Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I bought a DVD player in 1987, the only time I have been ahead of the curve, but over the years I have a large collection of VHS movies, mostly Disney, that are just sitting there. I want to know what all of you out there have done with these tapes. I have purchased most of what I like in the DVD format so what do I do with the rest? Are they just garbage? The last VHS Movie I bought was Lady and the Tramp and it is a wide screen copy-I don't even have a VHS hooked up to the big TV anymore. My wife tapes Corronation Street and CSI but I've got to the point if I dont' watch it the first time-I'll watch it on DVD when its released. (and you a-holes who are holding back season 3 of Battlestar will pay someday)

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
You can buy a machine that does both VHS and DVD, so I suppose you could use it to record any old VHS tapes onto DVD.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well if you are computer savy you can buy a tv tuner card for your pc. Then you can run your vhs movies through your computer and use your computer as a dvr (tivo). Thusly taking the vhs and converting them all to digital format.

With this you will also be able to record other tv programming and such. There is some issues with HD and digital channels but from what i gather if you hook the cable box into the card you may not be able to use the pc to change channnels but you will still be able to record it.

I have recently been looking into this so maybe someone with more knowledge about the subject can chime in if your interested.

Oh yah, they range from in prices from 60 ~ 200 with the increase in price due to various features.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I have the same dilema what to do with all of those old tapes. So your question got me to thinking and this is one of the better ideas I found on the net.

Donate the movies to a hospital or perhaps the Disney movies could be donated to a daycare center.

And best of all it could be a tax deduction!!!!

Here is a link pertaining to that very thing.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/388272/recycle_those_old_vhs_tapes.html

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I have recycled, and am in the process of recycling some more. I should be down to the camcorder vhs recordings before too much longer. Those I will keep as they are Justin doing his Scouting, piano concert playing, etc. They look crappy in todays higher tech screens, comparatively speaking. But, it's not like they can be improved for resolution and such. They are what they are. Look at ebay, even there they aren't getting enough to post them up for sale. So, I'm just going through them keeping what we want, and recycling the rest.:rolleyes:

BTW, I'm doing the same with the cassette audio recordings. I think I'll skip investing in any serious CD equipment, and just jump to the thumb drive memory sticks and ipods...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts