Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the trunk after a day of ownership and found that my Bullitt doesn't have a spare tire, but has the gt500 tire sealant kit. Why did ford opt to not include a spare? There shouldn't be a brake clearance issue since the Bullitt has the same brakes as your garden variety GT. It's not a big deal, but the salesman didn't mention this and part of it is my fault because I choose to skip the final checklist because I had already owned an 06 GT.

So, a Gt spare should fit? I might want to add this since I'll be driving the car daily.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Don't worry, Nick, Charles has provided you with all the requisite reading concerning this "Bullitt Surprise." I went through the same thing.

It is kinda neat to have that circular indentation there, though. I filled mine with water and put fish in it!

(Ever seen a fish throw up after a spirited Bullitt drive?)

:-D :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Meh. It's just extra weight you don't need.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Read the instructions on that inflation kit, it's only good for one flat. Thats it, then you need to buy another one.

I pulled mine out, put it in a box and replaced it with a spare and a jack.

·
Registered
263 Posts
HollowPointStang said:
I was looking through the trunk after a day of ownership and found that my Bullitt doesn't have a spare tire, but has the gt500 tire sealant kit. Why did ford opt to not include a spare? There shouldn't be a brake clearance issue since the Bullitt has the same brakes as your garden variety GT. It's not a big deal, but the salesman didn't mention this and part of it is my fault because I choose to skip the final checklist because I had already owned an 06 GT.

So, a Gt spare should fit? I might want to add this since I'll be driving the car daily.

Thanks in advance.
Hey HollowPointStang,

GT spare fits, I tried it. I removed it from my 05 GT and I am now carrying it in the Bullitt. My 05 is a daily driver and used almost exclusively in local area. If I get a flat tire I will get the car towed to the nearest tire shop. Inconvenient but not as inconvenient as being stranded on the highway in unfamiliar territory on my way to an event in the Bullitt.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Perhaps someone should take the time to summarize all the important points and findings and then post it as a sticky in the FAQ...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After reading all those posts that were provided, I've come to the conclusion that Ford didn't include a spare because the Bullitt comes standard with an 18" wheel where as the spare wheels are 17". The size difference can cause catastrofic damage to the rear axle if driven for any length of time.

My best bet is to buy the jack setup and find an 18 wheel/tire that will fit in the trunk.

Since I've seen pictures that prove I can fit our stock wheel/tire in the trunk, I'm gonna buy the silver 18'' bullitt and jam it in the hole. I'm not spending over $200 for our bullitt wheel.

Thanks for the info everyone.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'd say you are much more likely to get a flat in the front for one thing. Secondly, if the rear tire is flat, you can always jack up the front, put on the spare, and then transfer the good front tire to the rear. Tough any spare is better than no spare.

I hit a hellacious pothole in my Audi TT a couple years ago and destroyed a front rim. I don't want to drive anywhere on these cratered roads without a spare.

On a side note, I did find that the stock wheel and tire will fit in the well. I decided that it stuck up too far and compromised truck space too much to use as a permanent solution.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
HollowPointStang said:
After reading all those posts that were provided, I've come to the conclusion that Ford didn't include a spare because the Bullitt comes standard with an 18" wheel where as the spare wheels are 17". The size difference can cause catastrofic damage to the rear axle if driven for any length of time.

My best bet is to buy the jack setup and find an 18 wheel/tire that will fit in the trunk.

Since I've seen pictures that prove I can fit our stock wheel/tire in the trunk, I'm gonna buy the silver 18'' bullitt and jam it in the hole. I'm not spending over $200 for our bullitt wheel.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Yes, but it is the same spare that comes on a GT with the upgraded 18" wheels. It will work but if you get a flat in the rear the spare is going to have to go on the front. I have found 2 spares on another site that GT owners were selling for next to nothing - you might try that route also.

Good luck, it is a pain in the butt no doubt :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
When we bought our bullitt in April, we ordered a bullitt rim from Ford.It was pricey with the core charge, but the parts guy gave us a big discount, then we ordered a tire from tire rack. If you notice on a 2010, they went back to a spare tire, maybe they took a hint from all of us!!!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
nlustgarten said:
When we bought our bullitt in April, we ordered a bullitt rim from Ford.It was pricey with the core charge, but the parts guy gave us a big discount, then we ordered a tire from tire rack. If you notice on a 2010, they went back to a spare tire, maybe they took a hint from all of us!!!!
The 05-09 standard GT's and V-6's got them too, it was just the Bullitts, Shelbys, and GT 500's that didn't (and maybe some other SE's?) :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Can't wait to see what Ford puts in the spare tire well of the 2010s with the 19 inch wheel/suspension/3:73 rear option. I'm guessing it'll be the inflator kit. If that option is popular(and I have no reason to doubt that it won't be ) , the dealers are going to need plugs to block their ears from customer howling.

·
Registered
249 Posts
NovaSSfan said:
Can't wait to see what Ford puts in the spare tire well of the 2010s with the 19 inch wheel/suspension/3:73 rear option. I'm guessing it'll be the inflator kit. If that option is popular(and I have no reason to doubt that it won't be ) , the dealers are going to need plugs to block their ears from customer howling.
That's so true! But I wouldn't be surprised if they completely redesigned the spare tire well along with their redesign of the body. Then they could fit a proper spare in there. Then again, maybe they just decided to cut corners and leave the tire inflation kit as standard fare for 2010.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Based upon a conversion I had with a manager at ford Customer Support, I think a spare will be available as an option. I have not looked at the 2010 option list yet.

After I yelled at them about no spare in the Bullitt, the manager advised that I didn't select that option. When I pointed out there was no optional spare, he said hold on, came back a little later and said I was right that the spare option was an oversight and will be added in the future. His advice was to go to the parts department and buy one at full price. (I will not repeat my response on a public forum).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just bought a spare on eBay. Was from 06 GT and in new condition. Cost about $60 incl shipping. Perfect fit in the tire well. I now have the spare and a full-size wheel/tire spare I purchased previously.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Was the 06 you bought a 17" or 18" wheel I believe ours are 18" I guess you could drive on a 17" but would'nt the car have a slight list to one side?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts