Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

Hi, my name is MustangJustin. I just posted for the first time here. Please welcome me to IMBOC!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Welcome to IMBOC ......MrStangman here checkin in after being enlightened :idea: about this post by Vicki the moderator:smile:
Sounds like it's "survey time" I'll chime in here I have a '68 Fastback and am going to be building a "Retro BULLITT" . I have my wish list of parts and will be lining things up soon for the building thereof .
If you want to really get down to detail I'd be happy to share my thoughts and ideas that I gathered at last years BULLITT Nats in San Francisco . Plus you can always watch the movie chase scene over and over enough times until your satisfied and then go back and freeze frame each scene and study the pics :lol::smile:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bullitt

Cheers Stang Man, it will be interesting to see your progress, are you going to go all the way with a tribute? Dents and dings included : )

Just kidding, why was all the chrome darkened out and the car de badged in the film I wonder?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Now that's a good question about the blacking out of the rocker moldings ,wheels and gas cap along with the debadging . That would have been a good question to ask Dave Kuntz. Although I think Dave mentioned that Steve McQueen wanted the car to be different in someway and so he put the dent in the left front fender himself .
Thinking that Steve McQueen wanted the car to be different in someway only ads to the reasoning for building the car the way it was done . Plus I think the blacking out and debadging gives it more of a "cleaner look" (as I call it) without having to take away from the film by advertising "Mustang"

Now about doing my "Retro BULLITT" At first I did actually think of building just like the movie car with the "after the chase " look . I still just might do that for a challenge but it will not be with the one I have . I would need to find a pretty good "donar car" to do that .

Being that in my former profession of over 14 years I did autobody repair work . I do know how to re-create all the body damage on the Fastback.
I just don't think I can find a 68 Charger that is willing to help me with the right side body damage :lol: Wait didn't you say you have one ? :lol: Speaking of the 68 Charger I would like one of those for my collection .What's the story on yours?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically I had to get rid of the Charger because it wouldn't fit in my garage and I couldn't find one big enough to store it, I live in England remember so the Charger is just about the biggest thing on the road over here, to put it bluntly also I just think the Mustang is a better car, the Mopar parts were damn expensive too compared to Ford

I'm stalling at the moment on the Bullitt as i'm still trying to negotiate a decent price with the seller, he's in no rush to sell though so i'll see what happens, it's an original Highland Green car apparently although it has been repainted a Dark British Racing Green which is almost identical, 2 owners from new so it looks like it's a good place to start, I will definitely look into doing all the chrome black or green like it is in the film, plus paint the Torq Thrust D's as the ones available now are too light, any idea what color they should be?

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
MustangJustin said:
Basically I had to get rid of the Charger because it wouldn't fit in my garage and I couldn't find one big enough to store it, I live in England remember so the Charger is just about the biggest thing on the road over here, to put it bluntly also I just think the Mustang is a better car, the Mopar parts were damn expensive too compared to Ford

I'm stalling at the moment on the Bullitt as i'm still trying to negotiate a decent price with the seller, he's in no rush to sell though so i'll see what happens, it's an original Highland Green car apparently although it has been repainted a Dark British Racing Green which is almost identical, 2 owners from new so it looks like it's a good place to start, I will definitely look into doing all the chrome black or green like it is in the film, plus paint the Torq Thrust D's as the ones available now are too light, any idea what color they should be?
If I recall correctly the the Torq Thrusts were flat black. I see them now all variations of black finish. But my recollection of the new wheels of the time (65-70) they were flat black finish, and an almost grey rim. Then again, the clear laquer protective finish's were not in use, so everything oxidized and dulled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts