Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mechanic buddy of mine told me to get into the habit of using the E- brake. He says using it automaticaly adjusts the rear wheel brakes. Says a few times a week will keep them in good adjustment. Does this sound right to all of you?

· Registered
85 Posts
Sounds reasonable, usually rear disc brakes have a piston that ratchets out as the pads wear. I can't see any reason why the ebrake couldn't be used to provide the ratcheting action. Kind of a slick design actually.

Also explains why the rear brakes rub after the car has set a few days with the ebrake on.

· Registered
360 Posts
yeah, one time I forgot to put my e-brake on and left it in neutral and my car rolled out of the garage all by itself, down the driveway and into the neighbor's yard :sad: No harm done to the car or anything else but I wouldn't want a repeat of that. This was when I'd had my car for 5 days. I always put the car in gear and e-brake on when I park it now. (Please, no female driver comments. I was so embarassed when I did it I never mentioned it.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullittgirl on 2001-09-18 22:16 ]</font>

· Registered
937 Posts
Sorry.... I know this is off the subject but...

PLEASE HELP...

I have been trying to load really cool pics pf DHG3055 and a UH-60 Blackhawk in the background. I tried practicing in the Area 51. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. After I load it, all I get for the results is the "back" button.

Can anyone help...???

· Registered
354 Posts
I've been told that the e-brake is actually a small drum brake mechanism, and not part of the rear disk brake mechanism.

This makes sense, as my other car with rear disks has a separate caliper for the parking brake.

Assuming that I'm right about the small drum brake, then setting the e-brake will not adjust the rear calipers.

Regardless, I never use the e-brake, except once in a rare while when I want to leave the car running and exit the vehicle. Other than that I leave it (park it) in first. There's no need to apply un-needed effort (drum or not) to the rear disk assembly over an extended time. If the disk is really hot, then warping can be an issue.

Have Fun,
Randy R...

· Registered
302 Posts
a mechanic friend of mine says that if i put a coffee can on the back of the my car it will go faster. actually i agree about there being a little drum brake assembly inside the rear rotors. thats the way my toyota was and i can't believe ford reinvented the wheel. when i first parked my car in the drive in first no parking brake it rolled just a little i think it won't happen now that the car is broken in a little but i use the parking brake. also you might consider using the parking brake without first gear especially in parking lots where the car might get nudged it might save the trans. a little off the subject but i read somewhere where drum brakes are cheaper to make and install then drums. i don't see how but.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.