Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I wanted a turbo for 1667 and spoke with these guys. They climed that turbos are not only more reliable but cause less wear and tear on the motor. They also said that their kit will fit the bullitt because their chip is custom made for the bullitt. I have just a few questions for the people that rally know about this stuff or have experence, please no rumors or "I heard about this guy once..." type stories. If you could please post any answers to the following questions.
#1. Ever hear anything about this company
#2. Anyone know someone with a turbo 4.6
#3. Are turbos more safe or just a sales pitch.
#4. Are exaust upgrades wothless with turbo kits, I have been told by someone that his turbo LT-1 recieved no more power after exhaust stuff went on. However Lingenfelter(however you spell it) c-vett has exhaust upgrades and he uses twin turbo.
#5. Can they be tuned down on a monents notice for regular street driving.
#6. Any plce in the Chicago land area that does this type of work.
#7 are they worth the money.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The November issue of "5.0 mustang & super fords" has a brief item on a 2001 turbo'd GT on page 57.

It doesn't say much but does give http://www.turbodrivenconcepts.com and 305.558.4745 for contact information.

Current: DenseCharger
Future: Aluminum DS, 4.10 gears, Dallas mustangs chip, a healthy diet

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: llama_boy on 2001-10-04 11:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
959 Posts
There has been a LOT of traffic on Stangnet about these guys. I looked into them a while back. They do not have many cars actually out there running the system.

As for being tuned specifically fot the Bullitt, that is true and a lie too. They have to custom burn a chip for each indivdual car anyway and you are best to have your car tuned on a dyno with a wide band O2 sensor so that it is done properly and specifically for your car.

Being a turbo guy from the past, I would prefer a turbo over a blower for numerous reasons. A turbo is not necessarily any easier on the engine than a blower. FOrced induction raises engine loads and charge air temperatures and has potential risks. Intercooling is a big must, to reduce charge air temps and ward off detonation. A properly sized turbo will have better charge outlet temps than a blower and will make full boost at a much lower rpm than a centrifugal blower, which makes boost rpm dependant.

The only thing that really turns me off of their kit is the turbo location, locating where the battery is. That's a lot of heat in that corner.

Jury is still out on this one, IMHO.

Brian

·
Registered
340 Posts
1) yes, very reliable
2) yes, but on a RX7 and runs great on that engine
3) yes, they do not use a belt like superchatger.
4) Not sure
5) yes you can control the power level, by changing how much boost you would like to use. Such as 4 for normal drive and for the track. The guage can be mounted anywhere in your car.
6) I do not know. But the place is located in Florida
7) They are more expensive than a supercharger and the horsepower will be about the same. But if you do you could say your one of the only bullitts to have one. :smile:

My 2cents, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
TDC will say anything to get your money. They are not trustworthy, are on report with the BBB, will tell you there's no problem retuning the kit for a full refund if it's not exactly what you want. The contense that is shipped is incompleat, packed badly and damaged (not to mention they send you a std FRAM oil filter). They also claim you recieve parts they never ship you! And try to take it out of your refund + 20% restocking fee.
As you can tell I don't feel too good about their buisness practices, and this is just what they did to my best friend. Since then I have learned of quite a few more complaints to the BBB for almost identical behaveour.
Yes a turbo is more efficient. Causes very minutly less wear the a supercharger. Turbos are not more or less safe the other forced induction, psi to psi you run very close risks.
Turbo's are alot more work, but can be well worth it.. Just DON'T get it from TDC!

·
Registered
119 Posts
trueblue3002,
Glad to see you made it. Welcome aboard.

TDC in a few words....liars, rip off, liars, zero customer service, liars, kits suck and so does the company.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Can’t help you with TDC. However, I’ve had two cars turbo charged by Bell Engineering Group Inc (BEGI) of San Antonio, Tx. Drove both for nearly 100K miles without any turbo related or associated problems. Driveability with the BEGI turbo system is fantastic and Corky (designer) is one of the most knowledgeable induction engineers I’ve dealt with; however, he is not a salesman. Basically, until about half throttle, the BEGI is a non-contributor. After half throttle, contribution is progressive – very cool indeed! Corky recommends a free-flow exhaust - less stress on the turbo as I recall. I spoke with him a couple of weeks ago and they are working on a 4.6 kit as I type this. He thought the production kit should be finalized in a few months. Based upon my past experience, I would expect the kit with installation and tuning to cost around $4.5K - less if you install and tune yourself. I’m waiting on BEGI and I will have one of their first units installed on the Bullitt. Check BEGI out at http://www.bellengineering.net/ and give Corky a call if you have any questions. He is a busy guy; however, he will call you back.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Tripleduck... I was wondering if Corkey was going to make a kit for the 4.6. I'll buy his instead of building my own if that's the case. I have met Corkey, neat guy. His book should be required reading for anyone contemplating forced induction. I ran a custom version of his IC on my Talon.

I'll have to contact him to see if he needs a donor car.

Brian

·
Registered
299 Posts
FordBullitt...Corky told me they are setting up a 4V(Cobra) in the shop right now. After they are finished, he intends on turning his attention to a 2V. He IS seeking a donor and I have tentatively agreed to let him use mine; however, we have not firmed up anything.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Tripleduck.. cool. I emailed them and volunteered my car too...before I read your last post. Sorry. I hope I don't step on your toes here.

Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
I swaped a 5.0 into a 84 svo some years back and installed a cartech single turbo with intercooler what a blast! I was installing superchargers in my friends mustangs then, but the turbo was the way to go for me, heat was the major problem, but the svo scoop helped in that case. Turbo my bullitt what an idea :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1BadBullitt on 2001-10-06 21:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
156 Posts
DHG1667-
I'll answer the Chicagoland question! There is a shop in Rockford called *Rockford Racecraft*, www.rockfordracecraft.com, They specialize in Syclones and Typhoons, turbo cars, but work on many other types of vehicles. I'll be sending the turbo off of my Syclone to them very shortly. They are well known in the turbo world doing first class work. Tim 'the tool man' Allen had his turbo Typhoon built by them, so I'm guessing they're all right with their work. Hope this helps. Where are you in Chicagoland, I'm in the western burbs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in the Orland Park area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey get a turbo prefabbed form a local speed shop they are much better!! also cobras wiht turbos' kick ass!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts