Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it improve my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? How much does it cost and is it worth it?

I hope to get reply from people who have done it so please help me out.

Is there anything else I have to do before or after I install a new gear?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2002-02-25 02:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
509 Posts
You currently have 3.27 gears. 3.73's will improve your 0-60 times. The gears can be ordered from Ford Performance Parts (Diversifies Products Marketing) at http://www.buyfordmotorsport.com. The gear order part numberis #4209F373 and the cost is $149.00 plus $10.00 2nd day UPS. I just had mine installed 2 days ago and what a difference.

Your speedometer will be off so, if you have a chip, you will have to get it burned in again with the new mod. If you don't have a chip or don't want to get it re-done, you will have to obtain a "speedcal" gizmo from "dallasmustang.com". This device will re-calibrate speedo. It costs $100.00.

Good luck!

01 Mustang GT Bullitt #910
DHG,w/fogs,Tri-Ax,Denscharger,SuperChip, Alum D/S,MGW Stuff.
1967 Mustang GT Coupe, HP 390, 4 spd Hurst,Aculpulco Blue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: schmedlap on 2002-02-24 12:44 ]</font>

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can't you put in a different speedometer gear? Just b/c we have a Vehicle Speed Sensor rather than a speedometer cable, it doesn't mean we can't just change the gear. I put a 3.73 on a Crown Vic that had a 3.27, and I just put a different speedo gear on the VSS.

·
Registered
229 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.......Go no less than 4.10's!!! You won't regret it!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-02-24 12:50, Frank15 wrote:
Can't you put in a different speedometer gear? Just b/c we have a Vehicle Speed Sensor rather than a speedometer cable, it doesn't mean we can't just change the gear. I put a 3.73 on a Crown Vic that had a 3.27, and I just put a different speedo gear on the VSS.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Unfortunately no such cost effective fix for our cars...different system entirely. You must get a speedometer corrector for around $100 or a custom chip or (if you already have one) your custom chip reburned.

If you want to drag race get 4.10's, but for an all around daily driver that will never see the 1/4 go 3.73's...that's what I did and I'm very satisfied. It's the best all-around compromise.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I put the 3.73's in mine and i will be hitting the strip once in a while. My brother had 4.10's in his and switched them out for the 3.73 because it is a daily driver.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
i went with the 3.73 due to my car being a daily driver...

of course, for the strip, 4.10's would rock!

·
Registered
451 Posts
My understanding is that it takes at LEAST a 3.73 or 4.10 in order to be able to hit a higher top speed in 5th than 4th. Someone here (Black Sunshine?) has the info and mentioned it before, so no, I don't think you need to worry about that.

FYI, I believe a few have hit 150 stock engine stock gears. Having had mine to ~135 a couple of times, let me tell you that unless you live someplace VERY flat and VERY open, I don't think you are going to miss a little loss of top speed anyway.

If you are curious about RPMs at a given speed (which I have been because I didn't want to be crusing the highway at 3500 RPM), figure it like this:

(Current RPM at a given speed) * [(number of gear you want to get 3.73 or 4.10)/3.27] = New RPM at same speed.

Joe

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
So at an average highway RPM of 2000, with 3.73 gears, the new RPM will be 2281.35?? That makes sense...I might consider this mod. I'm not much of a 1/4 person, and the Bullitt is my daily driver. I am, however, a fan of acceleration...so changing to 3.73's will be the best compromise between daily driving and increased acceleration?? How did you go about installing them?? Does the dealership install? I don't have too much experience with mods but if it's mechanically not too difficult I could probably do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts