tune that was pre-loaded. Great feel and responce. One of the options taht is allowed by the end user is spark advance and retarding. I also tuned it to run on 91 octane fule. Not sure if there is a huge difference, but what would be a good spark advance or retard in the 0-2000, 2000-4000, and 4000-6500 rpm range. The available advances/retards are 0-2000 +2/-8
2000-4000 +2-8 and 4000-6500 +1/-(not sure). The only reason I want to know this is because I don't have the money to get it customed tuned right now. Any help would be awsome!!

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Be careful. If you don't have the money for a custom tune then I'm guessing you don't have the money for a new engine if you adjust things incorrectly and end up with a burned piston.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Glad to hear the tunes worked out well for you! I've had nothing but troubles with mine. I bought an XCal2 in August and I've been unable to run any of the tunes provided. Both 91 and 93 ping, and the 87 has so much backlash in it I can't let off the gas and get back on without it abusing my drivetrain. Did you have to take any timing out for either the 91 or 93?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hollow_point said:
Glad to hear the tunes worked out well for you! I've had nothing but troubles with mine. I bought an XCal2 in August and I've been unable to run any of the tunes provided. Both 91 and 93 ping, and the 87 has so much backlash in it I can't let off the gas and get back on without it abusing my drivetrain. Did you have to take any timing out for either the 91 or 93?
Not that I know of. After reading the last post I just installed the pre-programed one. I also have the SCT3 and downloaded the new firm ware and updates. You can go to http://www.sctflash.com to download the new updates and drivers to the tunner that you have. All you need is a USB cable to connect it to your computer and follow the steps on the site. If all else fails just contact them and tell them whats going on. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with the tunner and I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Thanks for the advice. So far I've tried everything. Starting with going back to whom I bought it from, to paying someone to write a custom tune, and now finally to talking with SCT. My Bullitt has low miles and I datalogged it to see if I could find anything wrong with the car that may lend itself to the pinging problems. I think I just have one of those 4.6's that don't care for much additional timing--bummer! But do enjoy the new tunes that you've loaded up. Up until the point of pinging, I love the way my Bullitt was pulling after the install.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hollow_point said:
Thanks for the advice. So far I've tried everything. Starting with going back to whom I bought it from, to paying someone to write a custom tune, and now finally to talking with SCT. My Bullitt has low miles and I datalogged it to see if I could find anything wrong with the car that may lend itself to the pinging problems. I think I just have one of those 4.6's that don't care for much additional timing--bummer! But do enjoy the new tunes that you've loaded up. Up until the point of pinging, I love the way my Bullitt was pulling after the install.
Now when you say pinging do you mean like the knocking noise from detonation or like a tapping sound? Because if its the tapping sound then we both have the same problem.
The tapping -Mainly the DRIVER SIDE!- sound is actualy (according to a Ford TSB) something wrong with the valetrain itself. Something to do with the valve guide or something. And the worst part about it, is that its not covered under warranty. hit me back IF this is the case.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was posted by GTron on another thread

Ford Motor Company told dealers that 4.6 2V engines built prior to 29 September 2003 and installed in 2001 through 2004 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles may have defective cylinder heads. (2001 -2004 Mustangs GT's were amoung the 4.6 vehicles listed in the article.)
According to Ford, the 4.6L engines "may exhibit an engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. The noise may be emanating from the valve guide area in the cylinder head. The noise may be more prevalent at the front wheel area and may not be heard with the hood opened."
Unfortunately Ford may not notify owners of this action and will only perform service to those who know what to ask for in order to get their vehicles fixed. It's part of Ford's secret warranty program - aka "If you don't ask we won't tell."

Owner's should contact their Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealership service center to perform service T-31604 or Pat Hoye (313)248-8336 at Ford World Headquarter. Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty expires."

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I don't seem to have any tapping (yet). The noise is defintly pinging. It occurs ~ 3900rpm with the tunes I've tried so far. When stock, it doesn't make a peep. When do you here your tapping, at idle or while cruising?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I happen to have the valve guide problem. The damn tapping or ticking sound is there at all rpm's and temps. I'm going to have to either replace the head with a stock one or just suck it up and get some stage 2 heads and cams.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I'm under the impression that if your forced to fix something, always fix it to go faster. This way you'll no longer be bitter about it once you drive the car and it's much quicker than before :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts