Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the deal. my friend has a 98GT completely tricked out with 99 heads, cobra crank,rods,pistons,..cai, larger TB, and funny gas..... the car runs very strong. oh yea and he changed the gear ratio in the tranny and a short throw shifter...but I digress.....my point is this... before my exaust there was no way in hell I could beat him. Now I am dead even with him on motor to motor..(no laughing gas).. so what I want to know..( along with many other lucky wiewers) is what the heck ARE IN THESE ENGINS!!!! Bueller.......Beuller................Bueller

anyone.....................

·
Registered
762 Posts
I believe that the BHP (flywheel) of our engines is 310 to 320 with torque somewhere at 350 to 355. I base that on how much power people, including myself have been making with stock and simple mods i.e. headers, x or h-pipes and CAIs/Densechargers. The additional usual GT bolt on such as the 70mm throttle body is not an option for us (yet) and MAF's and chips so far haven't been reported with dyno results. Even after comparing the strongest GT that I could find listed on Stangnet, Corral, and BON with all of the ususal bolt-ons; I could not find one that surpassed what I have made in RWHP and especially RWTQ. Yes some were equal or close but I only have 3 mods; headers h-pipe and pulleys. (I count the pulleys because a stock GT doesn't have them) I certainly don't believe my car is any stronger than other Bullitts in fact many have dyno'd with better stock numbers than mine, with fewer miles!!! Bottom line the engine is a real performer and so far we don't know its potential, but there are lots of racers who have been using this set-up for some time and all that I have spoken to say we have nothing to feel sorry for because the Bullitt is a great car. Sure some of our friends with GTs think we're a bit mad for paying the "$3500.00" premium but isn't it peculiar how so many Bullitt parts and intakes have been selling??? My two bits worth.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The 98 GT only put out 225 HP stock your Bullitt is putting out some where around 270 HP. That is a 45 HP diff, and to gain that much from a motor you have to put the type of mods on that your buddy did. If you look at the April issue of MM&FF you will find an article where they took a 99 Cobra and a 2000 GT and put the following mods on the cars: (All BBk)long tube headers with high flow H-pipes, CAI, under drive pulleys, and a larger throttle body. After those mods they both only increased 17.0 - 17.5 HP. If tuned they might get more. My point is that his heads is the only other mod and that accounts for the other 28 HP. I would say he should be slightly higher in HP but he may need to dyno tune to get it.
Not to mention how the power is put to the ground through gearing and such makes a big diff. So, you can see that Ford has put together a nice package with the Bullit.
It also goes to show you that it takes well matched mods and a good tune to really get the gains most would like to see. That is why It is almost futile to change much as far as intake and exhaust go on the Bullitt. I believe that bettering what is already there will get you close to 300 HP. Extrude hone intake, headers, CAI and a good tune just might get a Bullitt up there. IMHO

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the basic things im trying to find out is...do we have a steele crank? rods? what type of pistons? i dont want to go replacing things that we allready might have...

·
Registered
762 Posts
My guess is that the internals are the same. We would be super lucky to have forged pieces

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think the stock h pipe is the same stock pipe on the GT's. Putting a O/R pipe on will make a huge difference.

On my 2000GT I had the PRO M 87 with the MAC CAI and it made a huge difference. I will dyno it after I put it on the Bullitt. But I would think it would be even better with the Bullitt. The PRO M 87 with the Basani/X and the magnaflows, underdrive pullies, I dynoed 264 at the rear wheels on my GT. IT simply would breath so much better. I have link to dyno slip: This was the lower pull at 261: I think the PRO M 87 is key to the set up.

www.wasaac.org/images/dyno310pic/P3090028.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I do recall reading on the Corral months ago, there was a Specific Ford part # for the Bullitt crankshaft. Whether it was any different than a production GT is the question.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I noticed on my registration the wgt on our cars is 3168# . That seems light compared to what I've read on gts and considerably lighter than Cobras.If this wgt. is correct that would be helping our Good numbers too.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Let's see. Neither IRS, 80 lbs less, nor shopping cart handle, 30 - 35 lbs less, on the rear end alone.

The seats may account for some of the Bullitt's weight loss too; not much, but every lb. helps. The rear fender scoop covers seem trimmer than the GT's fake scoops - a few ounces and better aerodynamics.

Everythng adds up to the lower weight.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Adding to the weight reduction comments, a technician at Kenny Brown Performance told me that there was definitely some weight reduction but he wasn't sure where. They found out by tring their GT springs on the KB-Bullitt and noticed that the car sat higher than expected in the rear.

·
Registered
835 Posts
We probably have some aluminum engine parts where the GT has steel.

Every lb helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts