Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 98 out for a drive today. Love the car but keep wondering if I should try to sell it. Problem is that I love the car and am really afraid someone will get it and mistreat it. Probably sounds crazy. I am doubtful that I could get what I think the car is really worth. Posted some pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Excuse me. But didn't you just say that you love the car? So why sell it? $? It's paid for right? So it's just insurance and some maintenance. I don't understand unless your thinking that you are tired of it.

I don't understand. Maybe you could give it to me for a year or two. And when you start to yearn for it after a day or a week you can come get it back. I promise, I won't even charge you storage. Cross my heart!

I did sell a car that I dearly enjoyed driving, owning and maintaining. I sold it because it made financial sense and I wanted something newer. DUH! Not a day goes by without me thinking about that car. It was not just a car. I doubt that yours is for you. You need a rethink. If you insist, give it to me. I promise to take care of your baby. You won't need to think about it being abused. I'll give it perpetual care...OK?

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
How much would she go for?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David: I appreciate the offer but... You are right that it is paid for and actually the insurance is with Grundy and it is very low. I have thought about some visual mods to make it stand out at car shows such as white LaMans strips and some engine bling. It does not seem to get much attention at car shows or car get togethers and I have often thought about these types of visual mods for that reason. Guess I should just try the engine bling first since the paint is nearly perfect and see what that does.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is that the car would only bring about $6500

B-Man said:
How much would she go for?
This is just a guess.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I have never understood loving a car or any object for that matter. You did not really state the reason you are thinking about selling. I have never had a car I did not like, be it daily driver or toy. I sold the Bullitt and never looked back, I did like that car very much but it went bye-bye. I also sold my street rod two days later, I lost interest in working on it and it went bye-bye. Had the rod since July, 1991 and had much fun with it. I liked it more than the Bullitt by far, and I must admit I love street rodding, but not the cars. A good friend bought the rod and I could care less what he does to the car. An old man purchased the Bullitt and I could care less what he does with or to it. When the money changes hands and the title is signed, it is no longer mine, it is just an material object that has been passed along to someone else. Not a big deal for me. This is how I feel and in no way an attempt to make anyone upset. Different strokes for different folks. I do think my sig explains my feelings.

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
I'd say keep it. I traded in a chrome yellow 98 GT on the Bullitt. Had the same rims as yours with black cloth interior, MACH stereo system and was an auto. I loved that car. If I could have kept both it and the Bullitt (like you have been able to do) I would have done it in a heartbeat.

Of course, Olivia would love to have such a clean car to drive around on nice days. And with yours being an auto it is definately a plus. And it would stay just the way it is right now.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fully understand your feelings on this.

rblack4405 said:
I have never understood loving a car or any object for that matter. You did not really state the reason you are thinking about selling. I have never had a car I did not like, be it daily driver or toy. I sold the Bullitt and never looked back, I did like that car very much but it went bye-bye. I also sold my street rod two days later, I lost interest in working on it and it went bye-bye. Had the rod since July, 1991 and had much fun with it. I liked it more than the Bullitt by far, and I must admit I love street rodding, but not the cars. A good friend bought the rod and I could care less what he does to the car. An old man purchased the Bullitt and I could care less what he does with or to it. When the money changes hands and the title is signed, it is no longer mine, it is just an material object that has been passed along to someone else. Not a big deal for me. This is how I feel and in no way an attempt to make anyone upset. Different strokes for different folks. I do think my sig explains my feelings.
Part of the issue I have going on with this car is that it is my first Mustang. I wanted one in 1964 1/2 like a lot of guys my age and because of a lot of life circumstances I was not able to get one until 1998 and this was the one. One of the issues I have going with the car is the fact that I don't have time to hardly ever drive it.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
As I realized a few weeks ago with the street rod, if I am not driving it what good is it to me? I wanted someone else to enjoy the car as I did and let it go. I am getting older every day and I need to enjoy driving my Mustang and I will drive it anytime, because I never know if it will be the last time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ever changing Garage

I too have had regrets over past cars, I really had some nice ones, But with me selling one just lead to another one and I would have never had those experances, I'm a car nut and I really doubt I'd sell my Bullitt only becase I waited soooo long to get one, My 07 is a better car but the Bullitt has a personality...odd as that may seem. Here are acouple of my past rides hope they are running great still.I do know they left my house in great shape and were replaced with same type condition cars, If I were rich and had a bigger garage I still wish some had stayed but I can hardly drive the 2 Mustangs and 2 Triumphs in the Garage now.....But its been fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
If there's nothing making you sell the car then I say keep it. Seems you love it and it holds sentimental value also. I think you implied that you really love it and would like to keep it but don't drive it very often. That's no big deal... you'll eventually get the time. If you've lost interest in the car, then that's something different. Just my 2 cents.

Steve

·
Registered
565 Posts
dennisbaker said:
Love the car but keep wondering if I should try to sell it. Problem is that I love the car and am really afraid someone will get it and mistreat it. Probably sounds crazy.
DavidMidgley said:
Excuse me. But didn't you just say that you love the car? So why sell it?
rblack4405 said:
I have never understood loving a car or any object for that matter.
I agree with rblack in that loving a car doesn't make much sense. There are much more important things than 'possessing' an object. For example, if I had financial trouble, or the attention I was paying to the car was negatively affecting my marriage, or I lacked the self-control to avoid driving recklessly, the car would be gone - simply because 'owning' a vehicle is not worth sacrificing the other much more important aspects of life.

Sometimes, getting rid something you 'love' can be a healthy exercise in discipline. Of course, that statement is based on the assumption that one sees a dependence on material things for happiness as a weakness, rather than an entitlement from 'working hard' or simply being an American......

·
Registered
771 Posts
One of my friends explained it like this:

It doesn't eat, and it doesn't cost anything to keep it.

He's got a 70 460 Powered Sportsroof, a 00 Lightning, and a 97 GT. The discussion was regarding the 97 GT.

I look at it like this. Once it's sold, 99% of the time, it's gone. You might see it again, but you'll never get the chance to "play with her". If you aren't in a bind financially, and you are happy with the car and it's storage arrangements then hold onto it. If you do sell it, you ALWAYS run the risk of getting someone that beats the snot out of it. When it comes time to sell my fiance's GT, I'll be farming for a "nice family" to send it to. Mine will be buried with me in it.

Bottom line is this:

It's your car. They are your stories. They are your memories. It's your choice.

As to modifying it... Do what you want, it's your car! :)

$6500 is a low-ball figure. That could easily bring 8-10 here. Honestly.

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
rblack4405 said:
I tend to agree with rblack4405. Every personal bit of property I own is FOR SALE (at the right price). As I get older I only have so much time to enjoy my Family, which is #1, and the things I like to do. Riding my Harley and having it moded, has been one of the things I enjoy a lot and maybe one of the things that could be affected first by age, we'll see.
Also I only have so much room, and once our daughter gets a car (spring) that will have to be ouside.
If money was no object and I had the place to keep several cars (vehicles) I may have 3 or 4 toys, but reality dictats otherwise.

dennisbaker said:
Part of the issue I have going on with this car is that it is my first Mustang. I wanted one in 1964 1/2 like a lot of guys my age and because of a lot of life circumstances I was not able to get one until 1998 and this was the one. One of the issues I have going with the car is the fact that I don't have time to hardly ever drive it.
Your car is awesome! And looks to be Stock & immaculate shape. Have you thought about some nice Chrome wheels and bigger tires to make it stand out? Those are things that can be removed if you had to and sold.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
dennisbaker said:
Took the 98 out for a drive today. Love the car but keep wondering if I should try to sell it. Problem is that I love the car and am really afraid someone will get it and mistreat it. Probably sounds crazy. I am doubtful that I could get what I think the car is really worth. Posted some pics.
Put some Bullitt wheels on it. Maybe do the suspension and brakes to Bullitt/Cobra specs. All bolt ons, right? The red brake calipers would give it some pop, but appear stock. Chrome the engine? Yeah, why not? But $6500? Worth more, way more in that condition!

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Just from the pics I would say if you entered enough MCA shows that car would be retired in a few years. That would give you something to do with your "plain" stock Mustang. ;)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really appreciate all the input about my 98GT. This is what makes this such a great site!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm very impressed with your car. I now have some inspiration for my 94 V6 that I'm working to get back in great condition. That's a very clean car!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts