Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellow Bullitt Heads,

The Stereo in 227 is not a happy camper these days. The volume control is going out and the CDs are almost always stuck. Yesterday on the way home from San Francisco (Had to drop my son off at his apartment in the City) my Journey CDs stuck. This is the first time I have not been able to fix them ;-(. So I'll pull the deck tomorrow and try to pull the CDs out that way. But I think it's time for a new deck. I am looking at a double din, but wanted to see what others had replaced these with. Also if you have pics please post them as well.

Last but not least, did you keep your speakers and sub woofers? Or did you replace everything.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and pics.

Bud and 227

:question:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
BudACAD said:
Hi Fellow Bullitt Heads,

The Stereo in 227 is not a happy camper these days. The volume control is going out and the CDs are almost always stuck. Yesterday on the way home from San Francisco (Had to drop my son off at his apartment in the City) my Journey CDs stuck. This is the first time I have not been able to fix them ;-(. So I'll pull the deck tomorrow and try to pull the CDs out that way. But I think it's time for a new deck. I am looking at a double din, but wanted to see what others had replaced these with. Also if you have pics please post them as well.

Last but not least, did you keep your speakers and sub woofers? Or did you replace everything.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and pics.

Bud and 227

:question:
alot of the newer fords have the same radio as us... 6 disk and all. i got a extra radio in my room as a back up... i got it from a 04 cobra for $80. every once and a while mine says error and the cd will get stuck. 110k of use one mine tho so its expected. i think the stock stuff sounds pretty good.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,101 Posts
Bud....

I had the same prob that u did so i replaced every thing....head unit....all the speakers....amps....i did this cause the ford stuff runs on some crazy amp....like 4...which is not compatable to any after market stuff...hope this helps :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Stereo replacement

Bud, First off, you can replace just the radio in your B, but you will never be able to hear how it really should sound. The way for crossed over the sounds between the tweeters and amps/woofers, the factory radio is really the best bet.

For me, 2445 has all aftermarket. I started with a Pioneer AVH-P6800DVD 6 disc DVD changer w/7 inch touch screen. I did this for the 24 bit D/A it has for CD listening. Plus it makes my lunch hour fly by. I have added to it an Xm tuner, iPod hookup, Bluetooth adaptor for my phone, and an aux jack for the laptop where the fog light switch would be. From there the signal goes to a Pheonix Gold XS4600 amp (4x150) to power a set of JL Audio ZR650 componant speakers in the doors and a JL Audio 10w1 subwoofer in the trunk. The amp is mounted where the factory sub box was, and the new woofer is in a small removable box that sits close to the back seat. If I need more trunk space, I just remove the box. The system is plenty loud enough to overcome the Flowmasters, but I find sometimes the sweetest sound comes from rolling the windows down and just romping.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,101 Posts
Bud

Mark has a nice stereo system.

i finally did some digging to find out what my Son an i installed in my B....this may not be for everyone but i like it....here are the components...

Alpine head unit CDA9855 mp3 w/sat radio an ipod

Amps DR Audio 300/2 ( 150 watts x 2)
Dr Audio 1200d (1200 watts..but using only 400)

Note....the amps are installed on the back of the rear seats

Wiring 4 gauge from battery to a fused distribution block...8 guage to speakers

Speakers Eclipse....Sc8264... 6"x 4 with tweaters and cross overs....sub woofer 12" boxed

Sound deadened the doors with Dyna-Max.

It took us all day to install this system....an.....several cold ones :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
Kenwood 7in touch screen NAV. Controling 4 tv's, back up camera and Ipod. Sound coming out of 2 JL Amps, and 8 speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
dg517 said:
Bud....

I had the same prob that u did so i replaced every thing....head unit....all the speakers....amps....i did this cause the ford stuff runs on some crazy amp....like 4...which is not compatable to any after market stuff...hope this helps :D
couldn't be more wrong there :)

There are several of us on here that have aftermarket decks and the factory Ford amps and speakers.
All it takes is a very typical installation kit from Metra, and you can use virtually ANY headunit out there as long as it has preamp outputs for the lows, and can power the high speakers (or you could branch off and do another amp). There are only 2 amps on our 01 Bullitt's. One amp powers the "sub" in the rear window deck, and the one in the lower door. The other amp does the other side. There could be four amps, but I think it's just two...regardless, the amps only do the "subs".

Replacing the stock headunit with a good aftermarket REALLY makes the factory speakers sound excellent. You can now set crossover settings and block highs/lows accordingly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,101 Posts
Hey....ezek....to each hin own....no prob here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I installed a Clarion Max675VD to replace the Shaker 500. I kept the stock speakers and amps for now. I've also added an additional 10" JBL speakers, being pushed by a Kicker amp. I am looking to upgrade the stocks once I have the funds available. But overall, it sounds great. Oh yah, to make my videos work, I installed a bypass switch for the parking brake switch.

At first I had a problem with the stock speakers and amps kept popping on me when I start the vehicle. After doing some research, the stock amp was limited to 6V. My aftermarket stereo was pushing 12V to the amps. So I installed a 5V resistor between the stereo and stock amps and solved my problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,837 Posts
agree with Ezekial and Marc here, changing the head unit opens those stock speakers and amps up to really do their thing!!

like Marc, i went with Pioneer, the 6000 series HU also, but not the DVD one... used wiring info from the 'Net and some additional tips from several folks here (thanks again to you!) to finish it up and then program the HFP and low end sub settings to max the sound, and though my plans do include fully gutting the system later on, i get about 200-300% better sound and clarity than before, from nothing but a head unti change... and i changed mine after it ate a CD and stopped working completely, so i feel your pain, my friend!!

shaun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
KDC-MP338 Head and God only knows what other stuff has been done.

Owner before me took everything out, replaced it with someting and an amp. I've been working to get everything back to close to original since I got the Bullitt.
It sounds good now that I've been working on it but it's not where I want it to be.

Oh I highly recommend a unit that takes flashcards!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
dg517 said:
Hey....ezek....to each hin own....no prob here
not saying you did a bad thing, in fact I bet your's sounds much better now over stockers :D

just saying that it IS compatible, and you were saying it wasn't at all.
just need the proper adapter :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I have an Eclipse AVN2210p, double din with the tomtom built into the face that I'm going to put in the Bullitt as soon as I get caught up and can take a day off to put it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
I can vouch for aftermarket deck and accessories while still using the factory's amps and speakers...

I have an Alpine CDA-9870 (I Think) with an Infinity Bass-Link in the trunk. It opened the factory speakers up, but at the same time, accents it's flaws. But then again, the deck is like an Formula 1 car in a go-kart race....

I can also say that aftermarket speakers replacing the factory speakers will work. My wife's 01 GT has had the swap done by the previous owner. We didn't know it until I had to dig in the door to replace the window motor.

It can be done, and you'll never look back once you've gone that route. It's like looking at the ghost flames... At first, you wanted to stay original, after you did them you can't imagine doing it any other way!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
This has turned out to be an interesting thread for me as I was thinking of changing my unit as well, so much so that while just spending Christmas in Florida I bought some bits.
I must point out that I literally just want to pull the original unit out, put in the dash kit and connect up the replacement unit using adaptor leads only simply to enable it to be put back again just as easy.
I’m not interested in better quality sound etc as its good enough for me anyway, this is purely so I can get our radio frequencies, something that plays my IPod and most importantly has built in Bluetooth as driving while using the phone is illegal here.
I have a Sony unit already in my other car which has all these features and more and I’m thinking of changing over especially if we go to Germany again this year where it will come in very handy.
I went to Best Buy and got a lead ref 70-5519 by Metra it’s for models 99 and up with premium sound and looks to have a couple of phono lead cables.
I know my Sony unit has phono sockets at the back so my question is will this just be a case of plug in and play? Because if it doesn’t I won’t bother.
Thanks and Happy New Year

BTW I was very disappointed while in Florida as I never saw any Bullitts!!
 

·
Car Whisperer
Joined
·
21,384 Posts
uk1815 said:
BTW I was very disappointed while in Florida as I never saw any Bullitts!!
A bunch of us here, had we known we would have hooked up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Guys,

Before I posted this thread I had done a bunch of research. I had read that you could use the original speakers and that it sounded better then the Mach did even when it was new ;-). I just need one more year out of the car and this deck and stock sound system should get me by. Then I'm planning on taking the car down and making it 100% show. 3 phases. Suspension year one. Running gear for year two. And year three will be paint and interior. But for now I need some tunes for that drive to Autodesk ;-).

I am leaning towards the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT. It's Bluetooth and will work with my Tilt phone. It has navigation built in and will play video. I'm also looking at adding satellite to it as well ;-). From what I have read the F900BT is a great unit once you add the updated firmware from Pioneer.
<O:p
Anyone else ran this unit yet? Also do you have any pics of your decks and how they look? <O:p></O:p>
<O:p
Thanks again for all the help on what you guys have been running ;-)... <O:p</O:p
<O:p
Bud :smile: <O:p</O:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
We have a F900BT at the shop, and it looks nice, but with Pioneer's recent problems on it's high end decks with preout noise, I've kind of given up on Pioneer until they make a line of decks for at least one year in which none of them have preout noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,837 Posts
you know, i think it was installermarc who told me that when you get that high-pitched whine in the speakers from the high's, it is the RCA's doing it, and by simply grounding the rca preouts to the stereo body with some small copper cable or wire, you can kill that completely...

shaun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
BudACAD said:
Thanks Guys,

Before I posted this thread I had done a bunch of research. I had read that you could use the original speakers and that it sounded better then the Mach did even when it was new ;-). I just need one more year out of the car and this deck and stock sound system should get me by. Then I'm planning on taking the car down and making it 100% show. 3 phases. Suspension year one. Running gear for year two. And year three will be paint and interior. But for now I need some tunes for that drive to Autodesk ;-).

I am leaning towards the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT. It's Bluetooth and will work with my Tilt phone. It has navigation built in and will play video. I'm also looking at adding satellite to it as well ;-). From what I have read the F900BT is a great unit once you add the updated firmware from Pioneer.
<O:p
Anyone else ran this unit yet? Also do you have any pics of your decks and how they look? <O:p></O:p>
<O:p
Thanks again for all the help on what you guys have been running ;-)... <O:p</O:p
<O:p
Bud :smile: <O:p</O:p
Bud- I first tested this unit in 2445 when they first came out, and was horribly diasapointed in it. I would not recomend that deck to one of my worst enimies.
And this comes from having worked in the industry for 22 years. I can say for the money, look at Kenwood's DNX-512 with the bluetooth module. The maps are much better, has RDS (if that matters much top you) and has excellent iPod control. The F900- not so much. Please really play with one of these before you buy, and ask to see it start up. Last I checked, it was around a minute EACH TIME YOU TURN ON THE CAR. But like I said, check it out in person before you buy.

Marc
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top