Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine bought a new 2019 BULLITT about two months ago. He called me a couple of days ago with some disappointing news...……..he's selling or trading the BULLITT.
He's disappointed with the high speed performance and the driveshaft "CLUNK" that I've had in my 2001, my 2008, my 2010 Shelby, and my current 2009.
I know from reading posts that a mere $800-$1000 will fix the issue with a one-piece driveshaft.
Other than cost???? why would FORD use the two piece driveshaft??

ARMY TC

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I will search the 08 section from WAY back when the same question was asked.

If I remember correctly (which is questionable these days), one of the reasons given was safety. In the case of a rear collision, the two piece will fold up in the middle while a one piece drive shaft will not.

·
Administrator
4,926 Posts
I will search the 08 section from WAY back when the same question was asked.

If I remember correctly (which is questionable these days), one of the reasons given was safety. In the case of a rear collision, the two piece will fold up in the middle while a one piece drive shaft will not.
If I recall, that was one of the reasons. There was also an issue with acceptable driveline resonances/NVH with a single long shaft.

Check the posts by "s197_guy" in this thread, starting at Post #48:
https://www.imboc.com/forums/156-08-09-discussion/168632-ford-oem-2-pc-alloy-driveshaft-4.html

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I read previous threads and now I understand the mechanics of the two piece driveshaft.

Unfortunately, my friend just doesn't care for the "CLUNK" and the 2019 BULLITT he owns will be possibly a Corvette in the future.

It is what it is...……..

ARMY TC

·
Registered
5 Posts
When Ford designs a car, they have to account for cost, safety, performance, NVH etc. The 2 piece shaft met all of those requirements. A 1 piece Aluminum shaft would not have met all those requirements. I replaced the factory 2 piece shaft with a Ford Racing Aluminum driveshaft on my 07 Shelby GT when I went to 4.10 gears. I am very happy with all aspects of it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I always have that feeling that something is broken when I shift gears...…….

It's a Mustang, not a super car...……...I know!

ARMY TC

·
Administrator
6,156 Posts
The manual driveline in the S550s has had a reputation for "clunk", which some attribute to the operating characteristics of the MT-82 transmission. Having had a '15 Mustang GT with the manual, I can tell you it's been reduced in frequency and loudness in the '19 Bullitt (I believe changes would have been put in place for model year '18 when the GT powertrain was updated). It's not enough to detract from my driving experience, but I understand it could be for others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts