Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you open the doors on your Bullitt, are the insides of the front fenders painted the same color as the outside surface of your car or are they just primer?

I just noticed that mine are just primer. Does this mean they will rust from the inside out? :???:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-12-01 14:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Miine is primer, but it's the factory sealer, so it's not pretty strong. I looked at some other mustangs and they wre the same. Looks like Ford just does not paint all the inside of the fender jam. BTW,pretty much all cars are like that on the inside of the fenders and body pannels;-)...

Hope this helps.

Bud who is one of the 4 million cable modem users that were shut down last night!

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Strange. I just went and took a closer look at mine and it's actually kind of strange the way it is done. Usually you see at least the part of the fender that is visable when the door is opened painted to match. But mine is just sealed. Same with most of the body pannel that the fender bolts onto. When you look at yours do you see paint there as well or is it sealed?

Mine has to go back for paint work, maybe I'll make them pull both fenders and spray them<G>.

Thanks for checking.

Bud

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay,
On the drivers side it appears to be primer (sealer?) from the inner edge (where the panel curls around from the door seam).

On the passengers side there is paint (DHG) that sort of dissapates from say about 2-3 inches from the door seam to the inner side of the panel and then it's primer (sealer).

Is this sealer enough to stop rust from moisture? Should I spray some under coat in there?? :???: :???: :???:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-12-02 09:06 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-02 09:05, bullitt220 wrote:
Is this sealer enough to stop rust from moisture? Should I spray some under coat in there?? :???: :???: :???:

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Considering where you live, that would be an excellent idea. :smile:

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Dang it. I was in the middle of posting when someone moved the thread;-)... As a WEB Master for HP as well as Autodesk for many years, this is the first time I have had a thread moved out from under me<G>.

Probably not a bad idea, but it also depends on what sealer Ford has used. Some of the sealers are stronger then paint. But I would bet this is just a catalized sealer that in your case probably should be coverd up. Be sure to cover up everything around so you don't have to clean up a bunch of overspray. Also clean it before you spray it. I'd use a wax and grease remove on it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys,

The funny thing is, I noticed this yesterday when I was doing my final winter prep for storage. I had just dropped some Stabil in the tank and backed her out to run for 5 minutes. When I got out, the sun hit the inside of the door jamb just right and I said "hey, that ain't right."

My garage is heated so I guess I'll make it a winter weekend project.

My '00 GT was Performance Red through and through. This just didn't look good to me.

Bud, The wax/ grease remove??? Is that something that need to be sprayed on and rinsed off?? My car has never been in the rain so it's pretty dry in there. I'm worried about putting any moisture in there, especiallly this time of year.

Also, do either you or Bob think it might be a better idea to let my Dealership know and have them spray some DHG in there in the spring???

:sad: :???: :mad: ???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-12-02 18:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-12-02 18:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-02 17:29, BudACAD wrote:
Dang it. I was in the middle of posting when someone moved the thread;-)... As a WEB Master for HP as well as Autodesk for many years, this is the first time I have had a thread moved out from under me<G>.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry about that, Bud. I moved it from Bullitthead Chat to this one because it seemed more appropriate.

bullitt220, You may ask the dealer, but don't be surprised if he tells you, tough darts!

Maybe giving him a bottle of Wild Turkey for Christmas would lay the groundwork. :smile:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob,

I ordered 220 from this particular dealer and it was the only one that they got.

I have brought the car in for a few wierd things in the past. So, this should not be so unusual a request for them.

I'll probably call them tomorrow and see what they say.

I'll Probably call Ford as well.

I just don't get why they do what they do.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
No problem, just caught me by surprise;-)...

Hey Wild Turkey, now that's an idea;-)... Maybe it will work with my dealer<G>.

Take care.

Bud

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay,

So I called the body shop manager at the dealership today and tell him about the primer/sealer inside the door jambs/fenders.

He says he's seen quite a few new Fords, not just Mustangs, with the same defficiency regarding the paint in the jambs.

I ask him what I should do and he says he didn't think it's a problem. But he also says he has painted a couple of cars that were "really" bad.

I said that I thought this was really bad because it's my car and what are you gonna do about it?

He just gets stubborn with me and I tell him that if he doesn't mind I'll ask Ford about it. He's says he's cool with that.

I call Dearborn and tell the lady there about this paint deal. She puts me on hold and calls SVT?!? She comes back on the line and says they have not heard such a complaint and I should take it to a dealer.

I tell her about my earlier conversation with the Body shop guy and she says "Oh?!? That's kinda lame."

So, she looks up the dealer and sent them an email telling them to fix it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I called the Body Shop back after that and I got his voicemail. I'll call him back tomorrow.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-12-03 22:29 ]</font>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.