Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing a ticking noise at idle, and low rpm that started a couple of hundred miles ago. I thought I might have a lifter gummed up with the break in oil, so I changed it out with fresh 20/50 with no luck. I discovered tonight after the oil change that it is loudest coming from down behind the drivers side front tire. This is starting to make me think that it may just be an exhaust leak. Anyone else out there experienced this problem? I need help, dealer is telling me if it is a lifter I will be without it for up to two weeks!
http://www.netsnapshot.com/b?ACCOUNT=842&KEY=3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullittboy on 2001-06-15 14:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
One of the guys on the BON '01 Cobra forum had the same noise coming from the front passenger side. His turned out to be an exhaust leak. Your baby is brand spanking new. Let the dealership take care of it, it's under warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for words Dillo. I will have a guy I use for my exhaust work look at it today. I feel a little better now that it may not be an engine problem. WHOOOOOOO!
Has anyone else heard of this being the cause? I am just having a hard time coming to grips with my engine being torn apart and not having my car for a couple of weeks according to the dealer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullittboy on 2001-06-15 14:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
One more thing. The fuel injectors used are notorious for making clicking noises. Sometimes just one of them, sometimes several of them. Might want to give a good listen around the engine bay near the intake and see if you can hear that noise there....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dillo, I gave a good listen on the top of the enging, and I am not hearing it coming from any one point up top. It is most prevelent coming from underneath behind the drivers side front wheel.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Hey Dillo, is this injector clicking sound you are talking about taking place under acceleration once you start to wind out right before a shift? Mine is doing a ticking noise that seems to kick in around 2500 rpm...almost like a detonation issue (I am running 87 oct in the car). I have no idea how long its been going on because I tend to drive with the windows down and you cant hear it then...only when the windows are up (my wife likes windows up, air on).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
No, the ticking may not be very prevalent at idle, but it will increase proportionaly with the engine speed. The sound doesn't go away, but may sound like it does as the engine noises and exhaust note overcomes the injector ticking. Have not heard of the injectors starting ticking just before a gear change point, then going away until the next change point. If anything, it will sound like a ticking then a buzz as the engine revs faster and the injectors open and close faster.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I get the same thing. Has anyone brought this up to their dealers? It is really annoying? I had the same thing happening on my '01 GT

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpotsStang on 2001-07-07 22:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
49 Posts
Regarding the ticking noise, is it possible that the ticking is from behind the dashboard? I have a similar noise, but it reminds me of the noise from a worn mechanical speedometer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've heard a slight ticking noise, but I think it's from the dash as well...and it doesn't get any louder or quieter no matter how I'm driving.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I had the ticking sound, it was the heater/AC blower motor. Turn the a/c off and it went away. I thought something fell down a vent into the fan. When I went to the dealer, the service supervisor knew it was bearings in the A/C blower motor, right away without checking out the car. It was just like he already knew. I wonder if the factory puts in motors that maybe failure prone, and if it does fail the service techs already know about it.
Took about 45mins to replace

67 Fastback

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jimmy Ray on 2001-07-09 18:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the exact ticking noise you're talking about... Sounds almost like a valve-tap, but I've been convinced by a dealer that it's an injector "tick". I thought this was normal until reading all of these posts. I wonder if I should keep going with it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts