Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Ford 500. Since it isn't selling well,they think changing the name to Taurus is going to wake everybody up???!!! I thought the Fusion replaced the Taurus. Can't wait to see the confusion at the auto parts counter 10 years from now!

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Taurus or Five Hundred?

"I'm sure the 500 is a well built vehicle - but the bland styling is what's scaring buyers away. How about introducing a high performance model and a clever advertising campaign."

Gee you think? Maybe put a hockey stick down the side, kinda like a fake air intake for the rear wheel brakes...:eek:

Call it the Galaxie 500. That doesn't have a besmerched image or market.:mad:
Pull out a two door coupe version, shortened wheelbase with a V-8 and AWD:bigguns: :bigguns: . Just some door panels, a couple panes of glass. Shouldn't cost much more than the restyle. Then race that thing!
Heck Cebbie's been doing that with the Monte Carlo :irked: for years, and it's nothing more than a glorified and renamed Lumina:p , :oops: OOPS!...Impala.

Taurus indeed!:irked: :irked: :irked: :irked:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
PhotoRick said:
I hear that the 500 is a great car. The problem is one of image and marketing.
I think that is more to the point. I remember when it came out. Bill Ford was the man on the tube showing it off. Pointing out its' safety features and in general saying it's an improved Volvo. Hmmm. And after six months they dropped the ad budget for the 500. I still say it should have a two door and AWD V-8!:smile:

A new name would help, and that maybe what they are looking for. Something to advertise besides the "old" name and the "old" safety features.:neutral:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Barf!

As a current owner of a 2005 Ford Five Hundred I must object!!! :evil:

I just keep seeing Ford doing one stupid thing after another. It makes you wonder how low they will have to go before someone with some sense turns them around.

As a side note, the car has been pretty good after its initial axle replacements. I just changed rear brakes on it at 22,000 miles and thought they should have lasted much longer than that.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'm glad that Ford, since it's on the verge of closing, has decided to spend their money wisely. I'm sure it costs millions to rename this vehicle.

How about spending that on product development.
I'm in the new car market and what has historically my favorite brand FORD, now does not make a single product I'm even considering.
My last 4 of my last 5 vehicles purchases have all been Ford's.

How pathetic. Ford used to be a good company.

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's just another incredibly BOLD MOVE by Ford.... sorry, couldn't resist..

·
Premium Member
8,776 Posts
Here is some excerpts from an internal Ford e-mail:

We've talked many times about having a sharp customer focus so we can clarify our brands for stronger emotional appeal as one the fundamental elements of our Way Forward plan. Today at the Chicago Auto Show, we are making a bold announcement that supports these efforts as we announce plans to revive the Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable nameplates and introduce a new name – Taurus X – for our three-row crossover vehicle.

The names will be used on the 2008-models of all three vehicles, which go on sale this summer and replace the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego and Ford Freestyle nameplates.

2008 Mercury Sable Press Release
Built at the Chicago Assembly Plant, these three vehicles are being significantly upgraded for 2008. They feature new exterior and interior styling, new powertrains delivering 30 percent more horsepower and more standard safety features, including electronic stability control.

Our Chicago Auto Show Press Release provides full details.

While we should expect some who question our decision, we are doing what is right for our customers. Honestly, we never should have walked away from the tremendous equity in the Taurus and Sable names.

We built nearly 7 million Tauruses in 20 years, and more than 3.5 million of them remain on the road today. We know these loyal owners will welcome us back because they've been telling us so in their letters, their e-mails and their comments at our dealerships.

Taurus is today one of the three most recognized Ford nameplates, behind only the F-Series and Mustang. Customer awareness of the Taurus name remains at a very strong 80 percent, which is twice the awareness of the Ford Five Hundred.

By giving these vehicles the names that consumers recognize at the same time we're making significant upgrades, we're confident that even more people are going to be attracted to these great products in the future. With all of the upgrades we've made, these vehicles have earned the right to be called Taurus and Sable.

I am providing more details about this announcement on my Way Forward Webcast today at 9:45 a.m. EST. If you miss the webcast, you can replay it starting at noon EST today at the same web address.

You also are invited to watch our live Chicago Auto Show press briefing, where we'll tell media about our news and reveal all three new vehicles, beginning at 11:45 a.m. EST. You likely already have seen the media speculation and buzz about bring back the Taurus name, and we think this is a good indication that we're making the right decision for our customers. Click here to add this webcast link to your calendar.

Thank you, again, for your hard work and continued support.

– Mark Fields

My take on this is that the Five Hundred should have been assigned to a performance car, not a family sedan. In addition, back when Steve Lyons was running Ford North Amercia, he pushed to have all Ford products (except SUVs) start with the letter "F" and all Mercury products start with the letter "M". The Freestyle and Freestar names were a result of this and I thought they weren't the greatest names to choose (independent of how good these vehicles were/are). The people I know that own a Freestyle rave about them. Great mileage and lots of cargo space. I think calling it a Taurus X will give it a harder edge.
You are now seeing Alan Mulally's fingerprints on where Ford is heading. He is questioning previous decisions and has the guts to reverse them if it is good for the product and saves money (less $ will be spent on the Taurus & Sable names than trying to make the Five Hundred and Montego names work). Some of the decisions that Ford will make in the next couple of years may not initially make any sense, but they are looking to change the company as quickly as possible.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
The KEY, is producing a product that the public will recognize as having at least the same level of quality and reliability as the big-name Asian brands.

The public wants exciting cars but more importantly the public wants TROUBLE-FREE cars that do not require brake service at 22,000 miles, etc, etc, etc.

I hate to admit that I bought a 2007 Toyota Rav 4 as my daily driver and to carry my photo gear to weddings. I would have been willing to pay $1000 to $2000 more for a Ford that I was certain would have the same level of quality. Maybe the new Edge will become that car. We'll see. It's a matter of survival for Ford.

The Rav has a 268 hp V6 and I weighed it at 3420 lbs. The Sport suspension is a blast on long, curving, freeway ramps. When I lay off the throttle it gets a solid 25mpg and it should be trouble free for 200,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Bullitt4003 they maybe right, I am no marketing guru and they have several on the payroll. So who knows?

I do know that my wife wanted a 500 because it wasn't a Taurus. My brother might have bought one as a 500. But he had an early series 1 Taurus, and with that Ford lost his business (read as bad news). So, next car I doubt will be a Ford Taurus.

I personnally don't care for the name, and liked the 500 moniker. I do like the car. Allot, except for the outside is too bland. Even now. So read my post above for my ideas.

I think an Edge ismore likely in my future.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Five Hundred

The wife leased one. It's a big roomy car with good mileage. It has a good ride.
I went with her when she was shopping for it. My only suggestion to her was to get the 6 speed auto. The CVT she test drove was weird. You expect it to shift and it never does. She gets this stuff in the mail from Ford. The last one showed the `08
model. They changed the front grille and it looks nice. It doesn't have to be fast,
that's why we drive Mustangs.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Taurus?????????

You can't dress up a pig..........
I was excited to hear that Ford was bringing out the 500. I went to the dealership and found out the car was underpowered and really looked like my uncle's NASH!
This car is just plain ugly........a jelly bean with wheels. A Fusion front won't fix this dog........It's a Nash!
Where have all of our design engineers gone? Are the jobs outsourced to people who drive motor scooters?

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
toyota has recalled 9 million cars in the last 3 years.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
rblack4405 said:
Recalled for what? Ford should figure out how Toyotas rate so high in published surveys like those in Consumer Reports which are the result of more than 150,000 individual resonses AND why Toyotas and Hondas have some pretty amazing resale values even with 100,000 plus miles. They just keep goin'.

·
Registered
506 Posts
rblack4405 said:
At least they recall them and fix the problem, heck I just got a notice on a loose steering dust boot on my 93'. Not really an issue but they stand behind their cars........seems the big 3 will only recall when there becomes a lawsuit and the "have" to.

I have changed more than my share of ball joints, oil lines and front hubs on S-10's with less than 50,000 miles, and everyone I look at has the same problem.....NOT 1 RECALL !!!!

And a note about the name change, I too am no fan of the Taurus

·
Administrator
6,338 Posts
Mus408 said:
The new Ford 500. Since it isn't selling well,they think changing the name to Taurus is going to wake everybody up???!!! I thought the Fusion replaced the Taurus. Can't wait to see the confusion at the auto parts counter 10 years from now!
The Taurus was replaced by 3 vehicles - 500, Fusion, and Freestyle. I believe the thinking was that there were really 3 smaller market segments in what the Taurus used to cover, especially since people have been generally taking more to crossovers.

The logic was probably sound at the time (2005 - "Year of the Car"), however, it is my opinion that the styling of the 500 and Freestyle, being generally thought of as more "bland", probably prevented this from playing out in the sales numbers.

Strangely enough, I actually like the front-end treatment of the current 500 and am less enamored with the 2008 updates. I would have spent money only on the interior and powertrain and added some feature content while keeping the price the same.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PhotoRick said:
The KEY, is producing a product that the public will recognize as having at least the same level of quality and reliability as the big-name Asian brands.

The public wants exciting cars but more importantly the public wants TROUBLE-FREE cars that do not require brake service at 22,000 miles, etc, etc, etc.

I hate to admit that I bought a 2007 Toyota Rav 4 as my daily driver and to carry my photo gear to weddings. I would have been willing to pay $1000 to $2000 more for a Ford that I was certain would have the same level of quality. Maybe the new Edge will become that car. We'll see. It's a matter of survival for Ford.

The Rav has a 268 hp V6 and I weighed it at 3420 lbs. The Sport suspension is a blast on long, curving, freeway ramps. When I lay off the throttle it gets a solid 25mpg and it should be trouble free for 200,000 miles.
See what I have been saying.....a damn little V-6 Sport Ute with more HP than our most beloved V-8 Bullitt! That thing would give a stock Bullitt a hard time....Shamefull...Just plain shamefull!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts