Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been posted somewhere im sure, but bare with me in asking and maybe you can answer me or led me to other post that can answer for me because i dont have time to search through the forums. My question is though what kind of HP can our motors handle before i should start worrying about blowing it. I ask because im looking at a Kenne Bell kit and the shop that might install it says our blocks should be able to handle 450 easy with the right setup. I dont plan on taking it to the track every weekend, but would like to take it there a few times, is 450 a number that is still streetable and where i wont have to worry about engine trouble. Again sorry if this is a repost but im running short on time and dont have time to look it up. Thanks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
kaylan1521 said:
With a good tune 450 hp is achievable and safe. The key is the tune, do yourself a favour and spend a few extra dollars and get a proper dyno tune. Mail order tunes are generally ok but I prefer to tune it on a dyno so you know where a/f's are and curves etc. Good luck

I agree 100%. I am making 490 hp(flywheel) on pump gas and the car is very street friendly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DOC, is that on your stock motor? And ya the place im getting it done specializes in tuning and they will tune it themselves, i just want to make sure 450 is still a safe tune and not over doing it.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
We have a couple of people on here with about 600fwhp and no problems. There have also been people that have blown their engines when mostly stock. It is all in the tune.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Im up there with DOC, I have 410rwhp and 420 rwtq with 8 pounds of boost through a vortech supercharger and have seen no real problems.

·
Car Whisperer
20,886 Posts
I always heard that 400hp was about the limit on stock internals, but apparently some are able to get away with much more. The tune is no doubt part of the determining factor along with the luck of the draw on the motor you get.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
and when people say 400hp max, they mean 400 at the flywheel. it depends on the tune, and other small things like injectors and sparkplugs, as well as how good you take care of the car via oil changes, type of gas, how often you beat on it and so on.

·
Registered
656 Posts
ButtaLuns said:
DOC, is that on your stock motor? And ya the place im getting it done specializes in tuning and they will tune it themselves, i just want to make sure 450 is still a safe tune and not over doing it.
Yep! Completely stock internals. I've been road racing for 3 1/2 years with no problems at all. :toocool: Its all in the tuning.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i told the guy i wanted to be in the 450 rwhp range when its done so what i would be going with is a Kenne Bell with a 12 psi pulley, kenne bell boost a pump, 42 lb injectors, mass air, and 255lph fuel pump. The guy is tuning with a SCT Xcalibrator flash tuner and said we shouldnt have a problem getting there. What do you guys think???

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
One little question? So how often should an owner of such supercharged car,take it back to your tuner for a A/F check? How would the owner know if an injector or the fuel pump,is going soft after many years of use? I would invest in my own A/F tester and use it when planning on hard running.

·
Quest for single digits
12,030 Posts
Mus408 said:
One little question? So how often should an owner of such supercharged car,take it back to your tuner for a A/F check? How would the owner know if an injector or the fuel pump,is going soft after many years of use? I would invest in my own A/F tester and use it when planning on hard running.
Actually not a bad idea Larry, myself, since I am always tweaking my car is on the dyno about 6 times per summer. Otherwise I guess there really isn't any way to know other than SOTP if something is not right.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I was reading up on a new fuel injector testing and cleaning machine. It will do a flow volume and spray pattern test on all the injectors at once,plus also clean the injectors. Even a set of new injectors has shown to have a couple that are a bit out of spec.
Had thoughts of getting into the injector testing and cleaning business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts