Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everybody think about a v6 mustang. Ive never driven in one. I remember 2 years ago I was about to buy a mustang, and the saleman wanted me to get a v6. He said they have a lot of power. Is it not a good investment to buy one. What type of people usually buy the v6 over the v8. Im asking these questions because my friend is debating getting a v6 mustang or maybe something else. he doesnt want to get a v8 because of his insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
The V6 Mustang is a pretty good car. I had rented one in Florida when I was down there for training and it was a nice car. It's not a GT but it is an all around good car. And you can mod them up pretty well. I remember seeing that a few of the tuners are working on road racing V6's.. I also saw an article in MM&FF about a supercharged V6 test/show car from Borla. And after all.. it's a Mustang!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I traded in my V6 for the Bullitt. Mine was a '98 with 150HP. The '99's up have 190. Not too shabby. If you want to see what the V6 is capable of, go to http://www.v6power.com and check out the message boards. They had a 99 V6 over there in the 13's, course, it was SC'd. There is a lot of potential in the V6, just expensive to get it up to an older GT HP.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I also rented a "6" vert while visiting in Fla. Not a bad car, but I really missed the V8 and the Bullitt

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, that V6 in the 13's over on V6power might belong to a friend of mine, he has a black 99, that has been recently featured in 5.0 and MM&FF. His best is a 13.18 on street tires, and since then he has swapped in a 4.2 block over the 3.8
neat car!

The regular V6 Mustang is not a bad car, just not a lot of refinement.
Another V6, low insurance car to look at is the Contour SVT, now that is a great little sport sedan.

·
Registered
451 Posts
A 2001 V6 Mustang is what ultimately led to my Bullitt purchase. My father is a manager at a Ford dealer, and he was driving a 5 sp V6 as a demo when I went to visit him recently.

It's been an eventful 1.5 yrs or so, resulting in the loss of (among other things) my beloved '95 4.6l Thunderbird LX. I've been driving an '89 Accord since late Jan, and had begun to succumb to the dark side. (FWD, small, 4 cyl, foreign) Frankly, the Accord impresses the hell out of me for what it is and having 150k miles. But I digress...

I'd been dreaming of a WRX, and figured I'd test drive one soon, and hopefully be ready to pick up a car payment again by late 2002.

So, I'm visiting my dad, and he's telling me how great the new V6 'stangs are compared to the old ones. Mentally I'm nearly rolling my eyes, but honestly I've rarely found a flaw with anything he's said about cars, and I still learn things from him all the time. I take his out for a drive. WOW.

Are they slow compared to our cars? Of course. But does it have some balls? (No offense with word choice, I hope.) Yes, and more than you would expect. It may not be a Bullitt, or a GT, but it's no slouch. MORE than enough power for passing, merging, etc, and definitely enough to have some fun with. It gets rubber in second with ease.

This experience made me forget the WRX in a heartbeat. No matter what it drove like, it wouldn't have that RWD feel, and it's not a Mustang. Not that I'd buy a V6 probably. But, that experience led to my father saying he could probably get me into a GT right now. Which led to a discussion of the Bullitt. Which led to my purchase of the Bullitt. For a GT, I'd still have waited until next year. For the Bullitt I was willing to stretch things a bit. :smile:

Sorry so long, but I still feel like I got away with something somehow, and LOVE thinking about how lucky I got to get this car.

Short answer: I've got some fairly warm and fuzzy feelings about the V6, and I'd say it's a great car as long as the purchaser understands that they are not buying a GT.

Joe

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I've had a 98 Red V-6 and it hauled ass for a six. It did 11 flats on the 8th... not bad, I don't think. But I've taken out plenty of v-6 camaros and fellow mustangs with 5 speeds while only driving a auto. But I guess it's all about the driver! Lol.

The v-6 is a good buy, definately. A 2001 v-6 smoked my ass one night in Oklahoma when I raced him. The auto just couldn't hang. I'd rather get a v-6 than a rice beater.

Los
#3753 True Blue

·
Registered
199 Posts
Los, there are some pretty tricked out V-6's up here. Don't ask me why but there are.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
"don't ask me why" - ROFL!!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'd get a v-6 for GAS PURPOSES ONLY. Other than that, I really wouldn't waste my money on souping up a V-6. As much as you can spend on that weenie 6, God knows I love my 3.8, you'll get more hp than that on a 4.6, 5.0, or 5.8. Take your pick. But a 3.8 is just a v-8 missing two cylinders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts