Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Bullittheads, does anyone know what's considered the best of the factory Ford upper strut mounts? I'll be wanting to do new struts/dampers (Koni yellow) and new springs (Vogtland leveling) soon, and have read that it's best to replace the strut mounts with new at that time... I've only got about 1200 miles on my car now, so not sure if I really need those new mounts, but I'm thinking that maybe I should do 'em, based on what I've read. I want as little noise/harshness as possible, so plan on using camber bolts instead of plates.

Anyway, are the "SVT" type mounts really any better than those used as stock on our cars? Should I just go with the latest, most improved regular mount ('08-'09)?

Thanks for your input..!

:dhg08:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The Shelby GT500 is the best the factory has to offer as an upgrade. Yes they are different but I elected to go with the Steeda uppers intergraded into the CC plates for adjustablitiy // Maximum motorsports now also has a version..

No issues with noise or harshness with the Steeda's, the alignment shop really liked the ease of adjustment from the camber plates. The MM's weren't available at the time, but I would take a long look at them this time around.. Just to point out on the S197 chassis the plates install under the shock tower so they are not visible from the engine compartment.

=-=-=-=-=-=-

·
Registered
969 Posts
hey oldlugs,

i have the steeda upper strut mounts also. they absolutely rock! and they better for 3-bills. zero noise. nadda. they come preassembled and are very easy to install if you plan on doing it yourself. i figured i would go ahaead and get them because they will probably last as long as the car. they are top notch in quality. i figured if i was going to install the koni's and the vogtlands, i would be short cutting myself if i didn't get these too. you will not regret it if you decide to get them. it's basically a one and done-right mod.

you will probably have to go to a specialty alignment shop as most places (around here anyway) are scared to touch anything like this. funny thing though is that they are so simple to adjust for camber. ironic, to say the least.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the MM plates and they are very nice. But you don't see much of them.

Showa

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm concerned about NHV, which is why I was thinking of going with factory Ford mounts...
Has anyone noticed that after-market CC mount plates increase NHV, or are they about the same as stock..? Mine is a car that will see longer road trips with the wife and maybe a kid or two..
I don't want the wife grumbling that the ride makes her boobs hurt..:tongue:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that the GT500 mount may be similar to ours, but have a stiffer rubber compound. Supposedly, our cars use the second revision of factory S197 coupe mounts. These were revised to eliminate the early mounts "pop" and "chuckle" (as I've read it being called).

Anyway, I've ordered a pair of the SVT Ford Racing (GT500) mounts from an eBay vendor. $65 shipped. When I gather up everything I need and pull apart my suspension, I'll compare the GT500 to the Bullitt mounts.

Thanks to all for the replies!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
oldlugs said:
I think that the GT500 mount may be similar to ours, but have a stiffer rubber compound. Supposedly, our cars use the second revision of factory S197 coupe mounts. These were revised to eliminate the early mounts "pop" and "chuckle" (as I've read it being called).

Anyway, I've ordered a pair of the SVT Ford Racing (GT500) mounts from an eBay vendor. $65 shipped. When I gather up everything I need and pull apart my suspension, I'll compare the GT500 to the Bullitt mounts.

Cool, and don't forget some pic's for us poor folk. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
oldlugs said:

Hey there oldlugs, I'm fixin to do my springs and struts, shocks
and was wondering if you found out anything with the strut mounts?
I have the Eibach ProKit and Koni's on the way and want to make sure
my stock mounts are up to par?
Thanks
Gene

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I found out is that this: http://outofmymind.info/pr2.htm is an interesting read. It seems that when using the factory type mounts (cheaper, and hopefully quieter), where the top coil is pointing may affect mount longevity. I actually went with the "GT500 green-stud" mounts, and a set of Vogtland springs... Time will tell how long they last when used together. My thinking says that since the GT500 is heavier, Ford should have made it heavier duty. The GT500 mount uses stiffer rubber than our stock "gold-stud" mounts, and hopefully a durable bearing assembly. My stock mounts looked fine when removed, but since I had the new GT500 mounts on hand, I put those in.
I've got lots of negative camber right now, but will be putting in some cam bolts when they get here; that should fix me up (ordered 4).
IF I wasn't concerned about noise, harshness, vibration, I definitely would go with camber plates, like the MM pictured above. I just wanted to keep some rubber between spring and body like the factory mount uses, and factory mounts are a bunch cheaper.

·
Registered
262 Posts
All right, I guess I'm gonna start off with the stock mounts and pay close
attention to where the old springs sat and the new springs sit.
How much did your frt drop and how much camber did you end up with?
Thanks
Gene

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Genius said:
...How much did your frt drop and how much camber did you end up with?...
Too much. I'm really not happy with the amount of drop I ended up with... Supposedly, the springs I got are the Vogtland GT500 springs, but I think what I received are the regular Vogtland GT springs (even though the box is labeled with the GT500 part#). Could be the flakey eBay seller I bought from to save some $, had re-labeled the Vogtland box. I measure about 1-1/2" drop front and rear. What I wanted was to level out, and drop only about 1" in front. I may live with it for a while, then switch out to different springs. Easy enough job on our cars. I don't have a camber gauge yet, so don't know what the -camber is... It's certainly visible though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
oldlugs said:
Too much. I'm really not happy with the amount of drop I ended up with... Supposedly, the springs I got are the Vogtland GT500 springs, but I think what I received are the regular Vogtland GT springs (even though the box is labeled with the GT500 part#). Could be the flakey eBay seller I bought from to save some $, had re-labeled the Vogtland box. I measure about 1-1/2" drop front and rear. What I wanted was to level out, and drop only about 1" in front. I may live with it for a while, then switch out to different springs. Easy enough job on our cars. I don't have a camber gauge yet, so don't know what the -camber is... It's certainly visible though.

This is the majority reason I only sell on ebay and not buy. Too many crooks in the world. I have had on more than one occasion seen where the item pictured was not the item being sold.

Buyer beware on Fleabay.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've changed out more springs than I care to remember, mostly Jeeps.
I think most will agree the listed drop or lift will very......
Needless to say I'm also very concerned what the Eibach ProKit is
gonna do to my Bullitt. I know what I want, just not sure if I'll get it.
Stay tuned for pic's later this week ;)
Gene

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.