Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of switching over to synthetic because people say you can extend your oil change intervals out to 8k +. What do you think? How often do you change yours (answer only if you use synthetic)?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I think this has been discussed before. I believe the recommended intervals are 6,000 miles or 6 months. They used to advertise unlimited miles and 1 year inteverals (about 20 years ago). I just switched to Mobil 1 5w-30 last week and since I store my Bullitt in the winter and probably will only put about 6,000 miles a year on it, I only plan to change it once a year. I might change it one more time before I store it. I'm undecided but generally I think it'd be a waste of money. By the way, I think synthetic oil is far superior to regular motor oil.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: barry bullitt on 2002-02-20 17:13 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I change my oil every 3000 miles with Valvoline 5/20

·
Registered
27 Posts
I run Mobil 10w30 in my 440 Duster. Since the car only sees 2500miles per season I change it once a year. The only thing I found with synthetic is that if you have an oil leak anywhere, not very likely on the new Bullitts, that it will leak at a greater rate than conventional Dinosaur based oils. Then again maybe i'm just imagining it too. This probably didn't help you much since your looking to increase your oil change intervals. :smile:

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
835 Posts
I switched to Mobil 1 5W30 at 886 miles. The 2nd oil change was at 5003. The oil was neaarly as clean as when it went into the engine. I plan to go the full 5000 mile interval this time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I also did 5W-30 on mine today, it was her second oil change but first for synthetic. That oil is as thin as milk! But it's got what it takes. I was surprised how clean an oil change is on this engine, you turn that knob in the oil pan and it won't leak until the knob is displaced totally, the filter was as messy as my 92 Crown Vic.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
You're right about it leaking. My understanding is it's much thinner than regular oil and if you got a leak it's gonna leak more. Also they used to advertise you get an extra 5 HP with synthetic oil 'cause less friction.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got off the phone w/ Dave @ Redline oils. He suggested that I go w/ Redline 5-30 and that I can stretch the oil change intervals to 10,000 - 12,000 miles in Los Angeles driving conditions. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
They used to advertise change it once a year. It's basically indestructible. I like it best for it's superior engine protection. It seems important with these engines especially when they're cold.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use Mobile 1, 0/30. It really lets that oil flow to the top part of the motor when it's cold out. I was told by "oil-people" that you should change it when it starts to look dirty. That is usally about 3000 to 5000 miles. I understnd you can leave it in for well over that, and it is still good, but that really goes against my better judgement.
I guess we could beat this topic to death for hours. I'm stopping right here.
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts