Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking today--after admiring the new vinyl top I got on my 69--that they haven't made Mustangs with vinyl tops for years now, correct? Why? Anyone? :???: for that matter, I haven't seen any newer cars with vinyl tops! Just curious...

Vicki

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a white vinyl roof on my 65 coupe. Wish I didn't. Can you just take the vinyl off, paint it, and have a regular roof?

I was just reading a history of Mustangs book this week and realized for the first time that vinyl tops were supposed to be "luxury" options. eccch.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
There was a dealership here in town that used to offer "Olympia" packages on almost all their cars. (Olympia Fields Ford). This wasn't a Vinyl roof but rather a cloth one.. Kinda like the faux converitble tops that used to be popular on the Cadillacs.
I used to like the 1/2 vinyl roofs on the bigger luxury cars or the Landau roofs I think they were called.
I think the last Mustang to have on was the Mustang II. I may be wrong but I belive the only ohter on recent cars were either one-offs or dealer installed.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've seen mid-nineties Buick Roadmasters with the half-vinyl top. I've seen them in blue, black & burgundy, but I don't know whether it's a factory or dealer option.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sorry, I never liked the vinyl roofs cause I was afraid of the rust forming underneath. Over the years I have seen a few really bad ones. It would almost seem worth it to take the vinyl top off and repair the roof so you can run without it.
Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I really like the cars that have the worn out vinyl tops that are separated or ripped from the front and look like a big "roof scoop" going down the road...that's classy :wink:

Can you imagine the bug collection built up inside of that thing after a couple weeks of driving?

John G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts