Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked with a friend of mine at Ford about this club and a lot of the modifications you guys are making. He says mechanical modifications voids the warranty. Just wanted to let you all know you may want to delay them until the warranty expires. He says he knows of 1 SVT owner who blew the engine, removed the hardware to try to cover up the changes, and was still denied repairs under warranty.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Never do a mod that can't be easily put back to stock. Every mod on my list can be returned to original stock with the exception of the Magnaflows. Bottom line why would the dealer make a big issue of it? It's not good for future business if he does. I am sure they are only going to focus on what you want fixed. So if you are bringing it in for an tranny complaint put the stock shifter back in (in my case).

John

·
Registered
448 Posts
I guess my question would be which ones void it? Does exhaust changes and Densecharger? That's about all I plan for now, except maybe the Steeda shifter. Not worried about the interior bits, but would like some mild performance mods without voiding it. :smile:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
354 Posts
As I understand it, modifying your vehicle will not void the warranty. If your vehicle has a problem that is covered by the warranty, then the dealer will repair it. If the problem was caused by the modification, then the dealer is not obligated to pick up the cost of the repair under warranty.

There needs to be a direct cause and affect relationship between the modification and the problem for owner to burden the cost of repair.

For example, if you add a densecharger, then go to the dealer for a transmission problem, then unless the dealer can prove that the densechanger caused the transmission problem (highly doubtfull), then the tranmission repair is covered by warranty.

Make sense?

Additionally, I believe there is a law that states that the mear act of modifying a vehicle can no way by itself void a warranty.

Bottomline - use common sense, and remember "cause and affect".

Have Fun,
Randy R...

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is a lot of info on this topic over at www.corral.net in the Modular forum. It mostly comes down to common sense. For example a supercharger will void the warranty on your engine and tranny. Shouldn't be any question about that one. If you supercharge you should be prepared for an engine rebuild. The same is true for nitrous oxide and any other power adder. If you put a hole in a piston or blow your intake through your hood don't even try to get your dealer to honor the warranty, stock cars just don't do that.

It gets more questionable with things like pullies. Our cars already have them so it's not a big deal, but a set of aftermarket pullies on a GT or Cobra could void the warranty if you have any problems with the timing chains, engine "balance", etc. A lot of Mustangs (Saleen, Roush, etc.) come with a K&N filter so it would be difficult for a dealer to blame a problem on the densecharger unless your MAF has a thick coat of K&N oil on it.

The best thing to do is use a little common sense. If your Bullitt is your daily driver keep the mods to a minimum. If it's your play car and the warranty isn't that important to you, go nuts!

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
good thoughts Rob!

·
Registered
584 Posts
It depends on the dealer. Some are OK with it. Talk to them before you do it. I did some mods on my last Mustang 2000 GT and they actually gave me some advise "if dump the mufflers you need to open up the intake". My brother-in-law is a Ford mechanic and showed me Fords online tech site. They mention after market mods but don't seem to care unless it was clearly the cause of the damage. It's been several months since I read that so I can't quote any examples.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I simply love me #3068 Mustang Bullitt GT. I don't have the time or spare money to modify the work of art!

To one and all...in Bullitt world...have a safe and glorious holiday season, I remain

A Fellow Bullitter,

PJRN

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
That is true, However a buddy of mine was shotting a 150 shot of NOS in his svt contour and blew it.. pulled everything put it back to stock and got it covered under warrenty. You just have to know who to go to and what to do and what not to do
then again he might have gotten lucky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts