• 15% all the way around

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
no option for 35%, so I can't vote :D

definetly not more than 20% though IMHO.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Here's what the law allows in Kansas.

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=200>Windshield</TD><TD width=400>Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. </TD></TR><TR class=AltTableRow vAlign=top><TD>Front Side Windows</TD><TD>Must allow more than 35% of light in.</TD></TR><TR><TD>Back Side Windows</TD><TD>Must allow more than 35% of light in.</TD></TR><TR class=AltTableRow vAlign=top><TD>Rear Window</TD><TD>Must allow more than 35% of light in.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I know Texas is trying to pass even tougher tint laws since a Police Officer was killed in Dallas. The windows were tinted so dark you could not see inside the vehicle. Suspect opened up with an assualt rifle.

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
Kansas: http://www.autowindowtinting.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.display&pageID=89

8-1749a

Chapter 8.--AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES

Article 17.--UNIFORM ACT REGULATING TRAFFIC; EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES

8-1749a. One-way glass and sun screening devices; requirements; penalties. (a) No motor vehicle required to be registered in this state and which is operated on the highways of this state shall be equipped with one-way glass or any sun screen device, as defined in K.S.A. 8-1749b, and used in conjunction with safety glazing materials that do not meet the following requirements:

(1) A sun screening device when used in conjunction with the windshield shall be nonreflective and shall not be red, yellow or amber in color. A sun screening device shall be used only along the top of the windshield and shall not extend downward beyond the AS1 line which is clearly defined and marked;

(2) a sun screening device when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials of the side wings or side windows located at the immediate right and left of the driver, the side windows behind the driver and the rear most window shall be nonreflective; and

(3) the total light transmission shall not be less than 35% when a sun screening device is used in conjunction with safety glazing materials or other existing sun screening devices.

(b) The superintendent of the highway patrol may adopt such rules and regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of subsection (a).

(c) This section shall not prohibit labels, stickers or other informational signs that are required or permitted by state law.

(d) No motor vehicle required to be registered in this state which is operated on the highways of this state shall be equipped with head lamps which are covered with any sun screen device, adhesive film or other glaze or application which, when such lamps are not in operation, is highly reflective or otherwise nontransparent.

(e)
(1) From and after July 1, 1987, and prior to January 1, 1988, a law enforcement officer shall issue a warning citation to any person violating the provisions of this section.

(2) From and after January 1, 1988, any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

History: L. 1977, ch. 27, § 1; L. 1984, ch. 39, § 20; L. 1987, ch. 48, § 3; July 1.

·
Registered
976 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
Here's what the law allows in Kansas.

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=200>Windshield</TD><TD width=400>Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. </TD></TR><TR class=AltTableRow vAlign=top><TD>Front Side Windows</TD><TD>Must allow more than 35% of light in.</TD></TR><TR><TD>Back Side Windows</TD><TD>Must allow more than 35% of light in.</TD></TR><TR class=AltTableRow vAlign=top><TD>Rear Window</TD><TD>Must allow more than 35% of light in.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I know Texas is trying to pass even tougher tint laws since a Police Officer was killed in Dallas. The windows were tinted so dark you could not see inside the vehicle. Suspect opened up with an assualt rifle.
I think my tint is now illegal because the law changed a year or two ago. I did not put it on, as I bought it already installed on the car. Luckily, I just passed inspection :-D. By the way, when I did(/do) get pulled over, the first thing I did (/do) is roll down the window, turn off the car, and put my hands on the steering wheel to prevent any sort of confusion.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know kansas is 35 and none of my cars are that nor do many cars out here do that...i had a police officer friend measure the factory tint on my moms van...it showed 22% or somethin like that...he then measured my fox and it was the same...he said most cops arent going to say anything about 20 as long as the window is down when they come up to ya

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
pnut said:
I think my tint is now illegal because the law changed a year or two ago. I did not put it on, as I bought it already installed on the car. Luckily, I just passed inspection :-D. By the way, when I did(/do) get pulled over, the first thing I did (/do) is roll down the window, turn off the car, and put my hands on the steering wheel to prevent any sort of confusion.
I would think you're OK as long as the Tint was installed before the law changed.

In Idaho the law came into affect in 1992/93 and there is a "Grand Father" Claus, anything before that date is deemed not in Violation, as long as you have proof... here you need to get that from the State Police!

I'm thinking of getting 20% on the front sides that will match the rear sides...

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I say 5% luckly here in st.cloud most of the cop cars are limo tinted too. lol. 35% is the legal amount here in Florida. but 35% is dumb since it is basicly the same as no tint on a florida car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts