Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've sure gone through a lot of VIN questions since my order date back in January but came up with another one.

I know the only way to identify a genuine Bullitt is by the special ID sticker under the hood, and of course, the hidden one. Just wondering why Ford doesn't put a number or letter in the VIN #s to identify it as special edition car. Example: Calif. Special or Boss 429 or Shelbys? Or do they? I know the P42 in our Vins is for the GT model.

Vicki

·
Registered
144 Posts
Vicki: I have been wondering about the VIN myself. I noticed that after P42 there is an "X" in the engine type position (position 8 ). My delivering dealer gave me a copy of a status sheet that they get in to show build status. There was also a GT on the list, but it did not have an "X" in position 8. In addition I have an additional "X" in position 9.

I attempted to find out on the Ford web site about VIN coding for 2001. All I could find was information on light trucks. grrrrrrrrr!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt 289 on 2001-08-05 23:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
280 Posts
My 2000 GT VIN starts with 1FAFP42X just like your 2001 Bullitts.

The ninth digit is a check digit and must be a number 0-9, or the letter X. This is true of all Fords.

The tenth digit is the model year - mine is Y for 2000, yours is 1 for 2001.

The eleventh digit is F denoting the Dearborn Assembly Plant, which is where all of our Mustangs area built.

The last 6 digits are the sequential build #, and we've all labored over the Bullitt's and found absolutely NO corrolation between VIN # and Bullitt ID #.

I think that Ford should have used a different letter for the engine ID (eighth position). X stands for 4.6 SOHC, whether it's a GT with crappy black plastic intake, or Bullitt with the beautiful aluminum intake. But, since they didn't, the VIN will tell you nothing, other than you have a GT coupe.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Ford could be doing us a favor because our insurance rates are the same as a regular GT and we have more power.

·
Registered
144 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-06 06:58, tskatz wrote:
Ford could be doing us a favor because our insurance rates are the same as a regular GT and we have more power.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

That's interesting. When I told my insurance agent that I was buying a Mustang, she wanted to know if it was a GT or Bullitt GT. I am assuming there was a difference in the rate. Why else would she ask? I didn't ask if the rate was higher because it wouldn't have made any difference in my decision to buy the Bullitt.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Bullitt's are registered to meet the same emission requirement as the GT engine therefore they carry the same engine code, an X.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Just a little info..You can decode your vin number at qrptx.com There is nothing in the vin to designate for a bullitt..typical ford b.s.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-06 17:48, Mr.T wrote:
Bullitt's are registered to meet the same emission requirement as the GT engine therefore they carry the same engine code, an X.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Mr. T you are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for all the clarifications you've provided in this forum.

2001 Mustang GT Bullitt dark highland green #1302
1999 Mustang GT black 4.6 5spd
19641/2 Mustang blue 289 auto

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-08-07 09:48 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
yes, once again..thanks Mr.T

my insurance agent had to charge me a little more for an 01 Bullitt than he would have had i bought an 01 GT. it wasn't very much though. My insurance went up $200.00 a year over my 99 GT

funny thing, my 99 GT had XXX ( triple X)
all together in my VIN -LOL (go ahead Bob!)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Now that you mention it, when I got the quote from my insurance guy, he told me X amount. I said great. Last week he called to let me know the insurance would be just a little higher than the original quote. I figured it was just a small miscalculation. Now I'm not so sure. But if there's nothing in the VIN, how do they know it's a Bullit? Maybe I had a bigger grin on my face than the normal GT owner. :grin:

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
HAD to be the "grin"!! -LOL

·
Registered
835 Posts
P42 in the VIN is the Mustang Coupe Chassis code. The 135A Option Package was what differentiated the Bullitts from the other GTs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Actually, 135A isn't an option package - it's a PEP Code (Preferred Equipment Package). It's a whole trim level indicator. An option code would be for an individual option like a stereo.

In 2000, Mustangs didn't use PEP Codes, so my Springtime Feature Package was an option code (54X). The Bullitt's option code is 54M, but you guys never saw that on your orders because typing in 135A for a PEP Code identified the car enough on the order.

Yeah, I know, it's confusing and doesn't really matter. It's just useless trivia.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey, that just prompted an interesting thought on whether there is a way to prove it's a Bullitt beyond the VIN and ID tag. I'm currently sold out of Bullitt's, so one of you guys go open your driver's door. Read the build tag in the door jam. See is 54M shows as a code anywhere on the tag! Codes for paint, trim, axle, etc. are on that tag. If the 54M is there, then perhaps that's a way to validate a Bullitt!

And now that I think about it, maybe the Bullitt option code was 54G, not 54M. I'm at home right now, trying to post from memory. I know my 2000 Feature GT was 54X.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had a revelation. Open the driver's door and look at your build tag again. In the lower left corner it says "trim code." Bullitt's have unique trim, so the code is unique! I'm guessing, but I think the Bullitt trim code is KW. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But that's going to be an easy way in the future to detect a fake Bullitt. Trim Code it is! This will work even in the True Blue or Black Bullitt's, not just the DHG's.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There it is, bullittheads! If it doesn't say KW for the trim code, then it is NOT a Bullitt!

Keep that in mind 20 years down the road when you're trying to validate a 2001 as a Bullitt.

Mid Life Crisis #388, thank you for looking!

·
Registered
280 Posts
By the way, the K is the Bullitt specific part which refers to the seat design/type, while the W stands for Dark Charcoal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts