Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Having prob.s getting it into reverse most times. It's been suggested I 1st check the level and also change to a synthetic. Any suggestions on what synthetic to use? 9Along w/adjusting the clutch)
Thanks

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Mobil1 is the factory fill. I changed mine about 40,000 miles ago and it's been pretty flawless. Instant improvement!!!!!!!! and it got better over the next couple thousand miles!!! :)
I am just about due again for a change, and will do it over the winter.

a few people like all the small special nitch brands. I myself went back with the factory fill as Mobil is definetly good oil, was good enough for Ford & warranties, and is a good balance. Some of hte special fluids have too much detergent, not enough, or other odd properties. Plus I like being able to just go pick up a quart anywhere in the US should I need it.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Ford specifies Motorcraft Mercon ATF (XT-2-QDX) in their TSB for the 3650. Tremec recommended Texaco Dexron III. I've used Mobil 1 and now I have Royal Purple. It may be my imagination but it seemes like the RP transmits a little more noise. I have a TriAx shifter which is known to be a little noisy but I put it on about six months before changing to RP. The main thing is the quantity. 3.2 quarts. Do not overfill.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I refilled with Red Line D4 synthetic (which I had used in other troubled transmission applications with positive results), most important was to fill ONLY to the Tremac suggested level.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tremec specifies Mercon III for the 3650, not GM Syncromesh. Mobil 1 IS NOT the factory fill. (See FAQs on Tremec's website.)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
STG said:
Tremec specifies Mercon III for the 3650, not GM Syncromesh. Mobil 1 IS NOT the factory fill. (See FAQs on Tremec's website.)
I honestly don't know for sure, but it has been mentioned on here that Mobil1 was the factory fill. And yes, it does require a Mercon oil in the 3650.

also I want to reiterate the need to be pretty precise on the 3.2qts.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Royal Purple here, no problems.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Amsoil is #1 in my book. Performs flawlessly on the track and the street. Never a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
STG said:

It was in 2001.

I dumped mine because of what I perceived as "notchiness." I went with the Redline and it was almost undriveable. Went with Discount Auto Parts DexIII/Mercon and it was better. And ended up back with Mobil 1 about a two months after I dumped it in the first place. I decided notchiness was not necessarily a huge issue. It wasn't like I was missing gears.

·
Car Whisperer
20,789 Posts
Haven't tried the Mobil 1 yet. Tried the Redline and it was horrible. Switched to Valvoline and it was better, Royal Purple so far has been the best. Will try Mobil 1 next.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I use mobil1. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the owners manual says mobil1 for trans fluid. I'd check but I don't feel like going to the garage.:)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Now the guy from tremec told me mercon III or GM syncromesh for the 3650. I went with the syncromesh because thats what they use in there other transmissions. Seems to be fine, but I drive it really easy any way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts