Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few months, my car has periodically refused to start on the first crank. It struggles, but does not start. When I try a second time, it will struggle and start only if I give it a little bit of gas. There is no set pattern as to when it occurs - it has happened in the AM, afternoon & evening, both when the car is cold, and when it had been driven within the previous 30 minutes. This seems like unusual behavior for a new, fuel injected car.

I have taken my car in to two different dealerships regarding this, but the irregular nature of the problem makes it hard for the mechanics to reproduce. According to the latest mechanic, he ran every test that he could think of, but found nothing. There are no problem codes either.

Has anyone here had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this? Could it be related to the spark plugs?

Please Help!

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Bob has addressed this issue in the past. What it could be is that the fuel pump hasn't been able to properly pressurize the system before you crank it over. The cure, it worked for me, turn the ignition "ON" but don't crank it, wait a couple seconds then crank it over. Give that a shot and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-03-11 17:17, Blakwing wrote:
Bob has addressed this issue in the past. What it could be is that the fuel pump hasn't been able to properly pressurize the system before you crank it over. The cure, it worked for me, turn the ignition "ON" but don't crank it, wait a couple seconds then crank it over. Give that a shot and see if it works for you.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I will try that & see if it works. Regardless, I am going to insist that the dealer figure this out & repair it, as I want this car to be in perfect condition, at least throughout the warrany period.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-03-11 18:38, bullitbill wrote:
Have the same problem. Ford had no idea... If you hear anything, let me know!

-Bill
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Will do. FYI, I just posted the same request here: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131338

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have had this problem as long as I have had it. Usually occurs when there are people around so as to be embarrassing :oops: . Almost always happens if I go into a store for a few minutes and come out. I will try the turning the key to on and waiting before I start.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the same problem. It doesn't do it very often, and turning the key on to let the fuel pump pressurize first doesn't help.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Ditto fulcrum1, I've had the SAME problem. It's not every time I drive her, but it is pretty frequent and usually happens when I've smack dab in the center parking spot in a convenience store! And, it doesn't matter if she's cold, warm, running hot, anything...doesn't make a difference. It usually starts on the second try, but just barely!!

:smile:
Bubbles

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. I am surprised to see that so many other cars are struggling with this problem.

Anyone else that is experiencing this problem, please continue to post what solutions you have attempted here.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Mine has started to do it again now that it is getting warmer. I forget to turn the key and wait most of the time so I don't know if that is the solution.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep...mine does that on occasion too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've also had this same problem. I wonder if it's happening to the GT's as well. I'll check some of the other mustang boards to see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
FYI guys, I have a 2002 GT, 5 spd. and have never experienced starting problems. Fires up immediately, even after a week or more sitting in the garage. She'll idle at 1100RPMs for about two minutes (when cold)and then drop down to 700RPMs even when its 20 degrees or so outside. Slight crunch from 1-2 shift until she's warmed up a bit, but then smooth as butter, and no unusual noises at anytime. Hope that I can help out occasionally for these '01 Bullitt vs. '01/02 GT comparison issues.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NV02GT on 2002-03-15 20:03 ]</font>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts