Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers, and a UPR X pipe, factory cats, and I hate the way it sounds....:grumpy: Has too much of a "stock" sound and its just not LOUD enough!!

I'm thinking about going with a set of the 1 Chamber Flowmaster race mufflers. Thats actually the cheaper route.:smile:

Ive thought about BBK long tube headers, but a BUNCH of people have told me that is more trouble than it's worth and I should spend that kind of money elsewhere...

Finally, I've been looking at the Magnaflow 'MagnaPack'... Does this system replace the mufflers and everything? Basically replace the mufflers back? Right?

For those of you that were at the Nats, you may have heard Terry's (tigerhonaker) car and that thing sounds AMAZING!!!:drool2: :hyper: :clap2: :clap: He has a Magnaflow system. Since listening to the music that his car produces, Ive wanted to do something different. But his is an 08 and mine is a 01 and I know I aint gonna get that sound...:doubt:

·
Registered
38 Posts
The magnapacks just replace the muffler unless you get the hole catback system. I have slp longtubes with off road x and magnapacks out to the side and above 3 grand it's amazing but real quite down low. I switch over from spintechs because it was to load but probly one of the best sounding muffler for modular motors I would recomend you too look into there mufflers.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
If you want the MagnaPack or MagnaFlow setup, call completeexhaust.com and tell them you are a member of the forum here or that of SVT Performance. You will get either of those kits for $350 shipped to your door!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have bbk longtubes, 2 cat h pipe, and magnapack catback...sounds amazing could be a lil louder but i aint complaining. Im sure I can take the time to make a sound clip of it. LONGTUBES totally worth it IMO

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have the Flowmaster 1 chamber race mufflers and UPR X Pipe, and unless you like massive drone and rasp at certain rpms, (2200rpms sounds like someone's knocking on the floorboard), I wouldn't suggest them. They sound really good from the outside going down the road, but get extremely annoying on the highway.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
In my opinion, you just need to get an O/R H-pipe. H-pipes sound best with chambered mufflers.

I have BBK longtubes, Dr. Gas O/R X-pipe, and MagnaPack mufflers on my car. It is loud, especially when you get on it. When I go for 3 hour drives I wear earplugs.

I previously had the same setup with the MagnaFlows. It sounded great, but was quieter than stock at an idle or when farting around town. The only time it got loud was when I was really getting on it. In those instances it sounded just like Nascar. I wanted more sound so swapped out the MagnaFlows for the MagnaPacks.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
People have told me H pipes are the way to go on stangs. A couple of guys I know locally run MRT H pipes and either MRT cat backs or Bullitt mufflers with them, and they sound GREAT!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I (probably) have the same UPR catted X pipe as you do. Bought it a couple months ago, and was very disappointed with its sound.....at first. But after it got broken in a bit, it sounds 100 times better, so you might have to give it some time, assuming that it's relatively new or recent on your car.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mysterio said:
I (probably) have the same UPR catted X pipe as you do. Bought it a couple months ago, and was very disappointed with its sound.....at first. But after it got broken in a bit, it sounds 100 times better, so you might have to give it some time, assuming that it's relatively new or recent on your car.
Pretty new... Has about 60 miles on it. Maybe that's the problem.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My UPR/Flowmasters were put on within a week of each other, so I don't know if it's one or both, but the sound has changed over the past 4 months also.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
You say you have the stock cats? If that is the case, then that's probably what you don't like. You can replace the cats or remove them. The only issue with removing them is that with the x pipe and chambered mufflers you will probably get a pretty rattly sound between 2000-2500 rpm. An h pipe with the flows sounds real good. Another route you can go is the Mac prochamber. I've never heard one but many guys like them.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Like others have said, the stock H-Pipe is the problem. I had a Mac Off Road H on my car with a Mac Catback and loved it. But I had to get smogged for the first time this year, and put my stock H back on two weeks ago. Now I hate how quiet my car is compared to what it used to be.

If you decide to go with an O/R H just make sure you live in a state where it's not an issue. Out here in Cali I would get slapped with a 2k Fine if caught with the H back on my car.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey John I'm not sure what kind of sound your looking for but I cut my cats off and left the factory H-pipe on. I then replaced the factory mufflers with Flowmaster Super 44's. I honestly love the sound. It is deep and not raspy at all. In the car it is pretty much loud all the time! LOL! Outside the car I have been told by neighbors and older guys that I see at gas stations that it sounds like "the old" muscle cars. I don't have a camera to take a video or sound clip on me. I will try to get one tonight or tomorrow if you would like to hear it.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
you might have heard mine at NATS...but i have MAC LT's/ MAC O/R H, and spintech pro srteets dumped before the rear axle! i love it!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have a JBA off road H pipe with the stock Bullitt catback and like the sound below 2000 rpm's and above 2500-2600 rpm's, but in the 2000-2500 rpm range while excellerating it sounds horrible to me. I have been thinking of changing the catback. I have heard that the Magnaflow catback with an off road H pipe sounds good but never actually heard one myself. If completeexhaust.com will sell a Magnaflow catback for $350 shipped, I may try going that route. The only thing I don't like about the Magnaflow catbacks is that they don't have the rolled tips. If it sounds better I may get over the tips. Heck, I'm not behind the car when it's going down the road anyway. ;-)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have the magna pack cat back witha catted bassani x-pipe. I like it, and theres not alot of drone on the highway. If you do go with magna packs I prefer them with cats beacauce they are alittle raspy with an O/R.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sganow said:
I have a JBA off road H pipe with the stock Bullitt catback and like the sound below 2000 rpm's and above 2500-2600 rpm's, but in the 2000-2500 rpm range while excellerating it sounds horrible to me. I have been thinking of changing the catback. I have heard that the Magnaflow catback with an off road H pipe sounds good but never actually heard one myself. If completeexhaust.com will sell a Magnaflow catback for $350 shipped, I may try going that route. The only thing I don't like about the Magnaflow catbacks is that they don't have the rolled tips. If it sounds better I may get over the tips. Heck, I'm not behind the car when it's going down the road anyway. ;-)
I know EXACTLY what you mean about the rolled tips. The good news is they do have rolled tips that you can buy separately. Im still thinking about the Magnapacks. If I do go that route, I'll definitely buy those tips as well.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey John
I went with a Mac o/r H because I loved the stock sound but just wanted it louder
See my sig for clip
I guess it does pop a bit but it is no where near as raspy as a o/r X
Lately ive been thinking its not loud enough and id really like to get a Flowmaster 40's series catback system
I think any Mustang with that setup sounds better than anything
Check this vid out
some idling, revs and drive bys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6nmHQqgx_I

yes i know its not a Bullitt but the guys tryin i guess

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Tha_PiG said:
I have a set of 2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers, and a UPR X pipe, factory cats, and I hate the way it sounds....:grumpy: Has too much of a "stock" sound and its just not LOUD enough!!

I'm thinking about going with a set of the 1 Chamber Flowmaster race mufflers. Thats actually the cheaper route.:smile:

Ive thought about BBK long tube headers, but a BUNCH of people have told me that is more trouble than it's worth and I should spend that kind of money elsewhere...

Finally, I've been looking at the Magnaflow 'MagnaPack'... Does this system replace the mufflers and everything? Basically replace the mufflers back? Right?

For those of you that were at the Nats, you may have heard Terry's (tigerhonaker) car and that thing sounds AMAZING!!!:drool2: :hyper: :clap2: :clap: He has a Magnaflow system. Since listening to the music that his car produces, Ive wanted to do something different. But his is an 08 and mine is a 01 and I know I aint gonna get that sound...:doubt:

Off road H-pipe 2 chamber flowmaster and no tail pipes = loud.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have BBK ceramic long tubes, a BBK off road shorty crossover, and a Borla Stinger catback...
It's much louder than stock, but not unbearable. It also has a slight drone around 2K, but I can live with that...
My only complaint it tht if I really put my foot in it, it's so load it drowns out the whine from the K/B...
I do miss that whine, but it's still a lotta fun hearing long tubes and a Borla stinger system...

:badgrin:

David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts