Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm wondering, my 2019 when I shift it isn't very smooth in 2nd and 3rd. In comparison to my 2008 that shifts like butter.

I thinking it could be the crappy shifting forks. What do you think? I'm not a gear grinder so that is not the problem.

Next, if it is the shifting forks how easy are they to change. Is it something you can do easily at home? Or is it best to take it to a garage (something I hate doing.)

Thank you for your help.

·
Administrator
6,299 Posts
I am with pwd72s and bullit4404!

Reactions: Karykid

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, do you think it is something that is worth fixing or should I let it be? It isn't a great feeling but I don't want to create more of a problem by trying to pursue this one annoyance.

·
Premium Member
14,122 Posts
There have been reports of shifting forks failing. I don't know if Ford has issued a TSB (tech service bulletin) on this or not. I have read that the 2021 Mach one will be going back to a tremec transmission, a hint that the Getrag 6 speed may not be working out too well. I've also read that there are stronger replacement forks available.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Like absolute garbage. I’ve owned 30+ Mustangs and haven’t hated a transmission as much as this one in my 2019. Before that it was my 2001 Bullitt. First to second gear crunch issue when cold on the 2001s that is well documented.

Good luck getting your dealer to touch your 2019 until it actually breaks. Mine said Ford tech line simply asked if it still completed each shift for all gears. Answer - yes. Then no issue as far as they are concerned. Some babble about a counterweight outside of the transmission that is supposed to vibrate too when I get a wicked vibration accelerating through a 3-4 and 4-5 shift. I honestly gave up with Ford even after the GM, Service Manager and lead transmission tech said they would be upset if they bought it too. Then the dealer told me to beat on it until it breaks. Under warranty. Then Ford will maybe do something. That likely won’t happen as I have 7000 kms only in it in two years and never beat on it.

First out of warranty thing I am doing to mine is a different transmission. And then maybe I’ll trust putting the Steeda tune on it and have some fun.

What’s a real bummer for me was I was very excited that they didn’t force the automatic on the 50th Anniversary Bullitt that I long awaited coming out and then they stick this Chinese piece of garbage in it.

Sorry. A bit of a rant there but these are the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I had the 1-2 crunch when cold on my '06 GT and my '14 GT/SC was a little better and I don't have it at all on the '19 Bullitt. Having said that, haven't some people had luck changing the trans fluid to something like a Royal Purple?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the 1-2 crunch when cold on my '06 GT and my '14 GT/SC was a little better and I don't have it at all on the '19 Bullitt. Having said that, haven't some people had luck changing the trans fluid to something like a Royal Purple?
Oh I missed that. Be interested to hear if that is indeed the case. Although that wouldn’t fix the rattle/vibration but I’m all in for smoother shifting.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like absolute garbage. I’ve owned 30+ Mustangs and haven’t hated a transmission as much as this one in my 2019. Before that it was my 2001 Bullitt. First to second gear crunch issue when cold on the 2001s that is well documented.

Good luck getting your dealer to touch your 2019 until it actually breaks. Mine said Ford tech line simply asked if it still completed each shift for all gears. Answer - yes. Then no issue as far as they are concerned. Some babble about a counterweight outside of the transmission that is supposed to vibrate too when I get a wicked vibration accelerating through a 3-4 and 4-5 shift. I honestly gave up with Ford even after the GM, Service Manager and lead transmission tech said they would be upset if they bought it too. Then the dealer told me to beat on it until it breaks. Under warranty. Then Ford will maybe do something. That likely won’t happen as I have 7000 kms only in it in two years and never beat on it.

First out of warranty thing I am doing to mine is a different transmission. And then maybe I’ll trust putting the Steeda tune on it and have some fun.

What’s a real bummer for me was I was very excited that they didn’t force the automatic on the 50th Anniversary Bullitt that I long awaited coming out and then they stick this Chinese piece of garbage in it.

Sorry. A bit of a rant there but these are the facts.

Thank you for the honest reply. Like you, I'm not a person that drives a lot and I'm easy on the clutch so I guess I will just tolerate it for now.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi Kary!
Like you, I had re-learn how to shift from an 08 to a 19.
First, with the 19 clutch pedal spring break OEM high assist. Designed for maual newbies. I could not feel engagement or release. The Steeda spring helped there. Lets you feel the engagement and release thru all gears.
Second, the 19 even with the Steeda spring, the 19 is different than the 08, in that clutch release has to happen before go pedal is applied.
But my 2-3 shirts are smooth with the Steeda spring.
Third, complain to to Ford dealer about your issue, as our Bullitt Gertrag trans is made in China, no longer German made, setting you up for a long term warranty claim.
The shift fork issue is related to continual high RPM shift issues.
Finally, Ford is admitting this with the new Mach 1 with the Bullitt motor but with the Tremec trans. So make keep complaining to the dealership.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts