Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The "what would Steve McQueen think" thread got me to thinking about which Mustangs I like the best. Not referring to individual or limited edition models but focusing on generations is how I am building this dicussion. I've grown up around musclecars and Stangs and I haven't seen too many that I don't like, but here is how I would rank them:

1) 1967-1968: IMHO the pinnacle of Mustang design and the car that launched the Bullitt craze. This series took the 64-66 design and turned our pony from a glorious Falcon into a muscular stallion. Big blocks were available and the Mustang tranformed from pony car to muscle car. Every line seems to be thought out with impeccable taste. This is one case where the sequel outdid the original. Of course, I am biased having grown up around my Dad's original 1968 GT with a factory 428 Cobra Jet.

2) 1964-1966: The classic that started it all defined what it means to be a Mustang. It added class to a Falcon chassis and rocked the automotive world in a way that it has yet to recover. This generation saw the advent of the 2+2 fastback and the Shelby GT350. I still take a double take when I see one and if I ever had to do a frame off restoration again, it would be on a fastback example of one of these.

3) 1999-2004: I'm admittedly biased on this one, but hear me out. Ford called this design the "Leading Edge" but I think it does so much more than add angles to the attrocious 1994-1998 styling. It makes a classy nod to Mustangs of the past with side coves/scoops, pony coral in the grille, 3 bar taillights and the double arch interior. All the while, it is slung low and wide with fender flares that hint of muscle and muscular rear quarters. From the rear, there is no mistaking it's Mustang heritage (with hints of the 60's and the 82GT). and it is all business. It is a modern interpretation of a classic and IMHO a design that will stand the test of time.

4) 2005-Present: Many will put this at the top of their list and certainly for good reason. It's retro design combined with modern technology allows you to have a modern supercar with 60's muscle car looks. Although the design is well executed I have some minor complaints. First off, it seems too large to me for a Mustang. Here is a car that is actually longer than the long snouted 71-73 series and heavier. The sides of the car seem too tall and the rear of the car seems to thick for my tastes. It needs more shaping on the rear deck/valence. In terms of performance and comfort, this series has no equal.

5) 1969: Although it was premature to leave the 67-68 design behind. Ford did an excellent job retaining the characteristics that made it a Mustang and adding some new styling cues. I love the high mounted scoops on the rear quarters. Make mine a fastback in black.

6) 1970: I had to separate out this model from the 69 for a couple of reasons. First, the headlights movement toward the center of the grill gives the car a cross-eyed look. Second, the deleting of the quarter scoops, to me, takes away some of the racing edge of the 1969. However, this model did represent the last gasp before the 70's (which were unkind to domestic car design in general) and one of the last Mustangs to look like a Mustang for a while.

7) 1971-1973: I have a love/hate relationship with this series. The snout looks incredibly long and the rear looks chopped off to a degree which was only topped by Caddillac in 1979. However, the model does find some redemption in fastback form particularly in Mach1 guise.

8 ) 1985-1986: I hesitate to lump these two Fox bodies together because they are the demarcation line for the Mustang between carburation and fuel injection. However, they are styling twins and perform similarly. I'm a big fan of the interior on this series and think something was lost in the later Fox years. This model set the tone for others concern when the 5.0 badge was present.

9) 1987-1993: Let me say that this is the Mustang IMHO that looks least like a Mustang. However, it did succeed in keeping the Mustang spirit alive. The GT's IMHO were attrocious looking with their louvred taillights and stick on ground effects & spoiler. The 5.0 LX notchback was my favorite (I owned one and have great memories) and seemed to have the best balance of handling and weight. The jet turbine wheels of the early GT's were attrocious ... at best.

10) 1979-1982: This was the beginning of the Fox body and what would evolve into the 5.0 craze. It was refreshing after the Mustang II debacle, but it seemed dated very quickly. I will say that an 82 GT is one of the best looking Stangs from the front.

11) 1983-1984: This transitional Fox design did little for me except bridge the gap from the 82 to 85 design.

12) 1994-1998: It still amazes me that our Bullitt's could evolve from this design travesty. Fords first attempt at putting retro cues back in the Stang was laudable ... but something was lost in translation. This Stang looks like a geo storm dressed up as a Mustang to me. The rear end is particularly forgettable.

13) 1974-1978: Sorry Mustang II fans. This design was just a tragic byproduct of the times.

·
Registered
889 Posts
betcha' can't just pick one!

Love the looks of '66-'68 fastback. (the student parking lot was full of them back in high school.)
Love the 429 in the '69

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
For me, the `65-66 Shelby GT 350 is my favorite Mustang followed by the 67-68 fastbacks and then the `05-present coupes.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
Imho

I would do a different ranking. As follows, if for only different reasons.

1) 64-66. It's the original, without it none of them would exist. Including the Camaros, Firebirds, AMX, et al.

2) 67-68. They got most of the originals failings corrected.

3) 69-70. Truly aggressive, nothing docile looking.

4) 82-86. Trim, lean even styling. Nothing too much, plenty of power under their hoods for the time.

5) 99-04. OK. Here's Bullitt!

6) 74-78 and 94-98. I liked them when they were new, and still do!

7) Newbie Stang! The Jury is still out on this one. Probably the best design for occupants of this beauty. Wheelbase looks a bit long, but not bad!

8) 71-73. Too much body, not enough interior for its' size.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
65-66 Gt Fastback w/289 hipo - My first car - loved it & raced it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Length

The 2005 GT is actually shorter than the 1971 - 1973 by 2 inches not longer, 1971 - 1973 is about 189 inches in length where as the 2005 GT is about 187 inches in length

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
MustangJustin said:
The 2005 GT is actually shorter than the 1971 - 1973 by 2 inches not longer, 1971 - 1973 is about 189 inches in length where as the 2005 GT is about 187 inches in length
73 was even longer, it had the three mile per hour impact rubber ducky bumper...:badgrin:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
1. 64-66 - I love these cars, small to the point, look good, etc. I don't particuarlly like the 67-68

2. 69 Machs!

3. 94-98 - In general I think it looks much better in general than 99+. I do love our cars, the Machs, and the Cobras. However, GTs and sixers are hotter in the previous gen.

4. Foxes from 87+

5. 85/6 foxes

then the bottom ones are
71-73
74-78

·
Registered
656 Posts
Any 1969. Love the dual headlights. The 69's just looked mean!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I take issue with not making 94-98 one of the time frames to constitute a group, expecially since the 94-98 styling is considered by some, if not many, to be the design that saved the Mustang from extinction. I actually worked really hard to get a new 98 deep into the 99 year because i did not like the 99 styling and sometimes I still don't like the 99-2004 body style except from certain angles. The only 99-2004 that I really care for is the Bullitt. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
Dude!!!

Way too much info!

For me it's easier to pick my LEAST favorite!

Those would be the 1971-74 & Mustang II, not to say I haven't seen some that I DO like.

Professor Bullitt said:
The "what would Steve McQueen think" thread got me to thinking about which Mustangs I like the best. Not referring to individual or limited edition models but focusing on generations is how I am building this dicussion. I've grown up around musclecars and Stangs and I haven't seen too many that I don't like, but here is how I would rank them:

1) 1967-1968: IMHO the pinnacle of Mustang design and the car that launched the Bullitt craze. This series took the 64-66 design and turned our pony from a glorious Falcon into a muscular stallion. Big blocks were available and the Mustang tranformed from pony car to muscle car. Every line seems to be thought out with impeccable taste. This is one case where the sequel outdid the original. Of course, I am biased having grown up around my Dad's original 1968 GT with a factory 428 Cobra Jet.

2) 1964-1966: The classic that started it all defined what it means to be a Mustang. It added class to a Falcon chassis and rocked the automotive world in a way that it has yet to recover. This generation saw the advent of the 2+2 fastback and the Shelby GT350. I still take a double take when I see one and if I ever had to do a frame off restoration again, it would be on a fastback example of one of these.

3) 1999-2004: I'm admittedly biased on this one, but hear me out. Ford called this design the "Leading Edge" but I think it does so much more than add angles to the attrocious 1994-1998 styling. It makes a classy nod to Mustangs of the past with side coves/scoops, pony coral in the grille, 3 bar taillights and the double arch interior. All the while, it is slung low and wide with fender flares that hint of muscle and muscular rear quarters. From the rear, there is no mistaking it's Mustang heritage (with hints of the 60's and the 82GT). and it is all business. It is a modern interpretation of a classic and IMHO a design that will stand the test of time.

4) 2005-Present: Many will put this at the top of their list and certainly for good reason. It's retro design combined with modern technology allows you to have a modern supercar with 60's muscle car looks. Although the design is well executed I have some minor complaints. First off, it seems too large to me for a Mustang. Here is a car that is actually longer than the long snouted 71-73 series and heavier. The sides of the car seem too tall and the rear of the car seems to thick for my tastes. It needs more shaping on the rear deck/valence. In terms of performance and comfort, this series has no equal.

5) 1969: Although it was premature to leave the 67-68 design behind. Ford did an excellent job retaining the characteristics that made it a Mustang and adding some new styling cues. I love the high mounted scoops on the rear quarters. Make mine a fastback in black.

6) 1970: I had to separate out this model from the 69 for a couple of reasons. First, the headlights movement toward the center of the grill gives the car a cross-eyed look. Second, the deleting of the quarter scoops, to me, takes away some of the racing edge of the 1969. However, this model did represent the last gasp before the 70's (which were unkind to domestic car design in general) and one of the last Mustangs to look like a Mustang for a while.

7) 1971-1973: I have a love/hate relationship with this series. The snout looks incredibly long and the rear looks chopped off to a degree which was only topped by Caddillac in 1979. However, the model does find some redemption in fastback form particularly in Mach1 guise.

8 ) 1985-1986: I hesitate to lump these two Fox bodies together because they are the demarcation line for the Mustang between carburation and fuel injection. However, they are styling twins and perform similarly. I'm a big fan of the interior on this series and think something was lost in the later Fox years. This model set the tone for others concern when the 5.0 badge was present.

9) 1987-1993: Let me say that this is the Mustang IMHO that looks least like a Mustang. However, it did succeed in keeping the Mustang spirit alive. The GT's IMHO were attrocious looking with their louvred taillights and stick on ground effects & spoiler. The 5.0 LX notchback was my favorite (I owned one and have great memories) and seemed to have the best balance of handling and weight. The jet turbine wheels of the early GT's were attrocious ... at best.

10) 1979-1982: This was the beginning of the Fox body and what would evolve into the 5.0 craze. It was refreshing after the Mustang II debacle, but it seemed dated very quickly. I will say that an 82 GT is one of the best looking Stangs from the front.

11) 1983-1984: This transitional Fox design did little for me except bridge the gap from the 82 to 85 design.

12) 1994-1998: It still amazes me that our Bullitt's could evolve from this design travesty. Fords first attempt at putting retro cues back in the Stang was laudable ... but something was lost in translation. This Stang looks like a geo storm dressed up as a Mustang to me. The rear end is particularly forgettable.

13) 1974-1978: Sorry Mustang II fans. This design was just a tragic byproduct of the times.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I like 87-93's I had a GT but I wanted\still want a notch or a lx vert. I'll get a nice one someday.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's purely subjective, but it surprises me how many people liked the 94-98 series and surprises me even more that they like them better than the 99-04. I look at them side by side and see no competition. But then again ... it's just an opinion.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've owned a couple of Fox bodied LX's and love the clean muscular look of those cars. The '93 Cobra is a work of art. The SVO (with a turbo'd 2.3L I believe) seems anti-Mustang in that its not a muscle car, but there is just something cool about the fact that Ford decided to build a Stang thats nothing like the others.

There has always seemed to be a dichotomy among Mustangs - you've got the base-model "econo" stangs, and then you've got the true Muscle Car mustangs. My first car was an '90 LX with 88 hp - 88 hp!!! Huge difference from the GT's, Cobra's, Saleen's, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2 Cents . . .

In order of preference:

'67 - '68 Fastback
'65 - '66 2+2/Fastback
'69 - '70 Sportsroof (Boss 302/429 or Mach 1)
'99 - '04 GT Coupe (I currently own a Bullitt and an '03 GT Coupe)
'87 - '93 LX 5.0 Hatchback (I don't like the '87 - '93 GT 5.0)
'93 SVT Cobra 5.0
'87 - '93 LX 5.0 Notchback (I owned a '93 LX 5.0 Hatchback -- it was my first Mustang)
'85 - '86 GT 5.0 Hatchback
'94 - '98 GT/Cobra Coupe (I owned a '95 GT 5.0 Coupe)
'71 - '73 Sportsroof (Mach 1 or Boss 351)
'84 - '86 SVO

I am not a convertible fan, nor do I like the '79 - '84 years or the Mustang II.

Of course, this is just one guy's opinion.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Professor Bullitt said:
It's purely subjective, but it surprises me how many people liked the 94-98 series and surprises me even more that they like them better than the 99-04. I look at them side by side and see no competition. But then again ... it's just an opinion.

[IMG']http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/beachdoc/95VS01.gif[/IMG]
well you did just put a hot 01 Bullitt against an average GT with one of the ugliest wheels and a color that isn't that desirable. Then went and posted a spoilered Bullitt :( lol

the 94-98 on average looks better than a 99 counterpart
the rounded lines reflects light nicely, the body (at least to me) seems to fit better overall. Panel gaps are better and it just looks more pleasing to the eye.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm a little bit biased but here's how it is for me:

1) 1974-1978 Mustang II. I know everyone gives em crap for not being so fast, but what was fast in the mid/late 70s? They are tons of fun to drive and if you have one with a 302, just do it up like you would a carb'd earlier or carb'd fox and you've got a rocket on your hands :)

2) 1971-1973 In addition to liking the littlest of all mustangs, I have a thing for their extremely large predecesors. Something about them just screams sleek to me. It doesnt hurt that he Boss 351 is my all time favorite Special Edition mustang ;)

3)2005+ I havent had a chance to drive one of these puppies just yet, but the fact that they are a very modern, wonderfully balanced machine, added with the stylistic elements that can be lent to any of the first and second gen cars if done up right just make this one of the greatest of all time.

4) 1999-2004 Sure we see em everywhere. But come on, would any of us be on this board without this gen? they aren't perfect from the facotry, but I beleive thay have a huge potential, hence my purchase of one :)

After those four it pretty much becomes a toss up for me. Nothing against the other gens, I just like these ones most :)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Black4592 said:
still want a notch
Me too! A `92 or `93 ( with the bigger fender well liners) and 17's, I saw a White
one with Bullitt style rims at the Indy Mustang & Ford show last summer and it was ****...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Man, this is pretty hard. I'd say probably my favorite of all time is the 87-93 foxes. Then, 99-04, then 67-68 FBs, 69-70 FBs, and all others fall into place afterwards.:D

·
Registered
253 Posts
'68 All the way!

For me, it's a no-brainer.

A '68 convertible is the coolest Mustang of all. I love the '67 '68 body style 1) convertible 2) coupe 3) fastback. I'd rather have a '69 SportsRoof over a '68 Fastback, though.

Like someone said, in '67 & '68, they got the Mustang right. 65 was a great start, but needed work.

For the "sentimental" reasons previously stated, the original Mustang stays near the top of the list. I would put the Mustang II next on the list. I bet that with decent mods, a 302 powered coupe would be a hoot.

'99-'04 are OK, but none look as good as the Bullitt, which stands on its own.

I don't care about the rest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts