1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember what book I read this in
but it simply stated that a "muscle car" is
a car that has more horsepower than the
standard horsepower offered in a base model.
It didn't say anything about having to be
a V-8. Any inputs appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'd say...
1) Big cubic inch engine
2) Horsepower/Torque over handling
3) 4 seats (cars with 2 seats are "Sportscars")

Due to it's superior handling I refer to the Bullitt as a "modern musclecar"

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I agree on all terms except one. Two or four seats make no difference. Corvette, and my personal true car love, the AMX, ARE muscle cars.

·
Registered
501 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-27 19:15, 1NastyFordGT wrote:
IMHO, any car that can barbeque the tires at will is a muscle car. :smile:
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Does that include the Ricers, or is it just the American cars?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
On 2002-01-27 19:58, bullitt0399 wrote:
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-27 19:15, 1NastyFordGT wrote:
IMHO, any car that can barbeque the tires at will is a muscle car. :smile:

What about a Chevy Corsica with a 5.7L V8 and is RWD. Have you seen one of those? Not bad for an '01 Chevy.

Does that include the Ricers, or is it just the American cars?

MODS
100mm densecharger
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
FRPP 3.73 gears
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
MGW Bullitt oil cap

debating on Pro 5.0 or steeda tri-ax

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2002-01-27 21:03 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
On 2002-01-27 19:58, bullitt0399 wrote:

Does that include the Ricers, or is it just the American cars? </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen just about every brand, from every country have their performance cars called muscle. I assume it means any car with some Wheaties under the hood.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
On 2002-01-27 21:03, Black Sunshine #161 wrote:
(oh,and a girl with big tata's)...beer...

:-B :-B :-B :-B :-B :-B :-B :-B :-B :-B :-B :-B

·
Premium Member
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those things can pop an eyeball out...BOTH
of mine got popped out! :lol:

Thanks Nasty!

I can barbeque the tires on my STOCK '91
Miata...so that means? :lol:
DHG #3875
Modifications:

BULLITT chase scene recreated on rear dash
with Revell 1/25 scale 68 GT 390 Fastback and
68 Charger R/T metal body models. "Steve McQ"
and "Assassins" action figures complete the
scene.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PY on 2002-01-27 23:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here is a definition that I found. According to the site I found it on, the Corvette is NOT a muscle car. It is considered a Sports Car.

"A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular"
production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on."

It makes no differentiation between two or four doors or two or four seats. By the above definition, a V8 '96 Impala would not be a Muscle Car. But a '96 Impala SS would be.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crs2879 on 2002-01-28 09:51 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crs2879, good info!

Thanks for the posts Bullittheads!

I am going to research this a little more
at the library. I'll let you know what I
find on the definition.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
I always thought that Muscle Cars were only made during the Muscle Car Era...
1967 thru 1973

Of course, those happen to be my absolute most favorite Mustang years...so I'm probably biased.

:smile:

·
Registered
309 Posts
The definition I had heard on "The American Muscle Car" on Speedvision was any V-8, RWD car that could do the 1/4 mile in under 15 seconds. So in stock form, the '96 Impala SS was BARELY a muscle car... :grin:

I kind of like this definition b/c it weeds out the grocery getters and wanna-be muscle cars, like the '80 Monte Carlo SS's... they were great cars (I had an '87), but even though they were "performance" versions of the base Monte Carlo (this was the definition given earlier), they could only do the 1/4 mile in 16.7 seconds. Not exactly something I'd be afraid of on the street :wink: :grin:

So I agree with the earlier definition with the sub 15 second addendum. :nerd:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
any car with dual exhaust, with a big engine, that has a deep rumble, and go very very fast and can smoke those rubber things called tires at any given time...

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
There is some disagreement on exactly when it started. Credit has been given to Pontiac,for when the 1964 GTO came about. It was the first time when a manufacture took a big car V8, and put it an intermediate,the Tempest/Lemans. They took the 389 from the Catalina/GP and swapped it in. However,before that all your fast stockers and super stockers,were based on lighter versions of full size cars like the 421 Catalina,409 Impala,406 Ford.Also in the late 60s,the musclecars were subdivided into groups,such as Supercars,Jr.Supercars and Pony cars.

·
Premium Member
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Mus408, that is great information.
There have got to be books out there that
deal with the history of the American muscle
car. New project for me...locate one of
these books! COOOL!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts