Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following are photos of the S197 Bullitt exhaust. When the car was in Cincinnati, we looked for any discernable differences in the H-pipe as compared to the standard GT, but nothing stood out immediately.

It's possible that some of the bends are smoother, but I cannot confirm that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts

·
Administrator
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RCSignals said:
could the difference be the size of the H pipe?
the standard GT has 2 1/2" piping or 2 1/4" ?
The 2005+ Mustang GTs have 2.5" pipes.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
maybe someone can point out just what was 'modified' for the H pipe then.
It has to be diameter, length or position.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
RCSignals said:
mufflers as well, but Ford does say the H pipe is different too
Not quite, check out this. That is all that I can find on the exhaust. I remember seeing a photo of a sticker. It said the same thing, but I am unable to find it at the moment. I even checked out some other sites. But no joy. And there's nothing in my recollection of any other mod to the exhaust.:shock: But, I have been wrong before. I was thinking I saw something about Arvin making this exhaust, but then the photos clearly show Ford stamped into the mufflers...

link:http://imboc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7495&d=1194409157

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
If you view the video review by Popular Mechanics you will hear them say that they went to Arvin to have the exhaust sound matched to the '68.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Whammer said:
If you view the video review by Popular Mechanics you will hear them say that they went to Arvin to have the exhaust sound matched to the '68.
That's it! Good memory. I may have read that in the magazine as well... :wink:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
Not quite, check out this. That is all that I can find on the exhaust. I remember seeing a photo of a sticker. It said the same thing, but I am unable to find it at the moment. I even checked out some other sites. But no joy. And there's nothing in my recollection of any other mod to the exhaust.:shock: But, I have been wrong before. I was thinking I saw something about Arvin making this exhaust, but then the photos clearly show Ford stamped into the mufflers...

link:http://imboc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7495&d=1194409157
Arvin makes the exhaust for Ford applying the ford oval. Arvin is an official Ford supplier.
At one time Ford was it's own largest supplier of parts, no more.

In one of the video interviews the lead Engineer states the Mufflers were specifically designed by Arvin for the desired tone, as well as the tips.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
So then the exhaust is the same specifications as to tube size and shapes and lengths, but the tips and mufflers are different. And thus emitting a "390" at speed note/rumble?:smile:

·
Car Whisperer
20,787 Posts
I would doubt that ford would do anymore than the tips and mufflers to the system based on the economics. Looks like standard fare to me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bullitt Exhaust Info

The system is retuned (within the existing package) from front to back. Aside from the tips, there is no way to tell what has changed beyond looking at part numbers. The h-pipe is modified internally as are the mufflers (completely different design on the inside). The exhaust tips were designed to work with the rest of the exhaust changes and were critical to delivering this sound (though the basic sound comes from the h-pipe and muffler redesign). Emcon is our exhaust supplier (recently spun off from ArvinMeritor). I provided them the target sound I was looking for and we worked together to come up with the engineering changes to deliver the sound. Lots of computer modeling coupled with in vehicle fine tuning. I will take exclusive credit for the tips, though! To go along with the signature sound, I made it as loud as legally possible, too. I spent a great deal of time on this exhaust system. Sounds like most of you like it. If you compare the layout of the S197 exhaust system to that of either the SN95 or even the '68, you'll see that it is substantially different. Getting the S197 Bullitt to sound the way it does forced us to sharpen our pencils and put on our thinking caps. It was sort of like trying to make a clarinet sound like a tuba (maybe not the best analogy). Hope this info helps.

FYI - Bullitt muffler code (stamped on can) is F1-8087
GT with automatic trans is F1-7991
GT with manual trans is F1-7849

·
Administrator
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
s197_guy -

I was hoping you would fill in the details - thank you!

As a clarification, what was modified inside the H-pipe as compared to the standard GT? Also, if someone were to simply put the Bullitt mufflers on their GT, what would happen to the sound?

·
Registered
419 Posts
s197_Guy,

Great insight, thanks for taking the guess work out of it for us.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts