Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have decided to stop getting the car wash at the local car wash due to my own personal nonsatisfaction and getting swirl marks that look like a spider led a trail of its web in circles.(not to noticable but can see it when the light hits it the right way when your up close on it.)

So what products do you use to wash polish and wax your car?
What is your procedure if you don't mind?

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
I use Zymol products (pre-wax cleaner,wax, and detail spray). Warning: The stuff is on the expensive side, but their "carbon" carnauba wax contains a higher percentage of pure carnauba, and contains no petroleum distillates like all the others.

If your swirl marks are localized and minor, Zymol's HD Cleanse may do the trick. Otherwise, I would recommend 3M swirl mark remover. I've seen 3M products at Kragen and Pep boys, but a body shop supply store would definetly have the stuff in stock.

Note: Zymol products are applied and removed by hand. No machine polishers! So there goes the afternoon. Good luck!

Mike

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I use Meguiar's pro line stuff 99% of the time. I use them with a Meguiar's G100 dual action polisher, which is the same thing as the Porter Cable 7424. Specific products used are:
#83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish (moderate imperfection removal)
#80 Speed Glaze (mild imperfection removal)
#26 Pure Yellow Wax
#7 Show Car Glaze

I plan to use some #9 Swirl Remover over the winter. It is even less abbrassive than the #80. For quick detail I use Meg's Ultimate Quick Detailer. One of the best products I have ever used.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I use mostly Meguire's products, but still have some Tropi-care wax that I am finishing up.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
5111 said:
... but still have some Tropi-care wax that I am finishing up.
Was that the stuff they had at the 05 Shootout car show? How did you like it?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Wash the car twice, then use the clay bar and wash again. (I think this is right about the clay bar but maybe someone else can elaborate on the steps involved with the clay bar. Then use Portor Cable 7424 with Meguire's #3 Machine Glaze, wax with Meguire's NXT or Duragloss polish. There are a lot of ways to get your car looking good and you will get a lot of good answers at this site. By the way, I have had good luck with the Turtle wax wash in the orange container.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I also have a G100 dual action polisher. Do yourself a favor a get one. I just got the mustang 1 week ago and last Saturday I spent a few hours polishing with #80 Speed Glaze and Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. I still have some mild spider webbing so I may have to step up to something with a higher cut or put some more passion in process. A good grit guard and a couple of 5 gallon buckets would go a long way. You can't go wrong with Meguiars products when used according to the directions. Go check out the meguairs' forums also. Lot of good knowledge there.

But here is a rundown of what I would do if detailing for the first time:

1. Wash with any Meguiars Wash, NXT HiTech Wash is good
2. Clay bar
3. Rinse
4. Polish with Speed Glaze or Swirl Remover
5. Wax with HiTech Yellow or NXT, depends on preference - HiTech yellow is deeper or richer while NXT is more glossy

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I use a Dual action Polisher called The Ultimate Detailing Machine (UDM), Menzerna 106ff nano polish with an orange or heavy cut pad. I cant say enough good stuff about menzerna nano polish, its $50 for 32.oz but its worth it. I finish with Wolfgang synthetic sealant. I have some pinnacle carnauba wax coming I'm going to put on top of the wolfgang to try to get a Super deep look. None of the products I used so far have fillers in them so I was able to remove all of the swirls and most if not all my scratches. :)

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Why do some say wash after the clay bar? I do not understand washing after removing the contaminants.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I generally don't ever wash after claying but some people suggest it. Generally I wipe the residue down with a microfiber cloth. It takes long enough to detail without washing between each step.

I have heard that Wolfgang is some great sealant. I've never tried it but I am thinking of ordering some once I make some room in the closet.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I never wash after clay bar either, after the clay bar the car should be as clean as it gets.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
fromthecoast said:
I still have some mild spider webbing so I may have to step up to something with a higher cut or put some more passion in process.
If the #80 isn't removing everything, step up to #83. After using the #83, you may notice slight marring. If so, simply use the #80 to bring out the luster. And I agree that the Meguiar's forum is a great resource. Also, if you are interested in a sealant, give #21 a try. I have heard that it is one of the best sealants out there and is great as a LSP. I'll be giving it a test run in the next few weeks hopefully.

As for washing after clay, I have never done this either.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Personally I dont think a wash after clay baring is needed because generally polishing comes next , any residue left over will be removed while polishing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GREAT INFORMATION!! THANKS I knew I would get good replies. So Keep Them Coming! Also I don't want to use any materials that need a machine (only hand applications please) but other then that I will deffinatley look into the meguiar's forum and the products ya'll put up.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Bullitt4859 said:
GREAT INFORMATION!! THANKS I knew I would get good replies. So Keep Them Coming! Also I don't want to use any materials that need a machine (only hand applications please) but other then that I will deffinatley look into the meguiar's forum and the products ya'll put up.
Not to be negative but if you want the swirls and spider webs gone your gonna need a machine to get the right results. Products applied by hand can hide them by filling them in but they will be back.:) Dual action polishers are reasonably priced($129-$200+ depending on the kit you buy) and have a HUGE learning curve. Its extremely hard to mess up your paint with them. I figure it this way, a beginner at using a "DA" might not get great results but after more practice(learning how much pressure to use and how long to work the product) your results will get better and better. Plus it takes about 15-30mins to wax your car with a DA.
-End of Preach- :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Black4592 said:
Not to be negative but if you want the swirls and spider webs gone your gonna need a machine to get the right results. Products applied by hand can hide them by filling them in but they will be back.:) Dual action polishers are reasonably priced($129-$200+ depending on the kit you buy) and have a HUGE learning curve. Its extremely hard to mess up your paint with them. I figure it this way, a beginner at using a "DA" might not get great results but after more practice(learning how much pressure to use and how long to work the product) your results will get better and better. Plus it takes about 15-30mins to wax your car with a DA.
-End of Preach- :)
Steve, I couldn't agree more. To the OP, if you do decide to give a DA a try, check out ADS (Auto Detailing Solutions) for some great package deals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts