Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I am getting ready to buy and install a super charger model 4FL218-088SQ. I would like to know if anyone has any info good or bad on this unit , like if You have one how much noticable differance did it make, how were your times before and after? I have been wanting one for a while but the cost has detered me before, now I think I can swing but I would like some info on it. Thanks

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I have had mine for 3.5 years and probably about 40K miles. The power surprised me, but not in a good way. I expected it to be unbelievably powerful whenever I hit the gas, but no. You do get power throughout the powerband, but the really noticeable power doesn't hit until about 3500 rpms. How often are you above 3500rpms? Also, realize that you don't get the real power unless you go WOT. At partial throttle you are restricting the boost considerably so the actual "grunt" is not as I had expected. I guess I expected cam type gains and not centrifugal blower type gains.

On a positive note, when you do go WOT at 3500+rpms the power is phenomenal! The blower is pretty much problem free. Because it shares the oil with the engine when the car gets an oil change, so does the blower. Changing the belt is a serious PITA, but I have only changed my belt once.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I kind of like the fact that it doesn't come into play unless you are getting into it. I think it makes it more daily driver friendly. If you ever want to prove a point or feel what the charger is really doing for the car just downshift one gear get the revs around 3000 and floor it! It will make you grin from ear to ear!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yeah I hate it myself. Totally problem free , customer service is great(try that w/Kenne Bell):wink: and 34000 miles. I've ran low 11's on just the blower.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you shouldn't do the Vortech, I'm just saying that it is not what I had expected.

If you want to hear about bad KB service, look for P-51 Bullitt's recent posts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
At the risk of sounding like an ass (and Im not trying to) why would you expect a fresh kick in the ass at any given RPM with a centrifugal blower?

Ive had no issues with mine at all. Just get used to people asking "Is that a turbo?" at car shows and "Hey man, there's something whistling under your hood" at gas stations.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
If you are in the right gear when you nail it, you will like it a bunch.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
helty said:
At the risk of sounding like an ass (and Im not trying to) why would you expect a fresh kick in the ass at any given RPM with a centrifugal blower?
I knew that the real power wouldn't come on until later, but I did expect more of it down low.

·
Registered
98 Posts
5111 said:
I knew that the real power wouldn't come on until later, but I did expect more of it down low.
Fair enough. I'll admit I was a little "eh?" the first time I took mine for a spin. Then again I was test driving it and the then-current owner (greenstreak) was riding shotgun. I gave it 3/4 throttle around 2500 rpms and took it to 4k, that was it.

The first time I REALLY got on it, from 3800 rpms in 2nd gear.......yeah, its got some balls.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Going on 4 years with mine, no problems at all and I love it. On the street or on the track Vortech performs flawlessly. You won't be sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts