Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am told that it is a no no to install a UDP on our 08/09 Bullitts. Some people all ready installed them, without having any problems.
I guess what I need is more input on , If I should or shouldn't do a UDP

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
why would udp's be a no-no on our engines as opposed to an 08/09 gt? same enine and pulley parts-right?
Our crank pulley is different, but other than that I don't know why UDPs would be a no-no.

I don't know that they will make much difference performance wise on the Bullitt.

·
Registered
969 Posts
hey rc,
i just did a search on imboc for "crank pulley" and i saw where chet made some measurements comparing the steeda crank pulley he installed and our 08 bullitt stock version. chet reported a slight difference in diameter between the two.

you mentioned above that our 08 bullitt crank pulley is different from a stock gt's crank pulley, and i was wondering if you knew what the difference between these two was? is it a diameter difference? or some other difference? guess we are digging deeper into an old topic here. :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I'm not positive what the difference is. It was stated by the Ford Engineers that it is a different design and what allows the higher red-line. It may be both diameter and weight.

·
Registered
969 Posts
well here is what i do know after driving an 08 bullitt with steeda udp pulleys installed. the steeda udp crank pulley is lighter in weight as well as diameter, and i could not feel anything different vibration wise in the engine with the steeda udp vs. stock pulley. both are very smooth.

it would be interesting to compare a stock 08 bullitt crank pulley to a stock gt crank pulley to see if there may be any difference in these two. i feel that if they were the same pulley, then that may just put an end to our seemingly unending speculation around this issue. perhaps part numbers would tell the tale?? anybody have access to the part numbers? :idea: :idea: :idea:

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a Roush UDP which was a one piece pulley / harmonic balancer. The dyno on my 07 Mustang GT was a 7 rwhp and 5 rwtq. We have about a 12 percent driveline loss, I feel that a UDP and an aluminum driveshaft can reduce that percentage.
Oh ya I forgot to say ,that the udp felt like the difference in have your air conditioner on or off.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:

it would be interesting to compare a stock 08 bullitt crank pulley to a stock gt crank pulley to see if there may be any difference in these two. i feel that if they were the same pulley, then that may just put an end to our seemingly unending speculation around this issue. perhaps part numbers would tell the tale?? anybody have access to the part numbers? :idea: :idea: :idea:
It would be interesting, but it isn't 'speculation'. It is a fact Ford stated it is a different pulley.

Perhaps someone will come up with a part number.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
jemit said:
For all you techies out there, I recommend TCP instead of UDP, more reliable transport. :)
UDP is actually faster in applications where guarenteed delivery is not required. Therefore it should be faster in the Bullitt. They are both in the "OSI" Transport layer and that possibly makes them DOT approved. I am quite funny for an old geek.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
sounds reasonable to me. where would one find this fact that was "stated" by ford? i ask because i have never come across this infomation before.
Well for one you can start here http://www.imboc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1870561&postcount=15

S197_guy is one of the project engineers.

You can also listen to some of the early interviews of the Team Mustang Engineers where it is stated.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.