Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if it would be possible to upgrade from my crappy stock stereo to either the Mach 460 or even the 1000?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I looked into this with my dealer, but the cost of the Mach 1000 far outweighed what I wanted it for. I was told $1600 Canadian. For that price I could build something better.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Please don't upgrade from the cheap stock system to any of the Mach Ford systems. The one blessing of not having the Mach 460 is that you didn't waste your money on it.

The Mach 460 is an increadible piece of junk. The cheap stock system should be regarded as the 'factory delete' option and gives you free reign to put something in your car that is actually of decent quality. Many Bullitt owners don't listen to their Mach 460's. We all say that the motor is sweet music. Well, the motor is sweet music, but, if any of us had a truly sweet stereo, we'd likely listen to it a whole heck of a lot more.

I'm seriously thinking about ditching the Mach 460 as MANY Mustang owners are. You could probably come up with a swap out from a current owner pretty easily.

But, maybe you ought to consider something nice. It'll cost about the same and you'll have something you can truly enjoy.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
255 Posts
My bullitt did not come with the mach 460 and i wish it had. This standard system is ultra lame and i test drove a 2k1 gt that had a mach 460 and that thing was amazing. I dont know what you guys are whining about saying that it is junk, because it sounds great. It needs a little more bass but nothing another woofer wouldnt solve. I can only imagine what the mach 1000 sounds like.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Me neither. I have the 460 and think it's great.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the replies people. I appreciate it. I honestly am trying to keep everything Ford with my Bullitt. Even though I have after-market stuff, I keep all originals. I dont want to have to make any new wholes in the car. I really want the mach 1000. My dealer keeps avoiding me. I think it is going to be really expensive. The stock stereo is so damn crappy!!! Sounds like a boombox in my backseat @ full treble!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I was thinking about just swapping for the Mach 1000 and whenever I end up selling the car late in life, when I'm about 90 and can't shift anymore, I'd consider replacing the Mach 9500XT for the original Mach 460. Then sell it for about a million. I'll end up spending abou that much trying to find such a relic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I thought the Mach 460 system was standard equipment in the Bullitt?
Either way, my Mach 460 system doesn’t sound as good as my wifes stereo in her Eddie Bauer Explorer, but it sounds ok to me.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I have two Bullitts both with the mach 460, one doesn't sound that bad and one sounds horible! A reputable stereo shop can do so much better for the money, please go and check one out. The ok sounding one only sounds as good as my wifes 2002 Explorers stock stereo. For 600 bucks I could set some one up so much better. I would sell my 460 in a heartbeat if I could (the whole thing amps, enclosure, radio, speakers) for what I paid for it plus shipping.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the 460 off someone on e-bay who took it out of there new cobra. I have all the speakers and amps and even the head unit but the main problem is the wire harness. The dealer is wants over 1K for the harness.

·
Registered
255 Posts
say what???? 1k for a harness? Puhleeze.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where can I get the harness?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too have the Mach 460 system. When I listen to it, it sounds good but I would like to add more solid bass to the unit while keeping the factory head unit. Has anyone done this to their system? I hate to walk into a car stereo store and their ideas make the system worse or unusable. Thanks,

-Marc
Black Bullitt #4154

·
Registered
243 Posts
J, are you sure about that harness? When most of these cars come down the assembly line, they are all wired one way and later down the line they get the specific radio for that order. I'm just saying do some research, most of that stuff may just plug in.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have taken all the stuff to get it installed and everywhere I have gone have told me that I am missing the wire harness. I went to about 9 places. The dealer told me the same thing. I dont know much about so I dont know.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My main complaint about the Mach 460 is that it's a little too mid rangy at times. In general it's pretty damn good for a stock system. That being said, I can't help but notice that the Mach460 in my 95 GT (no CD, just cassette--yes, it's that old) sounds much better than in my bullitt. oh well, i suppose i'll have to suffer thru with my 6 CDs in the dash. In my experience that has been the biggest "woaw" factor about this car. As in I say it has a CD changer, they say "Big deal," i say "In the dash," they say "woaw." But then I start the car and I get to hear it again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Visteon, one of the companies that make the Mach460 radio sells a unit as a aftermarket for ford vehicles. Crutchfield use to have them, they still might. I never fully looked into it but sounds like it has its own internal amp which means you don't need any extra wiring harness. It looks exactly the same except says Visteon on it. Radios & More sells it as well as someone earlier posted. Try crutchfield first because they usually give you the wiring harness conections for your present harness. The reason you need a different wiring harness is because of the amps. Try a late model junk yard (ex. http://www.stangparts.com/) it would problably be cheaper.

http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=1R3F-18C815-BCs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts