Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone;

First, let me clarify that I am looking for responses from ONLY those people that have actually run the C&L 80mm MAF. If you haven't tried it, I'll disregard your response.

I'm interested in the following areas of your experience:
1) Overall Street Driveability
2) Power gains as measured before install/after install on a Chassis Dyno. (The same dyno as the before testing.)
3) Would you apply this mod to your car if you had it to do over again?
4) Are you running the BLACK sample tube or the ORANGE sample tube?
5) What mods were on your car at the time of the before and after testing?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
543 Posts
680, compare your mods with the mods in my signature. These are my dyno results on a bad weather day:

SAE Horsepower:

Max Power = 243.0 (4900 RPM)

Max Torque = 287.5 (4100 RPM)

Absolute Barometric pressure 28.88 in.Hg.

Vapor pressure .079 in.Hg.

Intake air temperature 62.6 Degrees F

I question what the C&L MAF is really doing for you. Thanks for reading this far.

BTW, on our Georgia Bullitt Club dyno day there was another Bullitthead who had similiar mods to my mods and a C&L. I will not disclose his numbers but I will say he is returning his C&L and putting the stock MAF back on based on the advise of a very sharp Tech from Marietta Team Ford.

The tech said you basically get what you pay for when you buy a MAF. If you don't pay much you don't get much. The tech said the stock MAF flows extremely well for the amount HP these cars put out. If you saw this guys ride you would know he knows what he is talking about.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our horsepower numbers are essentially equal...mine being 242.5 @ 4700 RPM but my torque was a little bit higher; 293.7 @ 4000 RPM (my torque went above 287.1 @ 3600 RPM and was still 287.1 @ 4100 RPM). My day was perhaps a bit better: Barometric pressure of 29.45 in.Hg., Vapor pressure of 0.051 in.Hg., Intake air temperature of 46.1 degrees F "In an un heated shop that had the dyno at essentially the same temperature (cold bearings in the dyno), Correction Factor was 0.96 SAE.

I'm really pleased with the torque number but my Bullitt was strong on torque from the git-go (278.6 lb-ft Factory Stock). My factory stock hp was 234.9 on an 80 degree F day.

The only other MAF that I've considered trying is the Univer from Pro-M. I like the idea of the peripheral sampling of the air flow.

Oh; you might take note that I am not running a chip as of yet. I do have one coming from JMS so that might help me make up the half a horsepower difference in our setups.

DHG BULLITT #680
Mods:
C&L 80mm MAF
Magnaflow X-Pipe w/CATS
Magnaflow Performance CatBack(Magnaflows)
Steeda Under-drive Pulleys
FRPP Aluminum Drive Shaft
Steeda Tri-Ax with FatKnob
242.5 RWHP & 293.7 RWT

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT680 on 2002-01-17 22:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT680 on 2002-01-17 22:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
269 Posts
The C&L 80mm MAF with black calibration tube gave me about 6rwhp/6rwtq over stock. The mixture was leaned out by approximately 4% over the entire RPM range.

Hope this helps.

Mark Chiappetta

·
Registered
543 Posts

Ayric, the Marietta Team Ford tech, basically said that if you must change your MAF then spend the extra bucks to get a Pro M. Otherwise stick with stock. He said the stock MAF has been much improved and will flow more than adequately in our engines for up to 300HP. Ask any of the Georgia Bullitt Club members about this guy. Very smart guy and has a resume to back it up.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the stock MAF will only support 300 Horsepower (doesn't really matter if that was FWHP or RWHP); then I'll definitely go with the C&L as eventually I plan to be beyond 300 RWHP.

I've run Pro-M units in the past on my previous '89 5.0 LX that had a Tommie Vaughn Motors GT40 Stage III Plus and the Pro-M was okay. I think either one is a good mod if you intend to go beyond exhaust and gears. For example; if further mods include Extrude Honed intake and Ported Heads with a little more camming; then I think the MAF change is definitely going to help a bunch.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Bullitt680,

Did you buy your car at Crow Moddie Ford? If you did they told me of one other sale (Bullitt) they made to a guy that works at Wolf Creek. Is this you?

I bought mine from them back in late Oct. and have enjoyed it very much so far.

BTW I work for WRI in Topeka, Electric Transmission Line Engineering Dept.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BLT5103 on 2002-01-19 19:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BLT5103...

Yep; that be me! Brian gave me your e-mail address and your sign-on for this forum but I misplaced the paper on which I wrote them down. Send me a PM an we'll get the e-addresses swapped and exchange a few tales.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts