Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all

Looking for some Under drive pulleys for the Bullitt. What kind?? And do I just order Pulleys for an 01 GT?? Are they the same as the ones for the Bullitt????

Thanks
TJ

·
Premium Member
18,434 Posts
Remember, the 01 came with underdrive pulleys. You can change them out, but your probably not getting a big benefit for the swap. At least not as much as if you had a standard GT and performed an underdrive pulley mod.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
Remember, the 01 came with underdrive pulleys. You can change them out, but your probably not getting a big benefit for the swap. At least not as much as if you had a standard GT and performed an underdrive pulley mod.
Dave, the '01 were not much different from the regular GT. I put Steeda UD's on and although the alternator pulley was the same size, the crank and water pump pullies were quite different. But that being said, the benefit was minimal.

·
Registered
618 Posts
9mmBullitt said:
Dave, the '01 were not much different from the regular GT. I put Steeda UD's on and althought the alternator pulley was the same size, the crank and water pump pullies were quite different. But that being said, the benefit was minimal.
Did you document before and after? I hear mixed reviews regarding true HP gains and the willingness of the engine to spin more freely.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
9mmBullitt said:
Dave, the '01 were not much different from the regular GT. I put Steeda UD's on and althought the alternator pulley was the same size, the crank and water pump pullies were quite different. But that being said, the benefit was minimal.
+1, real easy to do since the altenator pulley doesn't need to be changed. I don't believe there is much performance gain, but the life of the waterpump and alt will be extended if you drive in the upper RPM's from time to time. I like this idea specially when I run a few track days each year.

my .02
=-=-=-=-

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah I have read (Sean Hyland's book) that it will prevent high RPM cavitation.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FordFan said:
+1, real easy to do since the altenator pulley doesn't need to be changed. I don't believe there is much performance gain, but the life of the waterpump and alt will be extended if you drive in the upper RPM's from time to time. I like this idea specially when I run a few track days each year.

my .02
=-=-=-=-
Quick question...

I just got my Steeda under drive pulley set in. I went to instal it but when I put the alternator pulley on it did not fit properly. The sleeve that runs on the bearing was too short on the Steeda pulley and the pulley jammed on the case. So are you guys saying that it is NOT necessary to change the pulley on the Alternator?? I noticed that the Steeda one is slightly smaller.

Also; what effect would the pulley have if I ever installed a Super Charger??

Thanks
TJ

Thanks
Trent

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
for the alternator a bigger pulley gives more performance
water pump bigger and crank smaller

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Yeah I just left my alt pully on and changed the others. Reason being that the difference in size was slight and I did not have the time to take it off so just left it on and had no problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
steeda FTW

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Does anyone know what the stock GT diameters are on the 3 pullies and what they are on the Bullitt?

I am mostly curious how much difference there is between the crank pullies? If the Bullitt crank is much bigger than the aftermarket ones, there should be some benefit from reducing that diameter.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I put the March underdrive crank and waterpump pulleys on my Bullitt. I didn't notice a huge gain in them, but did notice the car revved up quicker.

I got a steal on the set so I couldn't pass it up...

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
It's worth a couple of HP. I noticed with the Steeda's that the engine seemed to rev up a bit quicker. With the little 2V engine,every little HP gain helps!
My problem,after the swap, was getting a belt that wouldn't slip(squeak), during high RPM gear changes. I went with the Goodyear Gator belt. My Steeda setup has been on there for 6 1/2 years.

·
Car Whisperer
21,654 Posts
got a used Steeda set i bought off a bullitthead and never installed of anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
TRUEBLUE3934 said:
Does anyone know what the stock GT diameters are on the 3 pullies and what they are on the Bullitt?

I am mostly curious how much difference there is between the crank pullies? If the Bullitt crank is much bigger than the aftermarket ones, there should be some benefit from reducing that diameter.
I just opened my Steeda UDP for Xmas. I measured the Steeda set and the Bullitt set for comparison. Apparently, the factory set of UDP are VERY conservative. The Steeda set will reduce alternator speed to 79% of stock and reduce water pump speed to 68% of stock. The alternator pulleys are the same fundamental size but the crank is ~25% smaller and water pump ~16% bigger (from memory).

I look forward to installing these now that I know the difference is fairly significant. Don't over look this mod because the factory UDP don't look to be under driven by much (I don't have a set of GT pulleys for comparison). If anyone can measure the diameter of a set of GT pulleys, I'd love to know how much difference there is between GTs and Bullitts.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Frankenstang said:
got a used Steeda set i bought off a bullitthead and never installed of anyone is interested.
Do you still have these?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.