Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kay really wanted a classic mustang of her own, she had found one 2 years ago, the 67 Fastback that I'm restoring now.
WHAT A PAIN, it's a pile of rust in the shape of a car. Every time I replace metal I end up replacing every thing behind it.
Letts see I've cut and wielded the following Both quarters, rear inner and outer wheel housings Tail light panel, passager door skin, drivers door is apart the frame is being sand blasted before I put the new skin back on. Patch repaired the the drivers door jam. Lastly I replaced the flour pan under the rear seat.
The following still needs done;
Both full floor pans, Cowel vents, Frount frame rails both fwd and rear inner fenders Radator support. and right rear frame rail.
Did I mention the trunk lid and both frount fenders need replaced.
I'm doing this all in my garage it was 96 tuesday and I just about killed my self cutting and wielding.
I'm on a $#@%#[email protected]%$#^% Quest. I'll finish this damn thing.
Tomorrow I'm removing the drive line (engine tranny) so I can get started with the frount half.
Or I'll take 1007 for a ride what do you think?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just think of the finished project, and how sweet it will be once you are finished. Plus I always look back on each restoration, and realize the best part was when I was doing the work I was to busy to worry about any problems that I might have had. Anyway enjoy your 67!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll paint it my self. This will be my 3rd car in 5 years, after finishing my daughter's 67 coupe I thought I would take a break, But this Fastback fell into our laps. When I was doing the Mach1 I had pictures Of what it was going to look like to keep me motvated. I think I need that now. I seem to work in spurts. Mostly because My real job keeps me to busy.
But I'll finish it. And It will be the best one yet. And your right I'll look back thinking wasn't that fun. Besides I got this allsome set of tools. Maybe a Big Block Mopar will be next.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris,
I think your vert actually looks worst than Kay's 67 fastback. Is your vert anything like a K code? One of my problems is that our 67 is a C code with no options except being a fastback. So I've got this mental block about it being almost a wast of my time. But I did see in the Old car pricing guide, that if, I can get it to the condition as my Mach1 "2". It will actually be worth more.
We also have talked about making it look like a 68 Fastback Dark highland green with Torque thrust "D"s. Kay is sold on the Wheels, and she is sold on the Idea of making it a Bullitt car. But to make it into a 68 I would have to do more wielding and cutting to my new quarters. Which wouldn't be hard.
Being only "c" code mustang with no options wouldn't hurt it much for what it is worth.
Kay has also told me to make it a concours driven car. I really think that is unrealistic. Because so much repop metal has been used. Plus NOS parts are just so expensive.
Lastly to further make it hard to make up my mind is the org color of the car it was Silver frost with blue interior. I really think that is wonderfull color combo.
Right now I havn't spent any money that would be lost going ether way.
So my Bullitthead friends help me make up my mind.
Choice 1. Build my 67 Fastback as a 68 and make a fake bullitt car with 390 4 spd
Choice 2. Build it org. silver frost with blue interior with wimpy 2bbl 289 c-4 auto
Kay doesn't care ether way. She just wants the damn thing done

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep! know that pain. I have a 66' Coupe and it sounds like a new car compared to what your going through. I am currently replacing the front steering and suspension with all new Mustang Plus parts...only to find out that both shock towers and left front frame extention is cracked. Now I have to replace the shock towers and do repair on the frame extention to get it out of the driveway! It all started with a simple brake change. I have read that the Shock towers can be replaced while the engine is in, but that by someone that knows how! I'll need the pull the @#$% engine.

Anyway, it still looks good even with out the front end. and I just drive around it #758.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts