Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
40,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the horns of a dilemma. Over the weekend I tried washing the Bullitt and found the Highland Green particularly stubborn for streaking. I washed it the standard way, rinsed it the standard way, and attempted to chamois it dry... the usual way. But, lo and behold, no matter what I did, there were BIG UGLY STREAKS and WATERSPOTS. Any suggestions on how to make this an easier task? :confused:

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
not sure what could be the issue but I have always used mequiars gold class car wash / soap .......... even in the texas sun/ heat , she dries off spot and streak free.
I usually wash the bullitt off twice before drying and all I use to dry her off is a standard type terry cloth towel.

I use to get water spots and streaks with other type soaps so maybe it is something as simple as that?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Jim , another suggestion is Meguiars ultimate quick detailer. That stuff is really great. After I wash mine I go over it with the quick detailer and it really cleans up nicely. Also, if it just a little dirty you can detail the car real quick with that stuff. I think it looks NICE :)

·
40,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys. Meguiars. Got it. Now that I think about, it was probably the cheap, discount store dishwashing detergent I used. Gasp. I'm sorry!

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Hi Jim,
I would recommend drying with clean, quality, micro fiber towels. I use them on my 01 and like the results.

A chamois can streak and if grit gets into the chamois you will make fine scratches in that beautiful HG clearcoat.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
Hey Jim if you used dishwashing soap you may have taken all the wax off your car. Make sure you wash with a quality car wash soap and wax your car soon with something like Meguirs NXT!!
This is probably what happened......Need to wax it and never , never used dishwashing soap again..................

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
PhotoRick said:
Hi Jim,
I would recommend drying with clean, quality, micro fiber towels. I use them on my 01 and like the results.

A chamois can streak and if grit gets into the chamois you will make fine scratches in that beautiful HG clearcoat.
This is good tip.....Thanks Rick....I'll try it also......

·
40,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
droopysbullitt said:
Hey Jim if you used dishwashing soap you may have taken all the wax off your car. Make sure you wash with a quality car wash soap and wax your car soon with something like Meguirs NXT!!
Thanks, Greg. Don't think the wax came off, though. Still beading like crazy. What was I thinking???????????

·
40,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hickdaddy71 said:
Yes, I second using micro fiber towels as well, very important.
Okay, so where does one go to acquire these "micro-fiber" towels?

·
40,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PhotoRick said:
Hi Jim,

Thanks. Sorry, but I'm a chamois guy. Don't fret, though. You won't see a speck of grit in that chamois! I'll try the micro-fiber cloths too. Thanks again!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I use meguiar's drying towels also... but I have a big chunk of chamois that I'll use. I also use all meguiar's products and two buckets... one for the soapy water and one for rinsing out the dirt out of the soft sponges I have. I have a ton of the little microfiber towels for everything, but I chammy everything dry as I can, and finish up with those towels and detailer. I'm going to wash my car, polish it, and wax it soon... I've yet to put a good coat of wax on it. I'm so paranoid of scratches on dark paint, you have no idea. Also, keep rotating that chammy or towel so you don't smear dirt into the paint...

·
Registered
17 Posts
One thing I learned the hard way on the weekend. Don't dry the roof with a belt buckle on! Any tips to get out small scratches? I tired Nu-finish Scratch Doctor. It helped but I can still see the scratch.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Check these Products Out:

texasbullitt said:
not sure what could be the issue but I have always used mequiars gold class car wash / soap .......... even in the texas sun/ heat , she dries off spot and streak free.
I usually wash the bullitt off twice before drying and all I use to dry her off is a standard type terry cloth towel.

I use to get water spots and streaks with other type soaps so maybe it is something as simple as that?

I use the same

or

See this Link:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/11102.do

Car Wash
The Most Important Step In Car Care Is A Proper Cleaning
This is the MOST important step for paint preservation, yet many people overlook this crucial element when caring for their finish. With our Car Wash, the first thing you'll notice is how slippery it acts between your wash mitt and the paint. This is an important characteristic of our Car Wash and contributes to its ability to lift away contaminants while protecting the finish during your washing therapy. Many of the mild scratching you see in your finish is from aggressive washing. The dirt acts like sand paper, scratching the finish while you're rubbing the surface of your vehicle. Be gentle while washing, and frequently rinse out your mitt or brush during the cleaning process. Car Wash is gentle on your wax, yet removes more dirt and road grime than any car wash I've tested. Safe for all paints. We've added a unique measuring scale right on the label and an easy pour spout to reduce waste. Save some money, buy it by the gallon, and refill your bottle. Environmentally friendly too. Enjoy the best today!

Both are Great Products:

Terry

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Nu Finish

StvMcQueen said:
I'm on the horns of a dilemma. Over the weekend I tried washing the Bullitt and found the Highland Green particularly stubborn for streaking. I washed it the standard way, rinsed it the standard way, and attempted to chamois it dry... the usual way. But, lo and behold, no matter what I did, there were BIG UGLY STREAKS and WATERSPOTS. Any suggestions on how to make this an easier task? :confused:

Steve, I like to use Nu Finish (in the solid orange bottle). I apply a coat, wait a week, then apply a 2nd coat. They say that it lasts a year, but I like to do it every six months. Nu Finish is a polymer polish (like laminating your car), so it makes a nice smooth surface that helps protect againt little scratches and nicks from road debris. I have found that regular use of Nu Finish keeps the paint looking new for several years. If you throw on a spray-on wax or wax from a car wash on top of it from time to time, it looks fantastic.

A word of caution though; before you apply Nu Finish, you must make sure that the surface is spotless. Any dirt or foreign matter stuck to the surface that you polish over will be sealed in and will be difficult to remove.

Meguiar's and Mother's are great waxes too, but the shines don't last as long and you have to reapply more often. I have also heard that too much use of cleaner waxes is not good for the clearcoat.

Here is my car after applying 2 coats of Nu Finish:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
For washing, I use the local "wand" car wash, and always use the presoak first before soap and rinse. I never use the brush, not at least until I have Nu-Finish on the car. I use the wax and spot-free rinse to finish.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.