Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have some dealers in the club.
I am very curious as to what happens to these
cars. I thought a little brown dog told me
they go to an auction first...but what
happens if they do not sell there?
Is it possible they are returned to the
factory if they never sell...or does the
price keep dropping until it is sold?

Very curious?

Ford dealership Bullittheads please reply.

Thanks,
Collin
DHG #3875
Modifications:
BULLITT chase scene recreated on rear dash
with Revell 1/25 scale 68 GT 390 Fastback and
68 Charger R/T metal body models. Unfortunately
the hub caps don't come off the Charger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PY on 2002-01-12 12:22 ]</font>

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Most dealers will dump a car on a customer real cheap (and at a loss more or less) to move a unit. They might also try a dealer trade or sell it to another dealer. If all else fails it might go to an auction but that is rare. Most are just sold at whatever it takes. I have seen two year old cars on lots before, and its not uncommon for a car to sit on an inventory lot for six months or more. My buddy just sold a mini van on a Chrysler lot that had been around since late June. The units that really tend to sit and that dealers take a hit on are ugly conversion crap. The dealer I got my Bullitt from had a conversion "University of Texas Longhorn" Mustang that they took a huge loss on. It was a white 6 banger with a stick with half the car painted orange and a big longhorn head on the hood. To make it even harder to sell the dipstick GM had a gold package put on the car...uggggllllyyyy!

Bullitt 457
50 Merc
32 Ford

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: merc50 on 2002-01-12 19:25 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
18,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
merc50, so the conversion mods are done in
house at the dealership, right? If they
don't sell well why would they do the con-
versions in the first place? That "Longhorn"
Mustang with the gold package sounds nasty!
(no offense Bob) So auction is a last resort.
Dealer trade or sell it for cheap before
that. Got it! Excellent info merc50!
Thanks alot!

BTW...I think I saw a conversion here in
Cincinnati, it was a white GT with Brickyard
400 stickers all over it. Saw it on a local
Ford dealership's lot. It is gone now but
was not that bad looking. Like to see it in
about 5 years when the stickers start to
peel off. :lol:

Teach your students well!

Collin

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Trust me, they lose money on single units all the time...its the nature of the beast. They make it up in the long run. Also keep in mind that what keeps the doors open at a dealership is not the new car sales...its used cars and service related stuff.

On the conversion issue, people who tend to buy conversion stuff most of the time are getting their heads ripped off. The kind of people who buy that stuff (and this is generalizing) come in and fall in love with some van with captains chairs and stuff all over it and pay far more than they would for a fully loaded factory car...the mark up is really high and they still kill people when the mark them down. This works until you get to something really ugly or odd and then your stuck with it. When I worked in the car biz we would get conversion pick ups and they sold fairly well, but sometimes we would get something that would really take the breath away from you and it would sit for a long time because it was so eat up with the uglies.

Imagin if you will a trucks with a ugly two tone fade in paint jobs and lots or crap all over that some people really love...that is except for the white and brownish orange poo poo color one that comes in one day...nobody wants the pig and it sits. Finally they find a guy that likes these conversions and show him this "thing fron the john" and he kinda likes it. They dump it on him real cheap and he can not pass it up even though he likes the red one...he is getting a "bargin." The dealer will take the loss just to say bye bye to it. Happens all the time.

·
Premium Member
18,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for this info! Your last illustration
really shows me how it works getting rid of
new vehicles. Also very interesting that used
cars and service keep the doors open at the
dealership, I never would have thought that.
That explains why I got the FULL length tour
of the service department. :lol:

Really great info merc50, thanks again!

·
Registered
694 Posts
The whole idea in a dealership is to get the inventory out the door so they can make a profit on the sale, up-sell you on the extras and then make money on the service work later on. They make GREAT money on the insurances, warranties, undercoat, financing referrals etc. So, if they have to sell one at a loss, they will endeavor to make it up in the other areas. The sales and finance people are well trained for that work and they do a good job at it. So if it appears the dealership is selling it at a loss, you can expect their sales pitch for the extras and other goodies.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
It's great that their sales and finance people are well trained, too bad the techs aren't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 5111 on 2002-01-15 18:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
100 Posts
Funny... The Bullits in this area sat for quite some time before the frenzy hit. I bought #0085 in September after it sat on the dealers lot next to another DHG Bullitt since it arrived in April. I didn't pay sticker for the car and still got great financing (and this was before September 11th). A friend of mine bought the other Bullitt, and the dealer was glad to have them off of his hands. Then by November it was really hard to get you hands on a Bullitt. I think this would not have happened if Ford had done a little marketing on the Bullit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts