Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so it's time to up the ante a bit now. I'd like to go one size smaller from the 3.33" pulley to a 3.12". My car has the dual cobra pumps, but no boost-a-pump. I'd like to add the boost-a-pump rather than go larger on the injectors. Currently there are 30lb Ford racing injectors in the car. For those of you who have the BAP, have you been able to dial out a high rpm lean condition with the BAP? I've read so much on all this now I am dizzy. Kenne Bell's site says you can run into the 500+ rwhp range through 30lb injectors with the use of the BAP. Ford Racing says only 306(no BAP), which is crap since my car has already been dynoed at 410 back in 2002, and the 30lb injectors were standard with the Steeda/Vortech systems for several years. Now they have gone with larger 42lb injectors, I'm guessing because there were some who were having lean conditions at high rpm. They were basing the 306rwhp on 12V to the pump, the BAP will raise that up to 17V which is where the increased fuel comes from.
The other thing I'm unsure of is the IAT sensor location. On my car it is in the MAF elbow. Most people say it should be after the supercharger. I'd be curious where others have their IAT sensors located. For those of you who haved moved yours, did you put them in the silicon soft lines somewhere or drill right into the piping?
Thanks in advance for any help....John R

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey John, i think you should be fine with the duel cobra pump setup you already have with no boost a pump.Not quite sure about what injector size you should be useing,i have the green top 42s in mine.As far as iat sensor s concerned ,you should relocate to the discharge tube about 12 inches from the throttle body so the computer can make more accurate readings as far as timing and fuel is concerned.It is best to just drill a hole in the piping and you can stuff a grommet in it if you like.I was told it is very important to relocate the iat sensor to the new location because where you have it right now you risk the chance of your computer not reading the proper intake temps and you could possibly do damage to your engine.This info was referred to me by Tim Barth at MPH who is one of the best tuners in the industry.I would just give Tim a call ,just to be sure about your fuel pump issues,they would be more than happy to give you some excellent advice. GREG

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
John, I have the single 255 Focus pump and BAP (set at 32), 42. lb injectors and 3.0 pulley....BUT you should be more than good with the pumps, but I would up the injectors to atleast 42's

I also have the IAT set after the blower, which from what I understand is a MUST, so that it reads the acutal air going into the engine, not whats being sucked in, then sent through the entire system. A friend of mine blew his engine with the IAT before the blower, it was reading normal, but sucking in HOT air and needless to say it went boom!

....anyway, as a quick fix I drilled into the coupler, but in the future I will be getting a threaded sensor to scew into the pipe rather than having it just "stuck" in there

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys. It sounds like the first thing I should do is move the IAT sensor. Then I will see if I can duplicate the occasional high rpm detonation. It happens so infrequently it's hardly worth worrying about, but the fact that it does happen at all is not great.
My reasoning for the BAP is that it will provide room for almost unlimited growth in the future and would also give me a fix for the current issue if it continues after moving the sensor.
Here is a chart from FordFuelInjection.com showing what Ford injectors are capable of...
Injector Lb/Hr....Max V8 HP.....HP supported by 1......injector Ford Color*
14 Lb/Hr......... 228 ..........28.56 .................Gray
19 Lb/Hr......... 310 ..........38.76 .................Orange
24 Lb/Hr......... 391 ..........48.96 .................Lt Blue
30 Lb/Hr......... 490 ..........61.19 .................Red
36 Lb/Hr......... 587 ..........73.44 .................Dk Blue
42 Lb/Hr......... 685 ..........85.68 .................Lt Green
60 Lb/Hr......... 800 ..........100

Going by this I still haven't peaked the red 30lb injectors I am using. The Steeda tune was done with the 30lbers, so I am hesitant to change too drastically. It is odd though that the same kit now comes with 42 lb injectors. The thing is if I add the BAP I can then control both fuel and timing on my own. I have a Steeda timing adjuster on the car, and with the BAP I could dial up the fuel pressure also, which would allow for more fuel delivery.
As for the pulley, I may just go with a Boost Pipe instead, as they are supposed to net another pound of boost by themselves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts