Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
If I took the street tires off my car and put on BFG DRs, what could I expect to run in my car? I ran 13.39 @ 106.1mph last weekend on my street tires. I left the line at idle and rolled agressively into the throttle to avoid tire spin. The 60' were 2.07-2.08. However, when I nailed 2nd gear, I would get tire spin on each run. Surprisingly, it only chirps on the street with a hard 1-2 change. My 1/8 ET was an 8.86 sec, so it appears that my 13.39 sec 1/4 ET was hurt by the slow 1/8 performance. Am I correct to believe that I may have given up .15-.2 seconds due to the tire spin in 2nd gear???

Please let me know what you all think! I am on a VERY restricted budget (laid off), but if a set of DRs will help me a lot, I may get a pair.
Thanks in advance for your feedback::smile:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm looking at an old timeslip that was done on 275/35-18 BFG DRs. It was a [email protected], 1.85 60' and a 8.26 1/8th mile time. I'd say there's probably a 12 there with that trap and some really good driving.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Well,I ran a 13.40 at 105.4 on the stock 245x45x17 tires. Then with the 275x50x15 M/T DR's went down to a 13.18 at 105.6. So it can be worth several tenths of a second! If you don't have tires already,definitely go with the sticky Mickeys!
I tried them on my 85 LX and fried the clutch first time out!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Every 1/10 off 60 ft. is worth .2 off the 1/4 mile time so you should be solid 12.85 to 12.90's. You will get you best time from MT DR's by far the best radial DR sold. With practice & MT's you should run some 1.7x's 60 ft's. Try .5 to .6 better if you can run MT DR's launch at about 5k.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
^^^ hoosier drag radials are pretty sweet too....theres an orange whippled mach 1 making over 700 to the tire that runs on 18" saleens all the way around with 335 hoosier dr's out back....he wrinkles the tire and cuts 1.5 short times, and hangs a tire up front

anyway, 60 fts are huge when it comes to ET's, get them down to 1.7's or even 1.8's and you'll def see a difference

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told that part of my higher trap speed could be a result of the tire spin I was experiencing...
Does that sound correct???
How would spinning the tires improve my trap speed later in the run? I guess I am missing what is gained by the spinning of tires.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
^^^ that is correct, generally a run when you hook well will yeild a slower trap speend than if your spinning....for instance my car trapped as high as 124 last season, but my quickest ET was on a 119

·
Registered
494 Posts
any update??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts