Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, a guy that is doing paint work on our R mentioned to Bill that to keep from getting swirl marks on our cars to use a "damp" cotton only towel when drying them. We need to spray them till they are damp when starting to dry them and not start with a dry towel. And don't use a circular motion. Roll the towel up and dry. He also mentioned to use a squeegie first to get the excess water off. He said to go to Costco to get one like he uses on his 67 GTA Fastback.

We really appreciated that information as we always start with a dry towel and Bill has spent hours getting the swirl marks out of Bullette this summer! We don't want to put any back on for God's sake! :smile:

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think that's good advice. I use a California Water Blade to whisk the major puddles off the 'steed' (feel like I'm scraping a thoroughbred) then follow with a damp towel. Actually, I lay a dry towel down and let it absorb just a bit then get going on the real drying.

No swirls yet!

DHG #2095

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTCOUPE on 2001-11-20 22:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
396 Posts
hi guys,
I dont remember if I posted this in an old post, but, I bought an electric leaf blower to dry off my car after washing it. Works real fast and you never touch the paint and no spots left behind.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The "Absorber" is the best $8 I ever spent. We have very hard water here and I would never be able to get the spots of the car without it.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ever since Dona mentioned "The Absorber" we have been using it too! It work great! Also, someone I know that has a classic Mustang and 2 newer Stangs says he used the color of towel that his car is so when it leaves lint, the lint matches the car! Have you ever heard of such a thing!! :smile:

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
A very key item when drying is NOT to press
too hard. I could rub my Bullitt with my
6 month old son's bottom and if I pressed
too hard it would leave swirls. (and I could
be thrown in jail for child abuse) The point
is it does not matter how soft the material
is that you are using for drying, if you push
hard it will scratch. I try to use the weight
of the cloth or less via slight lifting.
This also applies to using the paraffin wax
impregnated dusters. I try not to let the
full weight of the duster rub on the clear.

The water blade works well but the blade
must be contaminate free, otherwise it will
scratch the clearcoat...and again you don't
have to press very hard.

Just my 4.6 cents.
I am a paint preservation freak!

DHG #3875
Modifications:
BULLITT chase scene recreated on rear dash
with Revell 1/25 scale 68 GT 390 Fastback and
68 Charger R/T metal body models. Unfortunately
the hub caps don't come off the Charger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PY on 2001-12-30 21:43 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PY on 2001-12-30 21:47 ]</font>

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, PY, on the 2 cents on the drying techniques. I guess I will really need all the pointers now as I will be the one detailing Bullette now with Bill putting all of his attention on the R! Drats!

Vicki

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-30 22:02, TwoStangWmn wrote:

I will be the one detailing Bullette now with Bill putting all of his attention on the R! Drats!

Vicki

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

The party's over, ...........time to call it a day. ROTFLMAO

·
Registered
821 Posts
TwoStang - It's the "ABSORBER" the best??? I'm glad I found out about it too!

:grin:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I start with the WaterBlade, followed by the Absorber (which leaves a little water residue), followed by a traditional dampened leather chamois. When I have time I apply Zaino Z-6 which gets all remaining water spots/residue (wiped off with 100% cotton high-end white bath towels [better than we use in the house]). Last step is cleaning the Waterblade (wipe it with the Absorber), cleaning the Absorber+chamois (rinse with warm water).

Perhaps a bit of work. It's a black car...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts