Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, While drivin' the bullitt home today from work, I noticed the shifter handle was getting warm to the touch.. i started to feel around console and it was also warm to the touch..This has happened before but not everytime i drive her( atleast i don't notice). I've Noticed the "catalytic converters" are pretty close to where the shifter comes through the floorboards. Could the heat be coming from the exhaust? Just wondering if i should be worried or what?
Ohh and by the way i changed over to the tri-ax about a 1 1/2 weeks ago, and i seem to remember another episode such as this with the old shifter.

I'm addicted o this site!

#4722 Black Clearcoat

·
Registered
586 Posts
Where do you life 4722? I mean, if it's in the south you probably have a simple case of 'hot-ass shifter-itis.' Normal to all of us.

That shifter ball is the primary thermostat for our Bullitts. I'm wondering what freeze-out winter has in store for us. I'm ready to grab that shifter one cold day and get a case of 'skin-stuck like your tongue on an ice cube-itis!'

Oh, and welcome. The guys here will figure out your problem faster than Ford ever will.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's as though the transmission is over heating when i drive. I can Feel down the shifter arm and it's down right hot! As i've said before it's only happened a couple of times before.

Thanx,
Biff

4722 Black clearcoat

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Welcome Biff, I ma in central Texas, weather is still in low 80s, will check 2276 out and advise.

Til this time I have not noticed the temp, going to fast to worry about it. Will let everyone know...

Welcome to the best Mustang site....

·
Registered
540 Posts
i am in utah and i have had freezing temp the last few nights. Word of warning...the shifter gets very cold. i am having my mom make me a cover that has an elastic bottom so i just can slip it over the shifter. now it won't freeze my hand in the winter or burn me in the summer. and with the cover my girl friend won't scratch the ball with her rings. something you boys should think about when you let the wife drive :smile:

Tyler

·
Registered
72 Posts
hotass-shifteritis...that is one to remember.

I heard another good one while couch potatoing last night. The secret foreign country all the good looking girls come from - hotchickoslavakia.

John G.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey! Watch it, watch it....I'm Czech!!

HeeHee :smile:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your shifter is going to have a bootie its gonna have a bootie lol can your mom make one for me cuz for some reason its getting pretty cold here in GA

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Hey Dona so is my mom's side of the family!!! Great-grandparents were imigrants from outside Prauge (I think?) My mom was the only grand-child who learned to speak Slovac. Unfortunately I can't because that's how mom and grandma would talk about my Christmas/birthday presents in front of me growing up.
Cam

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
To back up a few comments, even when 1161 is being driven on cool days, and out of the Sun, the shifter area warms up, and I feel a radiant hit coming from the tranny area.

Not enough to *really* worry me, unless the tranny catches fire or explodes, then I'd be p-o'd :wink:.

Mike

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Drove to Ft. Worth over the weekend, ~260 miles each way. Paid particular attention to the floorboard, shifter and the hump area. There was no noticible temp increase in any area. Actually these areas were cool to the touch.

·
Registered
302 Posts
maybe it's global warming Ralph and Al were right!!! think about this because the shift lever is directly connected to the transmission any heat inside the transmission will transfer up the shift lever if you are low on transmission fluid you will have more heat build up. so check your tranmission fluid if your worried. hot floorboards are a different matter if the carpet starts to burn then theres a problem. what i've noticed is that this car is warmer then most cars i've owned but i think it's because it's a V8 and the motor has been moved back closer to the firewall for balance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never had a problem with the shifter handle getting warm untill I switched to the Steeda shifter. The shifter ball gets down right hot when driving for more than 30 minutes. I still love the new shifter. It feels even more retro now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine does that from time to time also...there is no rhyme or reason to it, it just happens.

I bought one of George's shifter handles to a) preserve the stock one , and b) keep from getting my fingers burned off. plus it looks cooler IMHO, not that I'm knocking the stock one, it was way cool!

I'm wondering if the issue has anything to do with the shifting problems (excess heat being generated or something), but I'm more likely to think it's just the close proximity of the Cat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts