Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car goes in tomorrow for all the stereo mods. I just can't justify changing an in-dash 6 cd changer for something else. Even with an Alpine in dash changer I think the best you can do is 3 cd changer. I could be wrong. So anyway, I figured it like this. I don't want to change out the stock deck but I can certainly improve upon the speaker setup. Tomorrow I add 2 12" Boston Acoustics Pros and a Precision Power 1200 watt amp with Q-bass control. The box is going to be custom built in my car as part of it. The speakers will be mounted firing into the rear seat with a gloss black finish on the front and the back will be carpeted to match the trunk. I will get pics up as soon as its done. I just purchased a digital camera so no problem there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sweet. I was thinking of doing something similar. I am gonna pull the changer. I feel bad doing it, but my eclipse deck has a dedicated subwoofer output and adjustment. (my wife isn't big on bass). They make a 6disc add on changer that would fit in the dash as well, but it's too much money.

So, are you using a line out convertor, or
are there pre-outs built in? Can't wait to see pics. Can you get box dimensions? I want to build one =)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I added my old SAS 8 inch self powered Subs( 80 Watts) and tapped them into the speaker wire in the rear deck. The bass output is much improved and everything still looks stock.

If I need extra room in the trunk, its a snap to undo one of the speakers and store it on the rear floorboard.

I may upgrade the front speakers with some better componets, but overall I am very pleased with the stock system.

·
Registered
224 Posts
www.sub-box.net has a box that will hold 2 12's and fit up against the back seats. Looks ok except the subs fire upwards. I guess that probably doesn't matter, but I've never done it myself.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I should be able to get the dimensions but they are gonna be complicated due to the fact that the box is built around all the curves in the part of the trunk closest to the back seat. BUT my installer gave me a good suggestion today. Going with the black and silver theme that runs throughout my car he suggested that the front of the box be painted gloss silver to match the rest of the aluminum. I thought it was a good idea since the subs are solid black anyway. It should give a nice contrast. As far as ready made boxes. They are nice, and they serve the purpose. But I guess I am kinda stuck up when it comes to a custom look. Plus, this box will help a little in the security dept. It will be built into the car. The only way to get the stuff out is to remove all the gear from the box and break the box, whereas with a prefab box it can just be lifted out of the car easily. They have to be made that way so the customer can self install.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oh, I totally agree. I'd go custom if I could afford it =) The only other reason I'd like the prefab is so I can take it out easily if I want to take the car on a trip and need the space. Other than that, I'd love a pair of 10's flush mounted to the rear seats. I saw some sweet mustang installs on sounddomain that gave me some ideas.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I was going to drop my old 10" Bazooka tube in too. I think that will fill out the bass just nicely. The system has great clarity so I think just adding a little more bottm will finish it out nicely. This way, when I go racing, I can unplug it and leave it at home.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Maybe I'll just pull out the spare and the fake floor and put 4 15's in it. Ok ok maybe not...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here they are. Got the pics up of my amp install. This guy is good. He went to an old salvage yard for 2 good reasons. 1. He wanted to deconstruct the trunk of a new model to see just how he could make it fit. and 2. He took ALL the trunk carpeting he could out of the trunk of the car so it would be an EXACT match. This box looks FACTORY!! I couldn't be happier! The front was originally supposed to be gloss black but he suggested that I go with a silver to match the black and silver theme in the car already. Anyway, enjoy. Maybe this will inspire others to make some stereo mods. I GUARANTEE that bottom end is the ONLY thing the Mach 460 needs. Once you take the stress of the bass off the regular Mach speakers the entire thing sounds a LOT more crisp! And the installation is very stealthy.
One sub with the one side of the seat down.

Both subs with both sides of the seat down.

Q-Bass control mounted in the glove box.

Amp rack in the trunk.

Maybe it will work better now!?!?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-11-01 12:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
224 Posts
That is pretty sweet. I love the matching carpet...nice touch. I wonder if I could order the carpet from a dealer, no junk yards near me that I know of. I'd probably just do the front in carpet too, I dont think I have the skills to do the aluminum. Looks nice though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The aluminum look isn't actually aluminum. This is a wooden cover plate for the box painted a wet silver color. Just as a side note though I am looking for someplace I could buy a flat piece of brushed aluminum big enough to cut holes in and mount over all that just to have the PERFECT match. Or maybe I will buy a set of door sill plates or the lettering and attach that somehow. Anyone have suggestions on where I may find the piece of aluminum? I will post a pic to compare the painted panel to the aluminum one, or the pics of the lettering, if I get either one done.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lok N Lod on 2001-06-27 23:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wow! that looks great! Nice job. I bet that setup sounds real good!

Paul G.

·
Registered
51 Posts
LOK N LOD you have inspired me. I have always been an audiophile myself, but also wanted to maintain the integrity of my car. Your installer did a fantastic job, and I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to use a few of your ideas.

I'm dropping my car of tomorrow and we are going to do 1 Image Dynamic IDQ 12 in the rear powered by a MTX 4250 class D amp. This amp also has the electronic bass control (EBC) which will be mounted up front. The MTX is half black, half chrome and will really match my car.

A couple of your ideas that we are using. 1) I went to a junk yard and pulled the carpet out also to have an exact match. 2) They are building the box in the car like yours to make it look factory.

Mine will be a little different and we are taking the box to a little greater extreme. The sub will be on one side and the amp mounted on the other with both of them facing out the back of the trunk. Both the amp and the sub are going to be set back in the box (kinda like a shadow box picture) and the inside of the set back area is going to be finished in brushed aluminum, keeping theme with the rest of the car. It's kinda hard to describe, but I will get some pics up also when I get it done.

Also my car will be out at Texas Heat Wave in Austin this coming weekend under the Xtreme Sounds booth if anyone wants to come check it out, along with many other awesome cars they have done. Xtreme Sounds of course is doing the work on my car also.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am glad my installation inspired someone. I don't expect a LOT of bass to be for everyone but expanding on my idea is always welcome and at least a little flattering. I wanted the brushed aluminum plate but my installer didn't have the means. So I opted for a silver painted wooden face plate. Also, after I thought about it I was worried that the adhesive they would use to secure the aluminum to the box might not stand up to the vibration and I would end up with a metallic punch when the subs were pushed hard. As for the shadow box idea. Well that is kinda the way my amp and full farad cap are. They are set into a recess built into the back of the box and above them I have a blue neon light that comes on when the rear decklid is opened instead of the stock little lighbulb. And finally, I thought about pointing my subs into the rear. It definately would have been easier for my installer. BUT....then I thought the only way to stop the vibration of the rear decklid is to put dynamat on it. Well if you look at the rear decklid on the inside you notice that it isn't carpeted factory and there is no place to hide the dynamat. And any car audiophile knows dynamat isn't the most attractive stuff, although I have heard they just released colored dynamat not too long ago. With the subs pointed into my car and the back seats up I get a little vibration, but not much. And with the seats down.....well I can push it as HARD as I want and there isn't a noise anywhere on the outside of the car. Just bass....AND LOTS OF IT!!!!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Excellent install lok-n-lod. I used to compete in IASCA and was wondering if I should try to do an install in my Bullitt. Having seen yours I may take a similar approach and add MB Quarts for the front stage. Problem is I don't want to add much more weight to the car and I definitely want to keep the 460 head unit. What to do, what to do.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Actually Lok I was looking at your install and had a idea. What if you went with the Gloss black instead of the silver paint (or carpet the front as well) but had some aluminum surrounds made to go around your subs.. Much like the trim ring around our shifters but in brushed aluminum instead?
Just an idea.. :smile:

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-07-16 13:56 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-07-16 13:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I had thought about several combinations. I was actually thinking about painting the cover plate gloss black and adding one of the BULLITT trunk badges in on the box. Those badges seem to be readily available to any punk in a Rio Red V6 easily so I shouldn't have a problem with that. But thanks for the suggestion Blakwing. Another EXCELLENT idea.

OH....and while I have your attention. We should schedule another cruise and try to get chicago burb guys there.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I'm all for it. I'm free this Friday night and most likely this Saturday as well. We need to try to set something else up and see how many Chicagoland Bullitts we can get together in one place. :smile:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good to me. I will let everyone else work out specifics as I have the easiest schedule to work around. I suggest that a post is put together in Bullithead Chat. Not many seem to pay much attention to regional info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
hey Lok N Lod, what did you have the box made out of? about how much weight do you think it added to ther car?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts