Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ooooooh baby. While the car doesn't have the cool factor that our Bullitts do, it does rip. The car I rode in had exhaust. blowoff valve, and really sticky tires. This thing hauls ass (w/ a little revving at first), stops on a dime, and corners like crazy. I've heard that w/ little $ you can get big horsepower gains in this car. The guy I rode with was on the verge of putting in a larger intercooler and turbo. I can't wait to feel what it's like after that! If any of you guys need another car, definitely check out the WRX.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
In the PreBullitt days, I had a Subaru RS... the old style (ugly w/o a turbo).

I testdrove the WRX wagon and came a breath (literally) from saying 'yes' to the terms. Would have been a mistake, but I liked the car.

They can be made to go fast as hell, but I wouldn't want to deal with the reliability and warranty issues.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
They can be made to go fast as hell, but I wouldn't want to deal with the reliability and warranty issues.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Are the reliability / warranty issues any different than our Fords? Or, are you saying that once they are made to go fast as hell, they are approaching grenade status?

·
Registered
451 Posts
NOT trashing the car... I love it! BUT, I'm sort of holding my breath waiting to discover that it has a major design or manufacturing flaw in some part of the suspension or the AWD system.
I'm a sometime lurker/poster at VW vortex too. There has been a disproportionate (for how long they've been out) number of stories and pictures there about rolled WRX's. My g/f and I have seen only 2 WRX's getting into it on twisty roads. BOTH of them weren't really "ripping it", yet we saw both of them have moment of what I'll call "questionable control". I don't really mean this as a slam on the cars or their drivers, but there was just no reason for the sudden seeming overcorrections. Coupled with the stories/pics, I'm wondering if there will be something about this in the papers sometime down the line...

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
LOL Nasty!!!
A co-worker of mine has one and he loves it.. There's no doubting Subaru's rally experience and that's what the WRX is based on. I've Driven one, raced a couple and have seen a handful more of them on the road.. IMO they're very "cheap" looking on the inside. Almost all japanese cars are it seems, unless you get into Lexus range. The seats were FAR less comfortable than the Mustang buckets, it's a very pricey car, and then there's the general "Ugliness" that follows it everywhere. It is a decent car none-the-less but I'd never own one.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I drove one and was impressed, well REALLY IMPRESSED with its quickness and speed. Man it hauls A$$. Way cool to drive, but would not trade the Bullitt for it. Just doesn't have the COOL car look, feel, or head turning reaction that a Bullitt has.

Also drove a FBird WS6 and the same with the
WRX, the quality of both cars are lacking, IMHO.

Bullitt #2276
No Mods...Yet..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: donwil on 2001-10-29 16:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Before my Subie, I had a 1.8T Audi quattro.
From the box... 150hp, 155lbft.
Added a modchip and got 180ish hp and about 230/240lbft. I'd look for 5.0 Mustangs to shut down.

I tinkered with the reliability and blew some hoses off. The techs wanted to void my warranty about once every few months. Pain in the ass.

With the WRX, it's 220 (or so) hp from the box. It'll accept mods and make 300hp. But what do you do when you run 20psi and blow a rod thru the side of the block? Will the waranty cover that?

The Bullitt makes over 300lbft from the showroom. No warranty issues and no fretting.

Even if the damage was covered under warranty... who wants to be stranded and out of a car for a few weeks while the Parts Department screw up the order?

These days- I need as few worries as I can take.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Nasty, you said it! I have heard people say, "boy those WRX's are nice", more than once. I get this really irritated look on my face :mad: Sometimes my friends are around when this happens and they will immediately start busting out laughing, knowing my reaction before it even happens.

The first thing I think of is this ass clown

and these two goofballs
just because they would feel the same way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-10-29 16:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have seen some great 0-60 times for the WRX (5.4-5.8 sec.). However, I also read that you have to launch the thing at about 5K to get these times. How many 5K rpm launches do you think the car can stand before it grenades something? If I lived in the snow belt and could only drive one car, I would consider it. Otherwise, for the same money, I'll take that Bullitt every day.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The WRX i drove was awesome. I thought the interior was a way higher quality than the Bullitt's, IMHO. Don't get me wrong though, the WRX does not even compare to the joy I get driving the Bullitt. I would like to see a WRX with the same exhaust note as a Bullitt...RIIIGHT. :grin:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a couple of friends that each have one and they are quick little cars. I went for a ride in one of them with my friend and while it IS fast it is not as blazingly fast with the throw you back into your seat torque wrenching power as the Bullitt. I could tell right away that i wouldnt waste clutch on racing one. They ARE nasty off the line if the driver is good but as soon as the Bullitt hits 2nd gear its all over. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
112 Posts
Its is a bad car, but another one that you have to be on the look out 4 is the Honda S2000, woooooooooow

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Hey, darn nice weedeater. Can I borrow it. This is what I will use on the neighbors cats....

Just kidding. Then again who knows when they are in my flower bed....

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
Made me think of my 76 dodge colt 1.6 liter hemi...the original ricer. Couldn't be content with a little commute car. I hung MOPAR perf racing suspension (rode like a 2x4 but could out corner a porsch), tore out the engine, B&B'd, custom forged pistons dropped to 8.3/1 so that I could force feed 20psi with an aftermarket turbo, no intercooler in those days so pumped it with alcohol under boost to cool...neck snapping fast...but it had no low end torque...it was all in the high end. So, with a whole lot of throttle and slippin clutch to spool up the turbine...you could scratch in about any gear at any speed...one scary car, but always seemed to be on the verge of blowing itself up. Got rid of it and let the other kid destroy it. I'll have to digitize and post pictures.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I too thought the S2000 was an awesome car because I heard of the sub-6 second 0-60. However, it has the same problem as the WRX, it has to be launched HARD to get decent numbers. I read that if you launch an S-2000 at 1,500 rpm, it's 0-60 time drops to over 8 seconds. I'll take torque over high-end horsepower. Much more usable day-to-day.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-30 08:33, crs2879 wrote:
I'll take torque over high-end horsepower. Much more usable day-to-day.

I drove an S2000 for a while as an extended 'test drive'. From idle to 6900 rpm, it's a Civic engine. Gutless.

Then at 7000rpm, it kicks you in the rear. Like a turbo spooled up.

If I were buying a track car- the S2000 or a Boxter would be the most fun.

But- I have to drive to work.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
I work at a kia-subaru dealer and let me assure you that subaru is a nightmare to work on and get parts for.. I have driven the wrx and while it is impressive, it still feels cheap to me... and I was brought up on the ''mustang '' type feel... the wrx aint it, not even close... but that is personal preference also... the parts / service / warranty deal is allfact however..

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
On 2001-10-30 09:20, texasbullitt wrote:
I work at a kia-subaru dealer...

Which shop are you working at? Central or the 'new' Central?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts