Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's Arizona Republic newspaper has a story of an ASU female coed, the fatal victum of a hit and run accident, involving a new Bullitt with temporary new plates. It seems the coed, first day in Arizona after parents left her for school, was crossing the street and got hit and dragged for about a 100 feet. The driver took off and police found the car later on. Not clear whether the owner of the car was driving or not, but certainly not the type of behavoir bullitt owners want to be associated with. Our cars are unique, fun and irresistable to letting it rip. I, for one have noticed an entirely different driving style for me since I got my Bullit , but don't forget you're responsible for your actions. I post this not to sound like someone's old man, (which I am), but to remind us that the driving the edge may have it's consequences. Be safe.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Agreed. And its true with any car, but moreso with those that are "performance" oriented. Cars are dangerous as "toys", one should never treat them as such.

Very sad story from many angles. :sad:

B-man

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt on 2001-08-19 20:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
835 Posts
Whoever the driver was, may he/she be banished from our ranks for this irresponsible deed. Hit and run. Let's hope it wasn't DUI as well.

As a father of 3 daughters, I also send condolences to the Woodin family.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Man, that poor kid. Stuff like this really gets under my skin, I hope they catch the guy or gal who did it soon. If anyone catches a follow up story please let us know...time to go say a prayer for that poor girl.

Bullitt 457
50 Merc
32 Ford

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: merc50 on 2001-08-19 23:47 ]</font>

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
That is horrible!!! I sent a letter to the reporter and offered our condolences and asked her to pass them on to the family as well. These cars were made to be driven, but not like that on the streets.
Cam

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had to see this story for myself to believe it and sure enough or should I say sadly enough it is true. Below is the web address of the story from the Arizina Republic Newspaper...
http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/articles/0819freshman19.html

Back around 1990 just after I bought one of my Corvettes, 2 Corvettes one of the exact same color as mine were drag racing and killed a teenager not too far from my place of work, I was afraid to take my Vette out until the culprits were caught which didn't take too long thankfully. Anyway
I was sad to hear this most recent news and I think from this article it looks like she lived not too far from me in New Jersey. I'll have to check the local papers here if they mention it. I hope they catch the person responsible. The best we could hope for is if the car was stolen, at least that would take a little heat off Bullitt owners.

Frank Black Bullitt # 2627
Montvale, New Jersey
http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/articles/0819freshman19.html

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
accoring to WNBC in New York the Bullitt had been reported stolen. So it may not have been a Bullitthead at the wheel.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
my heart and prayers go out to the family too! i hope they catch the perp.
sometimes i get angry enough to wish similar pain upon the person who did this! but i have to remember that I am not the one in charge...it's the Big Guy upstairs!

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Not that it has any bearing on the tragedy, but is this a Bullitt?

The pic is small, but the headlight looks too light, but it does appear to be DHG or Black.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt on 2001-08-20 12:52 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Good point.

:sad:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Anybody catch the point in the followup article that the driver was a graduate of Harvard Law School. They must not be teaching their students the difference between accidents and felony hit and run these days. He ought to be real popular in the jailhouse, but given the fact he is a LAWYER :razz: he'll probably never see the iron bars close behind him.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did anybody notice the point that she was crossing against a red light at 2 am?

If they can assume a speed for the car, can I also assume she was running to catch up with her friend that crossed right in front of her?

Put yourself in the driver's seat. This could happen to you.

But if it does, don't drive away...

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
He graduated from Harvard law, and this is how he acts? I bet he was drinking. Sad. Just plain sad.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It definitely was a Black Bullitt though or so I've heard on the reports.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I live in Tempe and have seen the pictures. It was definitely a black Bullitt. They are astimating the speed as 55 which is at least 15 over the speed limit. I guess that we can assume that he was drinking, what else are people doing at 2 am. The girl had probably been drinking too. It was a tragic accident and none of us know how we would react in the same situation. I think we can all say though that we'd like to believe we'd have stayed around for the police. That would have been the right thing, but you never know. As far as rendering aid, I don't think that will ever hold up, he hit her at 55 and threw her 250 ft...
Her father has been terribly understanding and I hope we can all be as thoughful.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
nice comments rsom. it is a very difficult situation from every perspective!

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
I handled an accident of hit and run a few years ago about 2:35AM where a pedestrian was crossing a 4 lane street (not at an intersection). The driver left the scene and came back a few minutes later with his father (the driver was in his late 30's) to "confess". I could smell the alchohol on him and FLUNKED EVERY test I gave him. He said he was soo upset that he drank when he got home (some whiskey I think). Tested over .210 and because he left the scene befoer I tested him the DUI was dropped down to reckless operation. Comes to find out the "victim" was also legally drunk at the time of the accident. I'm not saying this to make the driver innocent, but was the victims judgement impared at the time of the accident also? Doesn't let him of for leaving the scene of the accident.
Cam

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks to you Cam for the law enforcement perspective!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't see this as a blemish of our car or a bad rap because its a performance car. The Guy was doing 55 in a 35, Sh*t we all do that, exspecially at 2am. What this is an act of one person hitting somebody crossing on a red light. And the unacceptable act of leaving the scene. The accident itself doesn't sound like it was a blanten act of neglegence, however leaving the scene puts the whole event in the light of an "person driving/racing too fast in a performance car and hitting a person". BUT!!! Since he left the scene of the accident (being trained as a lawyer at one of the countries most promenant legal schools) tells me he was probably intoxicated and fled.

I have small children and I live in the back of a very safe subdivision on a culdesac. Even there I guard my children and keep them away from the street. I couldn't image the pain of loosing a daughter this way. My heart goes out to the family and hope that the proper justice is served.

Its the person not the car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts