Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mechanic buddy of mine told me to get into the habit of using the E- brake. He says using it automaticaly adjusts the rear wheel brakes. Says a few times a week will keep them in good adjustment. Does this sound right to all of you?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds reasonable, usually rear disc brakes have a piston that ratchets out as the pads wear. I can't see any reason why the ebrake couldn't be used to provide the ratcheting action. Kind of a slick design actually.

Also explains why the rear brakes rub after the car has set a few days with the ebrake on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's a stick you should always use the e-brake, think about it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-09-18 22:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
360 Posts
yeah, one time I forgot to put my e-brake on and left it in neutral and my car rolled out of the garage all by itself, down the driveway and into the neighbor's yard :sad: No harm done to the car or anything else but I wouldn't want a repeat of that. This was when I'd had my car for 5 days. I always put the car in gear and e-brake on when I park it now. (Please, no female driver comments. I was so embarassed when I did it I never mentioned it.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullittgirl on 2001-09-18 22:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
937 Posts
Sorry.... I know this is off the subject but...

PLEASE HELP...

I have been trying to load really cool pics pf DHG3055 and a UH-60 Blackhawk in the background. I tried practicing in the Area 51. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. After I load it, all I get for the results is the "back" button.

Can anyone help...???

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've been told that the e-brake is actually a small drum brake mechanism, and not part of the rear disk brake mechanism.

This makes sense, as my other car with rear disks has a separate caliper for the parking brake.

Assuming that I'm right about the small drum brake, then setting the e-brake will not adjust the rear calipers.

Regardless, I never use the e-brake, except once in a rare while when I want to leave the car running and exit the vehicle. Other than that I leave it (park it) in first. There's no need to apply un-needed effort (drum or not) to the rear disk assembly over an extended time. If the disk is really hot, then warping can be an issue.

Have Fun,
Randy R...

·
Registered
302 Posts
a mechanic friend of mine says that if i put a coffee can on the back of the my car it will go faster. actually i agree about there being a little drum brake assembly inside the rear rotors. thats the way my toyota was and i can't believe ford reinvented the wheel. when i first parked my car in the drive in first no parking brake it rolled just a little i think it won't happen now that the car is broken in a little but i use the parking brake. also you might consider using the parking brake without first gear especially in parking lots where the car might get nudged it might save the trans. a little off the subject but i read somewhere where drum brakes are cheaper to make and install then drums. i don't see how but.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Speaking of e-brakes....does anyone else have about an inch or two of slop or play in the handle before it actually engages or clicks? The thing just flops around like the cable is super loose? Any fixes?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts