Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed on a few forums a number of Bullitts have higher vin numbers with a low chassis number. ie. vin #125 chassis # 27 and someone else vin# 90 chassis # 80. Doesn’t it stand to reason if an earlier vin number is generated an earlier chassis number goes with it? I thought all mustangs had sequential vin numbers as they were assembled on the same assembly line? Is there a separate assembly line for bullitts?

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
No and no. The cars are not built sequentially so VIN is very unlikely to match KO #. All Mustangs are built at Flat Rock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. With that in mind, how does Ford’s process work when dealing with it’s specialty cars?
Might it have gone something like this? I’ll use mine as an example.
Ordered my Bullitt in April. Vin gets generated shortly after (#92). But because the order is from western Canada, ford waits until enough mustangs (and Bullitt s) are ordered to make it worthwhile to build them to send on one train to the west without building them earlier and having them sit in their holding lots too long until they are ready for transport out west. Hence, because of this delay, other Mustangs and bullitts are built to closer eastern destinations until there are enough western orders. (with corresponding higher chassis #’s). I have #80.
Is/was that a feasible scenario?

·
Administrator
6,588 Posts
While I can't say exactly what all the scheduling considerations are because that is known to people at Ford, one other thing to consider is the option combination in addition to country destination. It appears there are packaging differences even between the US and Canada, which would be more likely to account for how things are sequenced on the production lines. Transportation considerations within North America are potentially a secondary consideration but I believe production constraints is the main driver. This is my speculation, just on seeing how some Canadian purchasers got their '19s and had earlier VINs, along with others in the US that weren't far off in the sequence.

All of 3 generations, this one is more likely to have VIN and chassis number be closer because there are separate body codes built into the VIN sequence, rather than being intermingled with the GT and EcoBoost cars.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
13,824 Posts
PP002 and PP007 from the LLT this year had sequential VINs as well, but a gap in chassis number.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Registered
169 Posts
I still have no idea how my two numbers are so wildly different. VIN 12 and chassis number 95. Especially for a U.S. car that was only being shipped 3 hours away. It seems like most others have VINs and chassis numbers that are at least within 20-30 of each other if not closer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are the perfect example Matt, of the indiscrepancy in the numbers. You obliviously were one of the very first individuals to order a Bullitt (or mustang for that matter). You did your “due diligence” to find a dealer to have the order sent in in a timely manner to result in a correspondingly low chassis number. For some reason, you are “punished” for Ford”s administrative process resulting in your chassis number of 95, when my vin is 92 but my Bullitt gets built before yours at 80? And you are much closer to the factory than I am!
Most of the time it is Mustang Enthusiasts like us who are the first customers to order specialty cars like these and should be acknowledged as such on a “first come first served basis”. Really, how hard can that be?

·
Premium Member
8,786 Posts
Ok. With that in mind, how does Ford’s process work when dealing with it’s specialty cars?
Might it have gone something like this? I’ll use mine as an example.
Ordered my Bullitt in April. Vin gets generated shortly after (#92). But because the order is from western Canada, ford waits until enough mustangs (and Bullitt s) are ordered to make it worthwhile to build them to send on one train to the west without building them earlier and having them sit in their holding lots too long until they are ready for transport out west. Hence, because of this delay, other Mustangs and bullitts are built to closer eastern destinations until there are enough western orders. (with corresponding higher chassis #’s). I have #80.
Is/was that a feasible scenario?
No. I believe one of the first Bullitts delivered was at a dealership in Vancouver or somewhere in Western Canada. The Mustangs, after they are produced and released, are sent to a Rail Head/Commercial Hauler and either loaded on a Rail Car or Truck Transporter. If anything, when a car is loaded to be shipped is dependent on total Ford products going to that area, not how many Mustangs. If your theory was the case, the Detroit area would be swarming with 2019 Bullitts since there are several Ford dealers within 30 to 40 miles of the plant; less than 1 hour drive from FRAP. After almost 3 weeks of ownership, I'm just now hearing other local Detroiters taking delivery of their Bullitts.

·
Administrator
6,588 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine is way off too. 127 between my VIN and chassis number. Wonder if the ones from the first one that came to Canada were in sequence chassis number wise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts